One crate two bullies?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have been interested in getting Lola a sibling and I know babies sometimes miss their siblings when they are young so how many of you have put a older bully in with a baby at night or do each of them get their own crate?

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I have no experience with more than one dog, but I would definitely give the new puppy his/her own kennel, and place it close to Lola.

You don't know how your established baby is going to react to "competition." She may hate the idea of someone else sharing her home and her family, and might injure the pup. She might even injure the pup accidentally, just by not being able to see her butt when she turns around.

I can think of a lot of scenarios that would make me nervous about them sharing a crate or kennel.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Definitely separate crates for each ... Diesel & Molly will sometimes get in together but I don't let them stay in with the door shut.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Separate crates. If they were puppies then it would be ok for a bit. They'll each need their own space, especially as they get older. If they were to get into a fight they'd be in a pretty confined area with no where to get away.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
When we have 2 dogs, which we usually do, we have 2 crates, but we leave them open and almost always they choose to sleep together and snuggle. We are getting an 8 week old puppy in Feb. At least now I don't plan on changing the crate arrangement.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
each one has their own but occassionally Oliver will get in Remy's and refuse to come out so I just leave them in there together. Never overnight since Oliver sleeps on our bed but if I'm trying to vacuum or they just need to put away for a reason.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am with the two crate idea I was just wondering if they were in one or at least close together if the new puppies crying would be less at night with another dog there.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Definitely two crates, that way they both have their own space when they want it.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I am with the two crate idea I was just wondering if they were in one or at least close together if the new puppies crying would be less at night with another dog there.

Mine each has their own bed but generally don't choose to sleep alone. I would have a separate crate for the pup but if the older dog is into it, allow the pup to sleep with her. It might inhibit crate/potty training though.

find out what the breeder is doing with their sleeping arrangements. If you choose your pup early enough you might be able to get the breeder to start having the pup sleep alone some. Now that I think about it, I locked Zam in his crate each night alone and didn't have a problem. He did spend some time alone, crated each day with the breeder. That might have helped.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola's mom is due tomorrow so I will be picking right away. Once I know which one for sure I will post a pic. I like that I already have everything I need and all the creams, food, ect so I am set. I think the only thing I will need to buy is a crate and pad.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
IMAG0347.jpg
Oops, looks like somebody didn't get the memo! Mac just loves to jump in with Cleo whether she wants him in there or not!!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
While fostering, I learned that this puppy loves to be close to Chunk. Ever since input their crates next to each other, she sleeps through the night and doesn't cry when I put her to bed! Idk if this is normal or just works for these two, but I'm glad it comforts her!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Watching Lola with the puppy my mom got over christmas just made me think of her more as a mama type. She licked the baby and everytime he went potty she would clean him and she followed him around and he would do the dame to her. She would clean his face and lay right next to him so im thinking Lola and the puppy would like it!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
1 crate PER bully :) they each need their own little space :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava

I have my crates side by side so they can still smell, hear and see each other but they each have their own space.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.