Suddenly waking up a lot during the night

Fjcattie

Dec 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Hi all!

Lucy recently started waking up about 3 times during the night! She was only waking up once at close to 2am then she'd sleep through till 530 when she is fed. Now she wakes up at around 12, 2, and 4. I don't get it, she's been on the new food for a few weeks now and we cut her off from water at 7pm. She's last fed at 5pm and we make sure she goes #s 1 and 2 before we put her down. Any ideas?

OP
Fjcattie

Fjcattie

Dec 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I should add that Lucy is 13 weeks old. We got her at 9 weeks, she's been doing this for the past 5 days or so.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few puppy knowledgabel members.... they should be along to give some advice

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Could be that she needs to go potty? Is she crated during the night or sleeping with you? She just a little one and will probably wake up quite a bit for the next 4-5 months. One of the things to remember about dogs in general is that they have their own schedules and generally do get up during the night, even as adults. Emma and Wilson both woke up multiple times a night when they were pups. Wilson will be two on the 8th and quite often he heads outside via the doggie door and barks at 2am. The hubby usually has to go retrieve him.

You probably want your sleep but puppies are just like babies, they potty a lot and wake a lot.

Oh I've had 3 puppies, Emma, Wilson & Jack, my non-bully, in the last 2 years. Puppies kept me quite busy. :bigeyes:

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
I have/had this problem....

I noticed that Abby will wake up a few times also. I started to play and walk her right before bed. This gets them tired. I also noticed she always takes a nap after eating. So I started to feed her a treat or a small amount of food before bed. This seemed to help. Good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with all the great advice above, maybe a long walk around the block for her last walk will tire her out. That's what we do with our 2, plus it gets us out for a walk as well. Another reason could be a bladder infection, does she pee a lot when she is waking up?. One of the signs of a bladder infection is frequent peeing?. Just a thought. I add cranberry pills to their food to,prevent UTI infections.

OP
Fjcattie

Fjcattie

Dec 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Ok, I'll try taking her for a walk tonight before bed. She is crated at night and when we first got her home she was sleeping until 155am each night when she would wake up, go outside and do her business, then proceed right back to bed. Now for some reason she is getting up multiple times. I have noticed that she has been sleeping from about 8pm on, no matter what we do she just passes out.. sometimes while sitting up (ridiculously cute.) Hopefully it's just a fussy phase or something like that. Only time will tell! Thanks for the advice!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
You are on the right track, she sure is a cutie pie. You got lots of great advise already :2thumbs:

OP
Fjcattie

Fjcattie

Dec 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Ok so a quick update, Lucy was moved from the bedroom to the downstairs to sleep last night and I actually woke her up at 2am and woke her up again at 545am!! I think it actually may have been that she was hearing us during the night! Only time will tell, fingers crossed!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.