Vacations and Bully's

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Just wondering how some of you handle vacations that your bully's can't join you on. Do you board them? Hire a pet sitter? Hope a trusted family member/friend will watch them? We're taking a vacation in May of this year that requires flying, so no Ellie to join us. In the past, we've boarded with our vet, but I'm just curious what others do if they can't take their pups with them. Should anything come up health wise, I feel more comfortable about her being at the vets office, but I know that she'll be kenneled a large portion of the day. Even though my parents live down the road in the same subdivision, they're getting older and they're used to the pulling strength of a 5lb Yorkie and not a 33lb bully. There's also a "dog gym" that offers boarding, but I'm not sure if I like their arrangements as you bring your own crate and the dogs are all in one big room. Thanks for any input.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
After many years of boarding..we have lately used a pet sitter. And it is sooo much better. At least for us. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats and everyone gets to stay at home. A wonderful gal that used to work at my vets started her own petsitting business a few years ago and while not cheap..I know she knows what to do if anyone gets sick and I feel perfectly comfortable with her in my home. One thing I always do..is leave my credit card info at my vets if needed. But..I am sure they would treat my critters even if I didn't. It is such a hard decision and honestly, I hate leaving my animals...

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Good idea about leaving c.card info at vet, Becky. I haven't vacationed yet w/out my boys but I plan to use a pet sitter also when I go on an extended trip. I go thru a local pet sitting agency.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I am super lucky, my very close friends are the breeder of Diesel & Molly and we have an arrangement that if I have to go out of town and can't take them with me they will babysit them for me. I've only left them once and although it was pretty rough on Diesel, he cried the whole time I was gone (2 days) and nothing they tried could make him happy but I'm positive it was WAY harder on me then them!!!

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I'm not sure what we'll do now that we've moved!! We had several dear friends that used to fight over who'd watch them if we had to leave them behind, last summer we split them up to be watched for a week and they did fine. This summer I will be making 2 3-day weekend trips to fly my kids back and forth to AZ to visit family for the summer and hubby works very long hours here at Navy bootcamp so I'm not sure what we'll do. I will most likely board them but will definitely search around for the best place. We'll most likely fly out of Milwaukee's airport so I don't have to deal with Chicago's traffic and it's the same distance but if I have to board them closer to the city then that's fine with me if they get the best care. Ugh, my tummy hurts just thinking about it. It double sucks since the kids will be staying behind for a couple months.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm not sure what we'll do now that we've moved!! We had several dear friends that used to fight over who'd watch them if we had to leave them behind, last summer we split them up to be watched for a week and they did fine. This summer I will be making 2 3-day weekend trips to fly my kids back and forth to AZ to visit family for the summer and hubby works very long hours here at Navy bootcamp so I'm not sure what we'll do. I will most likely board them but will definitely search around for the best place. We'll most likely fly out of Milwaukee's airport so I don't have to deal with Chicago's traffic and it's the same distance but if I have to board them closer to the city then that's fine with me if they get the best care. Ugh, my tummy hurts just thinking about it. It double sucks since the kids will be staying behind for a couple months.

Maybe @BruceP knows of a good place to board..He is in Milwaukee. I know just how your tummy feels. And may I say Arizona in the summer?? LOL...prepare your kids!!

babybully

May 31, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Maybe @BruceP knows of a good place to board..He is in Milwaukee. I know just how your tummy feels. And may I say Arizona in the summer?? LOL...prepare your kids!!

Hey, hey!! We prefer to spend our summers in AZ. It's a dry heat. No, really, it's not bad at all and we're used to it anyway. I'm from a really small town in AZ so I grew up in the desert and it's not bad at all. The bullies got to go there this summer when we were moving from WA to IL and they didn't like it too much. Had to stay in their kennels all day with the fans on them and only got to play at night or in the kiddie pool during the day. But yes, I'll have to ask Bruce P. if he's used any kennels or knows any. I've joined (or at least tried, membership pending) the Milwaukee bully group he told me about so I'll hope to get lots of opinions by then.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hey, hey!! We prefer to spend our summers in AZ. It's a dry heat. No, really, it's not bad at all and we're used to it anyway. I'm from a really small town in AZ so I grew up in the desert and it's not bad at all. The bullies got to go there this summer when we were moving from WA to IL and they didn't like it too much. Had to stay in their kennels all day with the fans on them and only got to play at night or in the kiddie pool during the day. But yes, I'll have to ask Bruce P. if he's used any kennels or knows any. I've joined (or at least tried, membership pending) the Milwaukee bully group he told me about so I'll hope to get lots of opinions by then.

Ohhhhh..:ROFL: ya..the DRY heat!!! I am such a weenie! I hate the heat and I have been known to use Jake as an excuse! :shhhh: But...I know many love it. :D

babybully

May 31, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], well I hate the heat as well but it's better than a humid heat. I hate the heat most like due to being raised in the desert. I love, love, loved and still do WA. I lived on Whidbey Island about 2.5 hours north of Seattle and it rained almost everyday and i loved it. I miss it sooooo much.

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
I usually board Tipsy at Petsmart or Barkleys. She likes the staff there and they have vet right in the facilities just in case. For longer trips, I either take her with me and stay at pet friendly lodging or get a friend to bullysit.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I moved from AZ a little over a year ago and hated the heat! I usually board Lola with her vet if I need to because I figure she is safe there because they have someone there 24/7 because they are an animal ER as well! I love the staff their!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
We like to put Winston in Doggy Day Care. It's a little expensive, but not too bad and we just include it in our vacation budget. It's like a minivacation for him too, as he gets to spend all day playing with other doggies in a controlled environment, and he loves the staff there very much. We will also take him there for just a play session once in a while, when we seriously need to work out some of his energy. He's always tired out when we pick him up, he's always happy to go there, and he's always delighted to see us again when we pick him up. It's a win/win for all of us. :)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
When we were over in the USA October nd November Ftse stayed with my daughter and her amily and he was spoiled and looked after very well but I missed him so much.

goatheaven

Nov 6, 2010
South Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Annie
We left Annie at home with a petsitter one time. She was scared to death, would not eat etc. We came back 24 hours later. After much thought we decided to buy an RV so now wherever we go she goes. She loves it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=2488]babybully[/MENTION]
I can't help with boarding but have a suggestion. Here is the addy of our Milw. area bulldog meet up group.
http://www.meetup.com/MilwaukeeBulldogLovers/

Join and post your question there because there are some members from Racine/Kenosha area which is between you and I which would be even more convenient than Milw. and are bound to have boarding places. You may even find a member that would watch him for a couple days.
We know little about boarding here but I'll dig around and see what I can find out.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.