Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bulldog puppy help

Bulldog(s) Names
    Luci Jo
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: bulldog puppy help

my daughter is 18 months old and loves to run around and roll around,,lucy is fine with her until she runs or lays on floor..i cant tell my baby bot to do this so i must teach lucy and she think my baby is a play toy, biting her and clawing her and wrestling her to the ground..maybe i shouldve waited for a puppy..my heart is broken.i have to crate her alot and i hate doing that she looks so sad in her crate, i been redirected her, saying firm no, shake can of pennies, nothing works, she grabs food right out of my babys hand and chews her feet and pants when she walks im just in over my head and super upset with all this

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucybaby View Post
    my daughter is 18 months old and loves to run around and roll around,,lucy is fine with her until she runs or lays on floor..i cant tell my baby bot to do this so i must teach lucy and she think my baby is a play toy, biting her and clawing her and wrestling her to the ground..maybe i shouldve waited for a puppy..my heart is broken.i have to crate her alot and i hate doing that she looks so sad in her crate, i been redirected her, saying firm no, shake can of pennies, nothing works, she grabs food right out of my babys hand and chews her feet and pants when she walks im just in over my head and super upset with all this

To be honest she probably sees your daughter as another puppy so as soon as she hits the floor then it's .......... yay play time with my baby sister which is why she starts playing in the same way as she would with a litter mate. The difference is that puppies playing together teach each other social skills and boundaries, whereas it's not so easy getting an 18 month old to assume the role!!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucybaby View Post

You need to protect your daughter. Don't worry...Lucy will outgrow this. I promise you! Try not to feel so bad and worry about it. Just keep trying to correct her and one day she will surprise you and be calmer. This is temporary..and Lucy won't remember that she spent extra time in her crate.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Luci Jo
    Likes (Received)

ughhh thank you all so much!!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I agree that Lucy thinks she is playing with a puppy. The advice here is sound. Redirecting Lucy when she demonstrates unwanted behaviours by crating (not as punishment but as management) her or putting her in a penned area ( always a good idea) away from the action when your daughter is on the floor will motivate her to change behaviour so she can be with her pack. If Lucy does play quietly or nicely with your toddler at any time, give her treats to reinforce this. I used to walk by Miss T when she was being good in her pen and randomly give her a tiny treat so as to say "yes this is what I want. " Miss T was in her penned area a lot as a pup because she was a holy terror. It will really help too if you keep her on a drag leash so you can jump in when necessary and give direction. I found putting her harness on with her leash dragging behind her inhibited her rambunctiousness. Also make sure she is getting lots of leash walks to burn off the crazy puppy stuff. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. You must be so frustrated!

“Happiness is a warm puppy.”
    Charles M. Schulz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads