Not going to the bathroom outside

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Happy New Years Everyone! :)

Since I've had my bulldog (10 months) Abby (2 1/2 yrs old) and potty trained she's given me a problem with going to the bathroom outside. She has access to a doggy door all day long that she knows how to use. However, Abby thinks its better to go in her crate or on her blanket. I find myself washing a blanket and crate several times a week. Thank god I don't have carpets! Its a game trying to get her outside to go. She fights with me the whole time. One problem I know of is its cold outside and she hates it. I do bundle her up but that doesn't seem to matter. Some times she lets us know, but for the most part she doesn't. I'm always making sure I send her out every few hours. Last night we are about to go to bed and I always put her out. She ran in her cage and I had to fight with her to come out and go down stairs to the bathroom. Finally got her out and she went. I come back inside to find out she went in her cage. I was also told by foster mom that she was doing the same thing at her house.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw a spray at peco for no pee spray. I wasn't sure if it works or not. Any help would be great. I'm tired of cleaning up and washing blankets all the time. Plus, I don't want my house smelling and my floors to get ruined.

Thanks.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have any experience with this , but have read on here that some people have had a problem with their bullies peeing on their blankets and bedding, and when the blanket was removed it stopped. Hopefully someone with more experience with this will come along soon. Good luck. Keep us posted.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
So my Mac is one the above mentioned "blanket pissers" in fact, that is his nickname but he loves to go outside, he just really likes to sleep in his own urine too. He gets no blankies whatsoever in his kennel and at the moment, he also gets no crate pan since he chewed that up completely. He has a very large kennel so the wires are very largely spaced they don't seem to bother him. I did buy a replacement but as soon as it went in he started for that one too so I'm in the process of looking for something else. Maybe a metal cooking sheet? but then he'd need a blanket so I'm not sure about that. Could you designate a potty pad area for Abby to go in? Or maybe booties for outside? So sorry you're going through this!

M

mabel lou

I have a rescue who was never properly potty trained and she would just stop and pee when she had to but I went back to the basics for her and my other girl. They neither one are vocal about when they need to go potty and this is something I am at the present time trying to train them both to do. They both will pee on their bedding or blanket or anything else that feels soft to them so I have taken away these things and they are only allowed to have them now once I know they have gone potty outside. I don't want them to not have a soft bed or blanky so I am using these items as rewards now. It is so funny that I am doing this almost as if I have two puppies all over again lol. I never thought of a bed as a reward or praise but wow it certainly has helped with my girls. But keep in mind I am also looking at these two girls as puppies and with puppies they must be crated and taken out for food/water, play and potty and crated again, but each time I do this I make sure they see me pick their bed up because like I said I am using this as a reward now. I am hoping this will continue.

OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Thanks for the help : )

Glad to know I'm not the only one with a pisser on my hands.

I've tried to train her on the pads, but it doesn't seem to work. She was using my door mat as a pad. I then realized i have to remove everything off the floor in order for her to use it. It was hit or miss. But she started to think it was okay to go anywhere in the house when I was using them. So we switched to a doggy door hoping that would eliminate the problem. All day access to the outdoors. She uses the door all the time, but she still seems to go in her crate/blanket. I make sure I reward her for going outside and I yell at her for going in the house. She knows she's bad to because the next day or two she will go outside then she starts again in the crate/blanket. Its a game we play.

My husband says the same thing about removing the blankets from the crate and only letting her have it if shes good. The only problem I have is it gets cold in our downstairs room. And when I'm at work I want to make sure she is warm enough. I do put a sweater on her. And I do have boots also when she goes outside. Maybe I'll start to try that and see how she does.

[MENTION=2488]babybully[/MENTION] - Sorry to hear your baby eats the cage. Abby hasn't eaten her cage yet, but she did eat some kind of plastic. Not sure what it was and it might have been in there since I had her. She had it removed from her stomach 2 months ago. It was so expensive and upsetting. So just be careful that you bully doesn't eat that plastic!

