Help please.....

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Have a friend with a dog with possible kennel cough. Can't get into the vet until morning....home remedies to help soothe and make the dog comfy until then?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I found this online:
Basic home treatment for kennel cough includes:
  • Keeping your dog warm, quiet and free from drafts
  • Removing your dog's collar to prevent excessive coughing stimulation
  • Encouraging your dog to drink plenty of fresh water
  • Providing wet food just in case your dog's throat is sore and irritated
Home Vaporizing Treatment

You can provide additional relief for your pet by giving him a vaporizing treatment three times a day. Run a hot shower in your bathroom and let the steam build up with the door closed. Take your dog into the bathroom and let him breathe in the steam for 20 minutes. The vapor will help open his bronchial tubes, which in turn makes his coughs more productive. This will enable your dog to rid himself of more of the phlegm clogging his airways.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so sorry y'all are dealing w/this and recovery from surgery too!

Don't know anything about kennel cough but will research w/my holistic Vet
right now and get back to you.

Just wanted to tell you I'm praying over you & Gunny right now
:muah2:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Any chance he can take him to an emergency vet? I wish I could offer more help. Shy of what's found online I have no experience with kennel cough. I hope your friend's dog will be ok soon.

OP
Gunny B

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Not my dog, not sure why they can't take him in tonight, not sure if it is kennel cough or just symptoms. Thanks for your advice.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, just researched w/Dr Karen Becker...one of Chicago's Top Ten Vets.
She's board certified AND now runs a holistic practice so she knows conventional
medicine & natural remedies also.

Kennel cough is actually a virus so unless it goes into pnemonia, antibiotics are not helpful.
It runs it's course in 2-3 weeks in healthy dogs since he's had surgery, may take 5-6 weeks.
It will resolve on it's own, if Gunny isn't better in a week or cough is worse THEN take him in.

To help him get well faster and to relieve his symptoms for more comfort you can give him this
recipe...

1 tsp Honey (soothes throat) , 1 tsp Lemon (breaks up pghlem), 3 drops Hydrogen Peroxide (anti fungal
& antiseptic), 2-3 dashes of Tumeric (anti inflamatory & antibiotic) put in drinking water, or in food or on
1/4 piece of toast and feed to him.

Put a humidifier by his bed (there are essential oils that can help if you're interested and can add to this)

All of the above will help ease him and mend him much faster but he will mend on his own unless complications
set him. If me, I would do these things and only take him in if he starts getting worse.

Slippery Elm will greatly sooth his irritated throat and hep hasten healing, can buy at a natural foods store.

Hope this helps, all this can be bought and given Gunny tonight
:2thumbs: ​GOD bless and I'm praying!

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not my dog, not sure why they can't take him in tonight, not sure if it is kennel cough or just symptoms. Thanks for your advice.

​Sorry, didn't read thru...so glad it's NOT Gunny but sorry it's anyone's beloved dog.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
To be honest if its truly kennel cough it is not dangerous at all. It may be distressing for you friend but generally there is no harm. It can pass with no vet visit but most prefer to see a vet - it depends on the severity. I must say it is contagious so your friend needs to keep heir dog away from other dogs.

OP
Gunny B

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks all! I passed on the info and she is off to the vets first thing in the morning!

Most Reactions