hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
What are your guys' thoughts on this?

I'm just wondering because Matilda was supposed to be a miniature English bully. Not that I wanted a mini one - I just stumbled upon an amazing breeder who calls hers "minis", and I thought, well, for a healthy, happy bully, I don't care if she's a little smaller. If anything, I was debating finding another breeder to get a full-sized bully. But I loved this breeder so much, I went with her anyway!

Now, for those who don't know, a mini EB is a fully-bred EB - they've just been bred with the smaller EBs to produce a smaller size. Matilda's mother was only 35 lbs!

That said.... Matilda is already 43 lbs and only 6 months old! :D Looks like I got my wish!

So, these "mini" EB's are really just a game of chance... Matilda's in perfect shape and estimated to be 60 lbs ... definitely, definitely NOT mini!

What do you all think about this? I don't really think they can classify them as minis... It's not a separate breed, just chance!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'll be totally honest and say I dont' know a LOT about mini bulldogs. All I can say is that we got Maggie as a normal English Bulldog and yet she only grew to a full size of 35-36lbs. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] has Orion who is about the same size too and she is a standard English Bulldog.

I think it's just a game of chance really!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't know too much about them..pretty much like what you said. They aren't recognized by AKC as a breed..just bred to be smaller maybe [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] might have more insight!

43 lbs is perfect! I was at my vets and on the big Dog chart where they list every breed ever..lol..they have Bully's as between 40 and 50 pounds. Looks like Matilda really is perfect! :D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
OK there are some true EB's that are smaller than others. The average weight on a female EB is 45 to 55 lbs. Some are a little smaller and of coarse some are larger. The "mini's" that people are breeding are an EB crossed with a pug, to get the smaller sizes. As far as their health or temperament, I know nothing about that.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
both Diesel & Molly are on the smaller side, Diesel is the runt of the litter and has stayed really small compared to most male bulldogs and he weighs in around 36-37lbs and Molly is small but heavy lol she is about 46lbs but looks small like Diesel you just don't realize how big she is until you pick her up.

Peter Haban

Feb 28, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
bully
Tj0034.jpg
she is my Haban"s Bully she 30 lbs. 3 years

Peter Haban

Feb 28, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
bully
It is a matter of genetics, and pick breeder.
the truth is that even the deliberate choice of the smaller bulldogs, they'll always be in the litter and larger bulldogs

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I always thought that mini bulldogs were just english bulldogs bred with either a pug and some are even bred with a boston terriers. I could be wrong, as I don't really know anything about them. My grandma bred them, but not mini's....just regular.

disturbedmuffin

Dec 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
my boy is 37 lbs, hes 10 months now, Im not sure but i don't think he will get much heavier.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I think there are breeders who are breeding small EB's with other small EB's purposely to try to get smaller puppies just like Matilda and Haban.
And there are those who breed EB's with pugs but obviously those wouldn't be able to be registered.
HRH is registered and weighs about 42 lbs. and is significantly more petite than most of the bully's we meet. We love that she's smaller and if/when the time comes that we are looking for another girl we would prefer a smaller bully. However if just the right big girl happened to be there at the time we would love her just as much.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online