Last edited:

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
So my Mac is one the above mentioned "blanket pissers" in fact, that is his nickname but he loves to go outside, he just really likes to sleep in his own urine too. He gets no blankies whatsoever in his kennel and at the moment, he also gets no crate pan since he chewed that up completely. He has a very large kennel so the wires are very largely spaced they don't seem to bother him. I did buy a replacement but as soon as it went in he started for that one too so I'm in the process of looking for something else. Maybe a metal cooking sheet? but then he'd need a blanket so I'm not sure about that. Could you designate a potty pad area for Abby to go in? Or maybe booties for outside? So sorry you're going through this!

amazon sells crates with a METAL pan. I'ts about 50 bucks (including shipping for a 36" size. They also have 3 doors, so it's easy to lure them into it by sticking your treat filled hand through the top door hole. PM me if you want a link.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
taking the blanket away is a good start, washing them doesn't get all the urine smell out and she will remark her spots ... if she is willing to wear the sweater I would let her sleep in the sweater and remove the blanket and see how that goes.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola does this also but not on everything just some of her bedding and once I took away the ones she was marking on she didnt do it anymore. Im sure the blanket is covered in her urine smell even if you can't smell it so I would take that away and trash it and also do that with the bedding. Then let her go without for a few nights and see what she does then start off with a thin crate liner and she if she still stays clean. I have found the thicker the bed the more apt Lola is to pee on it so I use just the think liners with no blankets. Hope this helps!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
For sure the blankets will smell like pee to their sensitive canine noses no matter how many times they get washed. It is very cold here and when I got my Tooleybear it was February :nope:and average temps of about 20 below. I would take her out and as soon as she peed or pooped I would give her a very high value treat and make a big deal of it. I bout a pee post and she went to it and peed. not sure if it really worked or it was so darn cold she just had to go but i fugured it couldn't hurt to try it. and that is the area where she went for the rest of the winter. I also heard having one select area is a good way to develop the habit of going outside so i put the post in the spot not too far from the door. When she pottied in the house I would quietly lead her to another room, clean it up - used lots of enzyme cleaners - and ignore her for awhile when she came back into the room. There isn't any reason to yell or get mad because they don't associate it with the act unless you catch them while they are doing it. I once caught Miss T just as she was squatting to poop and I yelled STOP and the poop went right back inside her :yes:!!!!!. It is so much harder though when you get rescues because often the poor babies were ignored and their signals - excessive sniffing, circling etc. were not read so the poor sweeties give up. No dog likes to sleep in their own pee naturally -it just becomes something they accept. So hard to undo the damage that others have done. There can be an organic reason too. Like little boys who pee the bed because they do not get the usual body signals or they are deep sleepers. I wish you all the best. It can be so frustrating.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
No dog likes to sleep in their own pee naturally -it just becomes something they accept.

Uhh, except Mac! We've had him since he was 4 months old, he's never been neglected or abused yet he still loves to lay in his urine. He is just one odd duck.

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
I've had success cleaning up with a finishing wipe of white vinegar solution. But honestly, I have virtually no problem. My two Bullies use an indoor potty park set up in a walk-in shower stall. I use the "potty patch" product, but discard the bottom tray since it sits on the shower floor. That let's the liquid go right down the drain. The solids are easy to pick up off the "grass," and toss in the toilet next to the shower. I put a hose and pistol grip spray nozzle on the shower itself to keep things tidy. Maintenance is very easy. All I do is regular pick up, wash down, and a once a day spray of Lysol and water, followed by bleach and water. I let the chemicals sit for 5 minutes before rinsing it down. My Bullies love the convenience of their indoor plumbing.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
No dog likes to sleep in their own pee naturally -it just becomes something they accept.

Uhh, except Mac! We've had him since he was 4 months old, he's never been neglected or abused yet he still loves to lay in his urine. He is just one odd duck.

Wow so happy my baby isnt the only bully who likes to sit and sleep in their pee :rolleyes:

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
[MENTION=7776]VegasGeorge[/MENTION] we have the exact same set-up, in a shower stall, with the bottom tray removed. It is really only used very early in the morning on days when hubby leaves at the crack of dawn and the rest of the house is still in bed. But sometimes the dogs wake up when he leaves and it gives them a place to go. There is also the odd time when they don't do their business outside because the weather is just so bad they race back inside without taking care of business. It really is convenient and sanitary. I am fortunate as my bullies go outside the rest of the time and don't seem to be confused about the rest of the house being off limits. But they are also not crated. They share the master suite and mostly sleep in our bed :) I guess that means the master suite is their crate.. Spoiled bullies!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.