Again... another question on insurance.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I am in the process of switching from VPI to Trupanion and I was wondering if people that have Trupanion supplement their policy with another insurance to cover the things that Trupanion does not (vaccines, deworming, dental cleaning, spay/neutering). Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am in the process of switching from VPI to Trupanion and I was wondering if people that have Trupanion supplement their policy with another insurance to cover the things that Trupanion does not (vaccines, deworming, dental cleaning, spay/neutering). Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I wouldn't because most of those are low cost or by choice. Most vets offer a "puppy well package" anyway. You want the insurance to cover the big stuff, but hopefully you will never need it. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I wouldn't because most of those are low cost or by choice. Most vets offer a "puppy well package" anyway. You want the insurance to cover the big stuff, but hopefully you will never need it. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

I am leaning towards that too... Izzy still a baby but hopefully the vaccines will start to slow down quite a bit but I still need to pay to get her fixed soon.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have Trupanion and do not supplement w/any other insurance. I keep a savings account for both Tate and Finn that I contribute to bi-monthly for the less "big ticket" expenses.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have Trupanion and also Care Credit..but I chose a large deductible. I bought insurance just for the major unexpected things. All his regular stuff is on us! :D

[MENTION=7606]BIGBIGSURGE[/MENTION]...you might want to do a search on pet Insurance. We have some great threads that should help you decide.. And please post an intro so we can welcome you and Sasha properly! :D

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
So I take it VPI is the way to go for my 3 month old?
Well my experience wasn't that great and I will explain why. I got Izzy when she was 9 weeks old and i made sure to sign up with VPI right away. I did some research prior to choosing and thought that VPI offered the best package with an insurance policy plus the wellness package. The down fall is that they only cover a certain amount per year... Which is not a lot if you also have a puppy. During out third visit to the vet we already maxed out on the vaccine and several other items that were in included. I guess the first claim that we submitted we got the biggest reimburse and it went downhill after that.

i was waiting until she got fixed to switch to a different company but VPI only covers $100 of the entire procedure so I am not even sure if it is worth waiting for. Izzy also had the cherry eye surgery and I have been fighting with them since November to get my money back. They keep asking for more medical records and I already gave them everything! She is 5 months and of course her medical history is not that long so now my boyfriend is in contact with the insurance company since he is a lawyer and he knows how they work.

i guess you need to check some prices of vaccines, microchip, deworm medication, spay/neuter with your vet and decide if you want an insurance more focused on illness and accidents or one that offer the wellness package too. Look into Banfield... Some locations have good vets that are familiar with EB and eh have a good package.

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
I started with PetPlan and then switched to Trupanion. I have been on the fence with going to Healthy Paws because they are more reasonable for the premiums and cover basically what Trupanion does, with the exception of hip displeasia for the first year. Trupanion does reimburse 70-90 percent of the actual costs, others only reimburse normal costs, not what you paid. Good luck with your decision.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well my experience wasn't that great and I will explain why. I got Izzy when she was 9 weeks old and i made sure to sign up with VPI right away. I did some research prior to choosing and thought that VPI offered the best package with an insurance policy plus the wellness package. The down fall is that they only cover a certain amount per year... Which is not a lot if you also have a puppy. During out third visit to the vet we already maxed out on the vaccine and several other items that were in included. I guess the first claim that we submitted we got the biggest reimburse and it went downhill after that.

i was waiting until she got fixed to switch to a different company but VPI only covers $100 of the entire procedure so I am not even sure if it is worth waiting for. Izzy also had the cherry eye surgery and I have been fighting with them since November to get my money back. They keep asking for more medical records and I already gave them everything! She is 5 months and of course her medical history is not that long so now my boyfriend is in contact with the insurance company since he is a lawyer and he knows how they work.

i guess you need to check some prices of vaccines, microchip, deworm medication, spay/neuter with your vet and decide if you want an insurance more focused on illness and accidents or one that offer the wellness package too. Look into Banfield... Some locations have good vets that are familiar with EB and eh have a good package.

[MENTION=6424]Tank1023[/MENTION]. Here is someone with VPI too..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.