Do Bullys recognize similar breeds?

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I try to take Chunk to the dog park 1-2 times a week, and I've noticed that he trys to to hang with other bully breeds more than other dogs.
It was most obvious yesterday when a staffie mix came to play, Chunk was his little shadow! and even looked sad when he left. The staffie's skin mom told me that he usually won't play with puppys, and was suprized that he was so tollerent of my guy, who is still in the obnoxious puppy phase.
Do ya'll find that your Bullys are more likely to play with other bullys?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hmm: Good Question! Jake really loves anything with legs..2 legged..4 legged..even cats! But he truly loves his meet ups with his litter mates! :D

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Winston is just a friendly, outgoing dog. He loves all dogs, regardless of if they like him or not. However, at the dog park and at day camp, he tends to pick out the other bulldogs if there are any, and his other favorite seems to be chocolate labs.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Absolutely! Izzy will be go towards English bulldogs and French bulldogs when she sees them. It's almost like they will play in a similar way which is more fun for her!!!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My two Guys like to play with all breeds of dogs large or small. They think everyone is their friend

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH has seemed to be calmer at the meet ups we've taken her to when bully's are there than when not many or any bullies have been there. Usually, say at Petsmart where she sees different dogs she seems to like bigger dogs and shows an interest in them, and she seems to ignore small dogs. Mostly though she just wants to be sure both mom and dad stay within eyeshot.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I believe they recognize other bullies, I see they (the bulldogs) give respect to each others strong energy and gravitate to it. ... right now in my own home I'm seeing this, Destiny (my foster) is great with the bulldogs but she is less tolerant of my sons Chocolate Lab, who has a weak, very submissive energy and Destiny is strong dominate female and doesn't seem to tolerate the weak energy ... light bulb just came on and I see the root of my problem, I've got to empower Ally in Destiny's eyes! Wow glad this topic was brought up!!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Mine think the little yap yap dogs are squeak toys. :2thumbs:

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Miss Tallulah so desperately wants everybody human and beastie to play with her. She just loves everyone. But it is true-She does prefer other Brachycephalics when she sees one. I think it is the short snout, stubby tails, and pushed out chests. It is like they speak the same body language. I have read that some other dogs see this pushed out chest and no tail signal as aggressive. One rude husky pup attacked her on the neck and scared her when we were in the unleashed dog park. It was fast and it didn't hurt her but she had not done anything to provoke it. And she was just a puppy. I dived in and stopped it. The owner was not in control of his dog. So to build her confidence I take her to "shy and small " puppy socialization and the small dogs give her butt a few sniffs and basically ignore her. ( she IS 50 lbs). She has decided her job is to supervise the small puppies and make sure they don't hurt each other. She hovers over or nearby and when they get too rambunctious and one of them yelps she steps in and gently breaks it up. The trainer who runs these classes would like Miss Tallulah to come to her day care a few days a week to keep doing her thing. I feel bad she doesn't have any other Bullies to play with.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I believe to some extend they know their breed, but based on my experiences... dogs like people tend to gravitate based on like and dislike.

Banks as example. does not in anyway like dogs with long hair, she truly hates them. She can tolerate both big and little dogs, but high energy dogs --- no way, I try to keep her away from labs, goldens, all terriers and herdding breeds. She LOVE Great Danes, Cane Corsos and PtiBulls

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I used to think they didn't, you know a dog is a dog is a dog. That was until I got Emma and I threw that logic right out the window. I swear they know they're the same breed, just by the way they play together.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have an assortment of breeds .. but when it comes to playing the three bullies do seem to gravitate towards each other!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online