Chew toy questions

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
HI everyone! Questions about some chew toys. Bogey has NO interest in stuffed animals, plastic toys, squeekies, etc. There is one nylabone that his likes but it holds his interest for only a few minutes.
Are the Nylabone Healthy Edibles ok?
Are those chewable "Dental Sticks" ok? Greenies?
I have a large white rawhide bone( I know, I know, but hear me out) that Bogey gets ONLY when I am sitting on the couch, and he comes and sits in my lap and will gnaw on that thing for over an hour! It is the ONLY chew toy that will keep him occupied and actually calms him down. It is as hard as a rock because it is so big, so I know to get rid of it as soon as he gets some corners soft. This is just for our "cuddle time".
I have tried the frozen marrow bones- nope- he likes them for 5 minutes. That's it.
I did coat the nylabone with honey last night because I could not sit with him with the rawhide, and that seemed to hold him a little longer.
Any other suggestions??
It's a daily challenge to keep him occupied and NOT BITING ME!!!
On the good note- he sits on command, and is mastering the "down" command! He will "shake paw" and is getting pretty good with my getting his attention when he is focused on something. We are working on "look at me", and he LOVES to grab the morning paper after his first potty run of the morning! It is pretty torn by he time it gets to the house, but we are working on that!
He had his 11 week check yesterday- he is very healthy and now weighs 15.7 pounds! They think he is going to be a big boy! (His daddy was big).
Despite the devil in him when we least expect it, he is such a joy to both of us! He is an instant magnet to people, and LOVES to greet strangers and other dogs. And kids, he just LOVES them! Thank God for my 10 year old twin neighbors who run him ragged!
As for walking, well that is a work in progress. We live in a 30 unit circle of homes. We have to CARRY him to the halfway point, and then he will joyfully walk back home! Ya gotta love him!
Have a great weekend!!

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
My one tried and true chewing item for Bacon is deer/elk antler - they are expensive but they last forever. When the mood strikes, he can spend hours gnawing on one. Lessons learned, when we first got him antler they were too small (about the size of my fist and he could fit the whole thing in his mouth). We get the ones that are around 8 inches long now and they are holding up just fine. We've got three laying around the house now for whichever room he seems to be in at the time.

Personally for me, I won't ever give Bacon greenies. Those dental chews don't last long for one thing, second that particular brand is loaded with nasty stuff. On very rare occasions, I will give Bacon a Zukes dental chew but those don't last long either.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
My one tried and true chewing item for Bacon is deer/elk antler - they are expensive but they last forever. When the mood strikes, he can spend hours gnawing on one. Lessons learned, when we first got him antler they were too small (about the size of my fist and he could fit the whole thing in his mouth). We get the ones that are around 8 inches long now and they are holding up just fine. We've got three laying around the house now for whichever room he seems to be in at the time.

Personally for me, I won't ever give Bacon greenies. Those dental chews don't last long for one thing, second that particular brand is loaded with nasty stuff. On very rare occasions, I will give Bacon a Zukes dental chew but those don't last long either.

I second the Antlers ! they may be initially expensive, but when you add up all of the other toys and how long they actually last, they are a BARGAIN !

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka LOVES the Himalayan dog chew cheese treat. Its a hard cheese stick that comes in different sizes (we get large and jumbo). They are a bit expensive but for the amount of time they keep him occupied, especially when he was smaller, they are by far worth it to me. Give it a search on google.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Tonka LOVES the Himalayan dog chew cheese treat. Its a hard cheese stick that comes in different sizes (we get large and jumbo). They are a bit expensive but for the amount of time they keep him occupied, especially when he was smaller, they are by far worth it to me. Give it a search on google.

Heads up on Himalayans... if you mean the hardened salt/milk ones... they do NOT break down if swallowed as their manufacturer's website suggests. We found out the hard way. Bacon loves them too but we have to be very careful with them.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Heads up on Himalayans... if you mean the hardened salt/milk ones... they do NOT break down if swallowed as their manufacturer's website suggests. We found out the hard way. Bacon loves them too but we have to be very careful with them.

Thank you for the headsup on these, I was just looking at ordering them for Brutus this morning.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka

Thanks for the heads up! He mostly just grinds them down and when they get too small we take them away but I will definately watch a little closer now!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

I just bought a couple of these yesterday. Reading the label, it says that once the chew gets small in size, to warm it up in the microwave and just hand feed it to our guys as a treat. I too am concerned about them choking on these when they get small and nubby, but they do like them.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I just bought a couple of these yesterday. Reading the label, it says that once the chew gets small in size, to warm it up in the microwave and just hand feed it to our guys as a treat. I too am concerned about them choking on these when they get small and nubby, but they do like them.

Yeah! Once it gets to a size that tou are uncomfortable with, take a hammer to it and make a bunch of small peices and then microwave them, they puff up like popcorn and are easy to chew!

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Pickle loves her moose antlers - I just ordered two more for her. She wakes up, has breakfast then starts chewin on the antler all through out the day. She has a deer antler but the moose is her "go to"

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.