2 Foster Bulldogs ...

SheilaBMathis

Jan 1, 2013
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie, & Lucille
Oh My Gosh!! what are the Chances of you walking in there and having that happen!? It was Meant to be! How did they react to your other pups? did you get any more info on them? they look soo sad... thank god for you to help the Poor babies...
I'm New with the postings and Just read your whole story... you are amazing for helping them. I have 4 pups and i think Females AKA bitches seem to try to be dominant over everyone. so they challenge each other. I only have 1 male in my Group and the 3 girls sometimes get loud with each other, I have to Get in between and tackle them show them I'm the Head b*itch. Can be stressful but I love them! As long as your aware of her attitude and make a new routine with them separated, Everything will get better. Props to you for not giving up! <3

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] - yes I can see a flash of her trigger but she is so darn fast ... take the 2nd mishap with Ally, Destiny was going pee when Ally rounded the corner of the deck and in mid pee her ears went up and she lunged, she was on Ally so fast all I could do was jump off the deck and grab hold to separate them. I have thought about it all day and I think the mishap with Molly, Destiny's trigger was me ... everything was fine until I called Molly to me ... Destiny shot a glance over to me actually had a second of eye contact, ears went up and she turned and pummeled Molly I was already running that direction because I knew it was going to happen ... Molly tried to save herself by running under the deck but it just made it worse, she was trapped under there and I still have no idea how I got myself under there to get Destiny off ... by the looks of my mud soaked cloths I swam and my hand hurts so bad tonight I don't even like to use it .... but alas the bulldog in me says heck no to giving up!!! So if the trigger is me ... what are your suggestions?

[MENTION=7594]SheilaBMathis[/MENTION] - thank you ... she is a very dominant female for sure but she peaked the "Total Top B***H" in me now .... I don't play games and I won't put up with any bullpoop from her, she has met her match this time! In this house the Rules, Boundaries & Limitations are very clear and I am always Consistent with my fur-kids, she just hadn't accept them but after today just the way she looks at me with those I'm so sorry eyes I think she might have had the light bulb moment!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] Don't be sorry for posting your frustrations! When we were fostering Thor last month the same thing happened with him and Gio, only they both would attack each other. It was extremely frustrating because we really wanted to keep him. They could not be in the same room as each other in the house because they would always end up fighting, just one look and they were both at each others throats. The most frustrating part was that they got along great outside of the house! But in the end he found the perfect home, and we even were able to visit him last Saturday! Chance and Destiny will both find great homes, and all your hard work with them will pay off when you are able to witness how happy you made their new families and Destiny and Chance! You are amazing for doing what you're doing! And I'm also glad that Molly was not seriously hurt! Give her a big Bully kiss from Gio, Diva and I!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Never apologise for pouring your heart out about such things. Those who do want to foster certainly need to know the truth of what can and often will happen at some point when they are fostering. So I'd rather read exactly what you are putting then a fostering story that is all roses!!

We have had a similar situation where it was me calling the other that set off the fight. I'm still unsure what that is but I do know that when I called the one dog that they had started to come over to me, so maybe the second dog thought that I was going to be attacked or was jealous. I just don't know.

In our situation we took dominant training to the maximum - as in the "offender" was made to sit, give paw, have their food put down and made to wait until I gave him the OK to start eating. I would then take the bowl away again and make them repeat the whole sequence. Whenever I opened a door I would make them sit and wait for permission before they could follow me through, that even included the opening of the fridge door which usually gets an audience of at least 4 hairy faces. I make them back off and sit before I open the fridge. It just seems to have worked for us. There are still the occasional spats and we will never be able to fully relax with these two dogs in our house but at the time I was worried that they would actually kill each other!!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
YOU ARE WONDERFUL. Don't give up! You are so inspiring for taking those poor babies in! I'm glad Ally and Molly AND Destiny are all okay. Poor thing, she probably had to fend for herself too long to trust others quite yet.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
There is no sorry needed! Thats what this site is for! I think you are doing amazing and I don't know how you do it! You give me strength in my battle with Lola! Because of your guidance you are not just helping those 2 bully's, you are also helping everyone when you reply to their posts on this site! Your amazing!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] - I really like what [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] said; and her suggestions are from years of Foster EXPERIENCE -- not just book learnin' and a few kookoo dogs --- like me.
The best you can do is continue to watch what triggers Destiny and continue to disagree with the behavior and thus, squelch the trigger before the outburst, if possible. The anxiousness you MUST feel when the dogs are together is surely detectible (of course it is!) so being your most calm assertive self is the best counter to that. Say, have you thought of keeping Destiny on a drag leash? In this way, she might think you have more control than you do. (Bo thinks he cannot move forward when he's got a drag leash on -- it's hysterical - even when I TRY To get him to move...LOL) Then you have access to grab that leash and JERK to correct which will throw her off balance and thwart the outburst? Just a thought to try.

