collars for bulldogs

GizmosMommy

Nov 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo
i've seen a lot of different opinions about keeping a collar on their bulldogs. while at home none of my dogs wear a collar. When I take Gizmo to agility she HAS to wear a harness because of how overly excited she gets. But what about those times when I don't want her to wear her harness or she cant? what width collar is best? is it better to have a wider collar to keep from putting to much pressure on the trachea or is wider worse?

Jamey

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have the wider ones but I have found that the longer the length the wider they are. I buy mine at petsmart whatever brand they carry!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Winston hasn't worn a collar since he was a puppy. He doesn't wear anything inside. When he goes outside, he always wears a harness now; Bully necks are so thick and muscular a collar will slip right over his head and off. Since the purpose of a collar/leash with Winnie is to attach to his lead, he only wears a Kong harness now. His Rabies tags with name and phone are attached to the harness.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Bertie has a harness and a collar, but she usually only wears the collar. it's pretty wide, but never had any troubles. Bertie walks very well on leash and does not pull. If your dog pulls a lot while walking on a leash, I would use a harness. I take Bertie's collar off for a few hours in the evening when we are in the house, but she always wears it outdoors.

I also make sure that she is wearing the harness while in the car. The seatbelt attaches to the harness, that way if I have to slam on the break, she doesn't get stress to the neck...the harness gets it...I just feel it is better for Bertie!

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Collars don't work for walks. I keep mine loose because their necks have so much loose skin that I just feel its more comfortable. On a walk if they chose to suddenly change direction the collar would just slip right off. So it's harness every time for the bullies.

However, they do wear collars all the time but they are purely fashion accessories. I like to look at Etsy for different designs. Linus and Bella have new ones on the way as we speak!!!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I use collars. Mine each have 2.
One loose, narrow one with an ID tag on it showing my address and phone number. That way, if they get loose, I can be contacted to come get them. In my neighborhood, a neighbor WILL do that quickly. It's come in handy a few times.
Their walking collar is a wide martingale style one. They can't get out of those. They are like a choke collar in that they tighten if the dog pulls BUT you can set how much it tightens, the idea being to tighten it just enough that the dog feels it, not get choked by it. When the dog isn't pulling, it's as loose as you adjust it to be. Petsmart and Amazon have them. Here's a picture of one. martingale collar.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake and Dena both wear collars..Harness for Jake on walks..but he also has collar on. Here they need their tags to be on them on walks..I leave collars on inside too. We live in earthquake country and if the big one comes and I am away from home..I want them identifiable..they are chipped..but who walks around with scanners?

I do get the soft hemp ones from Petco/Unleashed.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Mack has a thick leather harley davidson collar with rounded spikes that came with him. He walks fine with it and at first we kept it on him all the time but a little loose. Then during his bath about 2 weeks after we got him we noticed his neck skin was a little irritated. Since then we only put his collar on to take him out. In the house he is collar free.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Zeus wears a harness when we go out. He has an Ezy Dog and a Buddy Belt, but he likes the Buddy Belt best so we use it mostly.

OP
GizmosMommy

GizmosMommy

Nov 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo
Zeus wears a harness when we go out. He has an Ezy Dog and a Buddy Belt, but he likes the Buddy Belt best so we use it mostly.

Does the buddy belt fit zeus really well? Giz has been through 3 or 4 harnesses because of rubbing. i have looked at the buddy belts but didn't know how well they would fit a bully

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Zeus wears a size 9 and it fits great, but my granddog, Dexter wears and 8 and it fits him pefectly. At first, I used the the soft protector until he was used to wearing it and now he does not use those any more. It is the best harness I have ever used on him. They are a bit pricey though. I would make sure he is through growing before I purchased it.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Winston hasn't worn a collar since he was a puppy. He doesn't wear anything inside. When he goes outside, he always wears a harness now; Bully necks are so thick and muscular a collar will slip right over his head and off. Since the purpose of a collar/leash with Winnie is to attach to his lead, he only wears a Kong harness now. His Rabies tags with name and phone are attached to the harness.

Kong harnesses are awesome aren't they? When I took Cleo to the vet on Wed we discovered that her's doesn't fit anymore as she's gained about 5lbs this winter so she has no choice but to lose it, those suckers can be expensive and i'm not about to buy her a "fat" harness as well. We're waiting for mac to be completely grown before getting him a Kong. Daddy even got her the matching lead, pink of course!

OP
GizmosMommy

GizmosMommy

Nov 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo
Zeus wears a size 9 and it fits great, but my granddog, Dexter wears and 8 and it fits him pefectly. At first, I used the the soft protector until he was used to wearing it and now he does not use those any more. It is the best harness I have ever used on him. They are a bit pricey though. I would make sure he is through growing before I purchased it.

Might have to be a christmas gift next year. =)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.