definitely a wonderful moment with your party

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 2 Foster Bulldogs ...

@bulldogs4me - I really like what @kazzy220 said; and her suggestions are from years of Foster EXPERIENCE -- not just book learnin' and a few kookoo dogs --- like me.
    The best you can do is continue to watch what triggers Destiny and continue to disagree with the behavior and thus, squelch the trigger before the outburst, if possible. The anxiousness you MUST feel when the dogs are together is surely detectible (of course it is!) so being your most calm assertive self is the best counter to that. Say, have you thought of keeping Destiny on a drag leash? In this way, she might think you have more control than you do. (Bo thinks he cannot move forward when he's got a drag leash on -- it's hysterical - even when I TRY To get him to move...LOL) Then you have access to grab that leash and JERK to correct which will throw her off balance and thwart the outburst? Just a thought to try.

I love the visual of sweet Chance sitting there, waiting for his bath too. Sweet Angel, he is.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    Never apologise for pouring your heart out about such things. Those who do want to foster certainly need to know the truth of what can and often will happen at some point when they are fostering. So I'd rather read exactly what you are putting then a fostering story that is all roses!!

We have had a similar situation where it was me calling the other that set off the fight. I'm still unsure what that is but I do know that when I called the one dog that they had started to come over to me, so maybe the second dog thought that I was going to be attacked or was jealous. I just don't know.

In our situation we took dominant training to the maximum - as in the "offender" was made to sit, give paw, have their food put down and made to wait until I gave him the OK to start eating. I would then take the bowl away again and make them repeat the whole sequence. Whenever I opened a door I would make them sit and wait for permission before they could follow me through, that even included the opening of the fridge door which usually gets an audience of at least 4 hairy faces. I make them back off and sit before I open the fridge. It just seems to have worked for us. There are still the occasional spats and we will never be able to fully relax with these two dogs in our house but at the time I was worried that they would actually kill each other!!
    I started that with Destiny yesterday after reading your post ... it is working a lot better! I make her sit and wait to come out of the crate she has to sit and wait until I open the door and walk her out the door for a potty break ... basically she has to sit & wait for everything except breathing LOL so hopefully things will keep going in this good direction. thank you for your help!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thursday Update: Well I have to admit I can't believe how fast this week is going!! I do have some good news, my son works with a gal that wants to adopt a dog, she and her husband have been talking about it and making plans, they have no kids, no other pets and really want to bring a dog into their family ... he is going to tell them about Chance and Destiny!!! I think it would be a perfect home for Destiny, she needs to be the only dog and they only want 1 new family member and also because she is less maintenance then a lot of bulldogs, she doesn't have the nose rope and wrinkles to have to worry about just a weekly wipe would be just fine and no tail pocket at all! Chance has a big deep nose rope and a tail pocket that need regular cleaning so would be more to taking care of him but he will make someone a fantastic family member but needs a person that understand the needs of bulldogs!!! Please keep your fingers crossed that they adopt one of these two!!

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Crossing fingers for Destiny, NOW.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

keeping everything crossed for Destiny ... who would handle the adoption process?? Do they have to fill out an application and have vet checks and home visits done?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    Thursday Update: Well I have to admit I can't believe how fast this week is going!! I do have some good news, my son works with a gal that wants to adopt a dog, she and her husband have been talking about it and making plans, they have no kids, no other pets and really want to bring a dog into their family ... he is going to tell them about Chance and Destiny!!! I think it would be a perfect home for Destiny, she needs to be the only dog and they only want 1 new family member and also because she is less maintenance then a lot of bulldogs, she doesn't have the nose rope and wrinkles to have to worry about just a weekly wipe would be just fine and no tail pocket at all! Chance has a big deep nose rope and a tail pocket that need regular cleaning so would be more to taking care of him but he will make someone a fantastic family member but needs a person that understand the needs of bulldogs!!! Please keep your fingers crossed that they adopt one of these two!!
    so hope it is a great match and they are able to adopt sweet Destiny!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I hope we hear back with some good news!

Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    keeping everything crossed for Destiny ... who would handle the adoption process?? Do they have to fill out an application and have vet checks and home visits done?
    they have to fill out an application and have a home visit but seems to be an easy process ... tho I find it very odd that they didn't check me or my home out, I guess the pictures of Diesel & Molly put them at ease but still they really should have checked my home to make sure Chance & Destiny were going to be safe.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Just checking in on the crew..... Hoping they find truly forever homes.....

Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

FRIDAY UPDATE: I can't believe it's Friday already will find out today if the gal my son is talking to about Destiny is going to meet me at the adoption fair tomorrow, the more he tells me about her and her husband the more perfect they sound for Destiny ... they want a dog really super bad but only 1 and they are at the point in life where children are a heck no for them LOL they are young so I'm sure years down the road that will change but I want them to take Destiny it would be the perfect situation for her! Chance is going to fit anywhere he is just a sweetheart of a boy and loves other dogs well not as much as he loves sleeping in a warm comfy bed but he is great with other dogs all the same!! Things have been going great now that Destiny is kept on leash when out of the crate, she still tries to be little miss tough girl but I correct her immediately and she has that "oh yeah not suppose to do that moment" and moves on. Being firm and consistent has been key for her, she really needs the rules, boundaries and limitations to be firm and clear!!!

Destiny is doing so much better with walking on leash, when I brought her home on Saturday she darn near pulled my arm off with her tugging me around ... but I've been working with her and she is better, quick correction to remind her to mind her manners and she falls in and follows right beside me on walks ... she is learning sit & down but needs more work but she at least understands I want her to do something now ... she had no clue what it was all about before. Who ever gets her would do go by taking a basic training class with her. Overall, she is a really sweet girl and in the right family (no other dogs) she will be perfect, she is mellow in the house, give her a bed to lay on and she is happy as can be! she has no food aggression at all so that is excellent. hasn't been destructive with home or toys another huge plus! she is potty trained and will let you know she needs to go outside. she is crate trained and is very comfortable in her crate. She is definitely ready for a new forever home!!

Chance, well Chance is just awesome ... He is doing much better on his walking on a leash too ... first walk was a nightmare and he too tried to pull my arm off, but he really wants to please so give him instruction and he is quick to follow the lead. He is a typical bulldog and needs to think about the whole sit & down thing, is it really necessary? and I'm pretty sure the only thought he has is "can't I just lay in this comfy bed?" Chance is very entertaining due to his laziness, he tries to fight sleep even more then Diesel does and it's so fun to watch him try to stay awake! Overall, Chance is most definitely ready for his new forever home!! He is potty trained and as long as you let him out a few times a day he is good ... he is crate trained though he would prefer to lay in a bed ... he is not destructive to home or toys ... he does like to have a stuffed toy he can carry around and sleep with ... he will stay at the open door way and not leave the house unless he is invited, which is so awesome!! ... no food aggression of any kind ... he is great with other dogs ... I think he would be suited for any type home, dogs, kids, elderly family members he is just superb!! He goes with the flow and doesn't question or challenge anything, he is just a great boy!!! I honestly have no idea what so ever as to why someone would get rid of him!!!

Tomorrow is going to be a sad day for me, but I hope and pray that it finds them their new forever home!! I will keep you all posted and thank you for going on this journey with us

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Paws crossed for furever homes for Destiny and Chance! Hope they make a 'love connection' tomorrow with new families that will fit their needs.
    Best Wishes!

Cheerio mates!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Remove Ads