Stig escaped for the 5th time! :faint:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
So I come home yesterday from work and my mom quickly tells me that Stig ran out the front door ... and wasn't caught for 15 min! :eek:

Apparently, my dad answered the door and instead of inviting the guest (my uncle) in, they spoke for a while, with the door open! Stig being the opportunist he is, sprinted out. And instead of chasing him right away, my dad called for my mom who was in the garage. And again, instead of running outside, she looked for his fave toy so she can coax him in. She couldn't find one and finally went out. Five min probably passed already. :( My uncle went with her and they couldn't locate him at first. They saw a neighbor getting his mail and asked him if he saw a dog running loose. He did (thankfully!) and went with them to where he last saw him. Stig was already 3 streets down! :*( I don't know how they were able to get hold of him, but it took a while.

I'm a little frustrated because this has been the 3rd time that my dad let him loose since we moved in this past summer. Twice because he was bringing groceries in and didn't close the door fully. Hopefully he'll learn from this ordeal but I'm also not taking any chances. I know that he can be a really passive person. That evening, I researched online for a company that can install porch enclosures and inquired for them to stop by for a quote/plans. I'm also going to get an ex-pen to block the foyer area. My bf also said to put up signs by the front door and on the ex-pen when it arrives to watch out for the boys, especially Stiggy! I am praying that all of these containment plans will keep everyone reminded to watch out for the boys when that door needs to be opened.

My bf and I will also start training him again to not cross the front door unless invited to do so.

Just thinking about it gives me chills. I'm so very thankful that there weren't any cars around. What if he couldn't be found!? I'm going to stop now before I stress myself out ...

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: Jamelyn! How frightening! I thought of an Xpen after the last trip around the neighborhood. What is most scary is Stig has learned what to do and when AND the odds increase of him getting lost each time! :hug:

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION], have you thought of an electronic fence? I'm seriously considering it for here since they have to go to the front to do their business and there is no fencing here in this housing.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
@savemejeebus, have you thought of an electronic fence? I'm seriously considering it for here since they have to go to the front to do their business and there is no fencing here in this housing.

I was going to recommend the exact same, the only part that is going to be tough, is leaving that collar on him, its a special collar they need to wear that works with the invisible / electronic fence.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
:ohmy: Jamelyn! How frightening! I thought of an Xpen after the last trip around the neighborhood. What is most scary is Stig has learned what to do and when AND the odds increase of him getting lost each time! :hug:

Thought of that too. He's very attentive with routines, so I know he's always going to look for that opportunity. I'll pick up another x-pen tomorrow and place it at the foyer, even if doesn't look attractive placing it there.

@savemejeebus, have you thought of an electronic fence? I'm seriously considering it for here since they have to go to the front to do their business and there is no fencing here in this housing.

Since my bf and I aren't always home, we prefer not to put a collar on them. They have free roam of a floor and we're always afraid that it may get caught somewhere. We're contemplating on putting a harness on them always since it's not around the neck area, but we're still considering the idea.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I was going to recommend the exact same, the only part that is going to be tough, is leaving that collar on him, its a special collar they need to wear that works with the invisible / electronic fence.

Exactly. That's what I'm afraid of! It would be fantastic for those who are mostly home though!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have a gate up at the front door so the dogs can't just go outside, because that is my least controlled place with Diesel & Molly, they get so darn excited it takes me forever to calm them down so it was easiest to put up a baby gate ... training cop out for me I know but better safe then sorry ... baby steps :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

We had the Invisible Fence 30 years ago..when we lived in Colorado. Although I hated the thought of a shock..we tested it on ourselves and it was really nothing. We lived in an area where deer would be everywhere and there were wild dogs. People had permission to shoot..no questions asked..if dogs were chasing the deer. No one had fences and our Dobies were California Dawgs..no way would they let deer cross right in front of them! After a few training sessions..our Dobies never even thought of chasing the deer. But..one caution..if they leave..they won't cross back because the shock works both ways!

:hmm: on second thought..maybe your dad could get a wee shock when he answered the door without securing Stiggy and Punkin!!!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
How scary! I would be freaking out! I hope your dad learned his lesion!

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
:hmm: on second thought..maybe your dad could get a wee shock when he answered the door without securing Stiggy and Punkin!!!

Would it be wrong to say that maybe even that won't teach him? lol (Sorry dad, love ya!)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You have my sympathy, I've been there, done that, it's frustrating, draining
and irritating...even if you do love Dad.

Thank goodness you DID get Stiggy back but since bullies are smart, each time
this has happened, it makes the NEXT time inevitable...KUDOS for being proactive!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I admit, it isn't something I really worry about as my Winston isn't an explorer. He really doesn't like to be more than about ten feet away from Mama, unless it is to be with Daddy. My fears are more along the lines of someone taking him- but he is never ever left alone outside. He's a couch potato for sure.

I think making a barricade would help immensely. A second door that could be closed before the next is opened, and definitely some training work with your dad! He's got to understand he can't make opportunities like that for little Stiggy.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Ugh! Been there too. Not sure if any of what I'm going to say was mentioned, I didn't read all the posts yet. I'll tell you the two things that worked for us. First, we have a baby gate that seperates both dogs from entering the kitchen where the door is. Second, but most important, this is the door the dogs always come in and go out of. When we put their leashes on to go out, the door does not open until they are in a sit. If I feel the leash tighten, I will say "no, sit, stay". When they do this I say " ok let's go" this has worked tremendously. It did take a lot of time and patience. Once they got in this routine they actually sit at the door wether its open or not. I even had leashes on them in the sit position and would open the door but not take them out until I say ok let's go. The hardest part for you is going to be to " train" your parents to do the same. 😉

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
So scary. I've only lost a bully once; Bea -- for about 30-40 minutes. It felt like decades. Bo scared her by knocking over a flower pot on a stand. Bea freaked and ran THRU a rickity fence I had jerry rigged up on that end of the dog yard. I was never so happy to find that pup! We have real fence and no more jerry rigging back there now....LOL

The greeting at the door is generally a "trouble spot" for folks with dogs. Mine are bad. They RACE to the door to greet whomever it is and even though I have a standard rule of "No touch, no talk, no eye contact", people NEVER do it. "They're so cute -- how can I not say hello?" is the most common thing I hear from visitors. The good news is that they settle down pretty quickly, the older they get.

Bea and Bo are NOT ALLOWED off the front porch/deck without authorization, so even if they run out to greet someone -- which I let them do --- they won't leave the front porch and deck (it's all one level). This has NOT been tested by, say, something as appealing as the neighbor's Boxer romping in the driveway or, say, a "giant cookie" on the stairs..... but so far, they've not broken the rule and this is only after LOTS of practice and redirection. One of these days, I need to reallly put this to the test with someone AMAZING that they'll want to leap off the porch for. Yesterday though, Bo stayed on the porch through me cooing and wooing over the neighbor's Yorkie....he didn't move a muscle. I was shocked and amazed. Truly. Shocked and amazed.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.