Vacations and Bully's

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] Thanks! I already joined your group, I'm just waiting on a pending membership. Will they send me an email when it's approved? We recently went to a large Petsmart that has their own "hotel" that I checked out for future use if necessary but I'd rather always support a mom & pop place or local of course. I know for next Christmas we will be taking them to AZ with us. My sister has just bought a very large house with a mudroom and all and she thinks they'll like it very much so we'll be driving down. They love going on our trips with us and they are really good in the truck.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
@BruceP Thanks! I already joined your group, I'm just waiting on a pending membership. Will they send me an email when it's approved? We recently went to a large Petsmart that has their own "hotel" that I checked out for future use if necessary but I'd rather always support a mom & pop place or local of course. I know for next Christmas we will be taking them to AZ with us. My sister has just bought a very large house with a mudroom and all and she thinks they'll like it very much so we'll be driving down. They love going on our trips with us and they are really good in the truck.

I have nothing to do with how that club works.... just a member to find out where meetups are. I was thinking that maybe one of the members south of Milw. would know of a place.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Be mindful that there is a difference between boarding kennels and doggie daycare/vacation places. I do not like the idea of my dogs being crated for any length of time, they are not used to it and I dont like them being so restricted. But even if I did crate them at home, I would not want them crated for long periods of time, like they do in some boarding kennel places. I have found some nice places that are cage/kennel free where all dogs need to be screened for aggressiveness etc.. with other dogs before being allowed there and are kept under close supervision, but the idea is to give your dog a vacation while you are away. One place I know of like that is a place called Dogs At Camp, they have several locations, the one I used near me was really great, however my husband and I agreed to take separate vacations so dogs are safe and happy under our care at home.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
We used to board Aubrey some and I hate the place we used. The only time we have left Aubie was for a weekend and she stayed with my boss, who also babysat Aubrey a couple of times. We are actually going on a cruise at the end of this month and are trying to decide where to place her. A friend of mine wants to watch her, but she has two dogs smaller that Aubie. Aubie is used to other dogs, but she gets excited at times with them. I think we will let them meet and maybe see if she wants t do a day test to see how it works out. Aubie knows her,and I know her family would spoil her. It's a matter of how she is with The dogs and cat.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I have decided I can never go on vacation ever again because I don't want to leave my Tooleybear.:cry: But if I was forced to I would get a pet sitter. Her dog sitter comes in once a day when I have to go in to work and takes her out for potty and plays with her for about 30 minutes. She has offered to stay at my place and even sleep in our bed with Miss T. Doggy day care is too risky because she is very quiet and shy. And her Shy and Small play group doesn't do overnights. Although if they did I would consider it as she loves the trainer. But I get separation anxiety just thinking about it!!!

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Some good information here. Thanks everyone. I'm thinking of calling our breeder and seeing if she'd like to board Ellie while we're gone as they're only 40-ish minutes up the road. I know the kennels at our vet are much larger (3'Wx5'L) than being crated. Still got some homework to do on this though.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.