bulldog puppy help

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
my 13 week old puppy is so destructive, im running around after her non stop when she is out of her crate!! she chews everything and bites our legs as we walk and chases my toddler and bites her and knocks her over, i dont know what to do she wont listen to anything...i have to crate her when my toddler is awake and playing because of this...otherwise she bites her legs feet and knocks her over to wrestle her and leaves marks...she is non stop crazy i need help please

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
well, she sounds like a "normal" bulldog puppy to me! 13 weeks is very young and a good time to start w/some basic obedient classes. Have you signed her up for that yet?

I'm sure you have tried these already but lots of chew toys and bitter Apple will be helpful too.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
This is normal. She's a puppy and a very young puppy. Just like your toddler, a puppy needs to learn and be taught things. Is this your first puppy? I just had 3 in the last 2 years and it had been years since I raised puppies. All three were quite a handfull but with training and consistency they're all coming into their own now. Here is a wonderful article to read for new puppies. Welcoming Home Your New Bulldog Puppy. Bulldogs are known for being stubborn, it's part of their breed, and puppies are no different. Hang in there and be patient.

Also, the teething process is happening right now and will continue until approximately 6 months. Do you have good puppy chew toys?

Last edited:
OP
Luci Jo's mama

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
yes i have many chew toys, but she prefers my toddlers legs and feet and hands..i have had pupiies before and i am doing everything right, by the book, and she just has no care about dicipline. shes great otherwise but this is hard, its extreme. not just little nips and once in awhile, its constant and very rough. i am trying everything tho thanks!!!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
What you are experiencing is completely normal! I too have posted about all the biting, and the advice is all the same: Stay firm, be consistent, and find what works. We tried the shake can, water bottle spray, redirection (we still do that CONSTANTLY) and nothing seemed to taste better than our feet and hands. When he gets really wild, I crate him. That does seem to calm him down. I just said the other day that it has been 10 years since I had a puppy and I had forgotten how hard they can be, and I certainly can't imagine having a toddler to watch too! Crating her when the baby is up is a good thing. I have puppy bites all over my hands and feet. We are just staying the course and BELIEVING everyone here that it is normal and WILL go away (before you do!) Good luck!!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
It must be extra frustrating because you have a vulnerable little skin kid and have to think about her safety. A couple of things to think about. You need to read up on bite inhibition and try some of the techniques. I know it is frustrating and it seems like it will never end but it will. The worst part is trying not to show your (very understandable) frustration which you little pup will just read as excitement and it will energize her. Chasing her is what she loves. All the attention is just wonderful to her. I remember with my first pup - she would eat cat poop :barf:every time we went outside and I would yell at her and chase her to get away from the poop. I finally in sheer frustration asked my vet if there was anything I could do to stop her and he said "quit chasing her" By that he meant I was giving attention to the wrong thing. Puppies need to be told what to do rather than what not to do. Your pups age is about the time I enrolled Miss Tallulah in Puppy Manners 1 class. She was a singleton pup and had no bite inhibition because she had no littler mates to begin to teach her. And she was only with her mum for 8 weeks. And because Bullies are stubborn and unlike other dogs do not surrender easily to aggressive or punishing methods you need to really consider a trainer who does positive reinforcement techniques along with calm assertive energy training. Miss T went through Puppy Manners 1 & 2 and leash training, as well as lots of work on bite inhibition and now that she has just turned one year old, she is a delight. I am seriously thinking of having her become a therapy dog for sick children and the elderly because she is so loving and gentle. I was SO frustrated and felt like there would be no end to the razor sharp little needle teeth scars on my arms and even a few on my face. But this will pass. Your pup is old enough for positive training and you will be so encouraged by the results. We all wish you much success, because Bullies are amazing and special dogs.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
This is Lola to the T! She was just like that and sometimes still is at 7 months. She loved my girls footed sleepers and would bite at them whenever they had them on. I started clapping my hand and saying no in a loud stern voice but not yelling, and she eventually stopped doing it so much. The clapping gets their attention and the stern no lets them know that action is no acceptable. But let me tell you it took a while to stop this! As puppies grow they come out of it just takes time.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
my 13 week old puppy is so destructive, im running around after her non stop when she is out of her crate!! she chews everything and bites our legs as we walk and chases my toddler and bites her and knocks her over, i dont know what to do she wont listen to anything...i have to crate her when my toddler is awake and playing because of this...otherwise she bites her legs feet and knocks her over to wrestle her and leaves marks...she is non stop crazy i need help please