I love the visual of sweet Chance sitting there, waiting for his bath too. :heart: Sweet Angel, he is.

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Never apologise for pouring your heart out about such things. Those who do want to foster certainly need to know the truth of what can and often will happen at some point when they are fostering. So I'd rather read exactly what you are putting then a fostering story that is all roses!!

We have had a similar situation where it was me calling the other that set off the fight. I'm still unsure what that is but I do know that when I called the one dog that they had started to come over to me, so maybe the second dog thought that I was going to be attacked or was jealous. I just don't know.

In our situation we took dominant training to the maximum - as in the "offender" was made to sit, give paw, have their food put down and made to wait until I gave him the OK to start eating. I would then take the bowl away again and make them repeat the whole sequence. Whenever I opened a door I would make them sit and wait for permission before they could follow me through, that even included the opening of the fridge door which usually gets an audience of at least 4 hairy faces. I make them back off and sit before I open the fridge. It just seems to have worked for us. There are still the occasional spats and we will never be able to fully relax with these two dogs in our house but at the time I was worried that they would actually kill each other!!

I started that with Destiny yesterday after reading your post ... :hug: it is working a lot better! I make her sit and wait to come out of the crate she has to sit and wait until I open the door and walk her out the door for a potty break ... basically she has to sit & wait for everything except breathing LOL so hopefully things will keep going in this good direction. thank you for your help!

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Thursday Update: Well I have to admit I can't believe how fast this week is going!! I do have some good news, my son works with a gal that wants to adopt a dog, she and her husband have been talking about it and making plans, they have no kids, no other pets and really want to bring a dog into their family ... he is going to tell them about Chance and Destiny!!! I think it would be a perfect home for Destiny, she needs to be the only dog and they only want 1 new family member and also because she is less maintenance then a lot of bulldogs, she doesn't have the nose rope and wrinkles to have to worry about just a weekly wipe would be just fine and no tail pocket at all! Chance has a big deep nose rope and a tail pocket that need regular cleaning so would be more to taking care of him but he will make someone a fantastic family member but needs a person that understand the needs of bulldogs!!! Please keep your fingers crossed that they adopt one of these two!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
keeping everything crossed for Destiny ... who would handle the adoption process?? Do they have to fill out an application and have vet checks and home visits done?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thursday Update: Well I have to admit I can't believe how fast this week is going!! I do have some good news, my son works with a gal that wants to adopt a dog, she and her husband have been talking about it and making plans, they have no kids, no other pets and really want to bring a dog into their family ... he is going to tell them about Chance and Destiny!!! I think it would be a perfect home for Destiny, she needs to be the only dog and they only want 1 new family member and also because she is less maintenance then a lot of bulldogs, she doesn't have the nose rope and wrinkles to have to worry about just a weekly wipe would be just fine and no tail pocket at all! Chance has a big deep nose rope and a tail pocket that need regular cleaning so would be more to taking care of him but he will make someone a fantastic family member but needs a person that understand the needs of bulldogs!!! Please keep your fingers crossed that they adopt one of these two!!

so hope it is a great match and they are able to adopt sweet Destiny!!

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
keeping everything crossed for Destiny ... who would handle the adoption process?? Do they have to fill out an application and have vet checks and home visits done?

they have to fill out an application and have a home visit but seems to be an easy process ... tho I find it very odd that they didn't check me or my home out, I guess the pictures of Diesel & Molly put them at ease but still they really should have checked my home to make sure Chance & Destiny were going to be safe.

Most Reactions