with her being so young and playful I would suggest having her on a leash while in the house so when she starts to nip or play to rough you can get her leash and have some control ... give a slight tug to the side on the leash and disagree with her behavior. set very clear Rules, Boundaries and Limitations for her and be very Consistent ... just like trying to teach your toddler what is ok and not ok you have to do the same thing with Lucy, she has to rely on you to learn how to be a family member. I agree with [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], signing her up for puppy obedience is an excellent idea, and a great bonding time with her. Calm assertive energy leads the pack and just want to throw this out there being assertive never means aggressive or angry so if she is trying your patience take a deep breath to calm your nerves, then deal with the situation.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You've been given amazing advice already and I truly hope it helps. It's so difficult at this stage because it's like you do everything right and just go nowhere. You will ... don't give up, even though at times it seems hopeless. WE all get there in the end!!! :assurred:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
yes i have many chew toys, but she prefers my toddlers legs and feet and hands..i have had pupiies before and i am doing everything right, by the book, and she just has no care about dicipline. shes great otherwise but this is hard, its extreme. not just little nips and once in awhile, its constant and very rough. i am trying everything tho thanks!!!!

I know how frustrating it is when there is a wee human and a puppy together! I went thru this with Jake and my grandson. What everyone has told you is true. It will pass. But I was going to suggest what [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] did. Use a leash and correct the behavior. Just be consistent and redirecting with chew toys will help. I would use the crate too! Hang in there..it gets better! :yes/

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I tend to forget sometimes what it's like to have a little one in the house. Mine's full grown and I have no grandkids yet. He may be just the tough one. Like everyone else has said, just stay firm and be consistent. :)

OP
Luci Jo's mama

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
my daughter is 18 months old and loves to run around and roll around,,lucy is fine with her until she runs or lays on floor..i cant tell my baby bot to do this so i must teach lucy and she think my baby is a play toy, biting her and clawing her and wrestling her to the ground..maybe i shouldve waited for a puppy..my heart is broken.i have to crate her alot and i hate doing that she looks so sad in her crate, i been redirected her, saying firm no, shake can of pennies, nothing works, she grabs food right out of my babys hand and chews her feet and pants when she walks im just in over my head and super upset with all this

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
my daughter is 18 months old and loves to run around and roll around,,lucy is fine with her until she runs or lays on floor..i cant tell my baby bot to do this so i must teach lucy and she think my baby is a play toy, biting her and clawing her and wrestling her to the ground..maybe i shouldve waited for a puppy..my heart is broken.i have to crate her alot and i hate doing that she looks so sad in her crate, i been redirected her, saying firm no, shake can of pennies, nothing works, she grabs food right out of my babys hand and chews her feet and pants when she walks im just in over my head and super upset with all this

To be honest she probably sees your daughter as another puppy so as soon as she hits the floor then it's .......... yay play time with my baby sister which is why she starts playing in the same way as she would with a litter mate. The difference is that puppies playing together teach each other social skills and boundaries, whereas it's not so easy getting an 18 month old to assume the role!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

You need to protect your daughter. Don't worry...Lucy will outgrow this. I promise you! Try not to feel so bad and worry about it. Just keep trying to correct her and one day she will surprise you and be calmer. This is temporary..and Lucy won't remember that she spent extra time in her crate. :hug:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.