Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Gio has been biting the air and licking the air a lot recently. He just had an episode right now that has already lasted 10 minutes. I looked it up on google that said it might be a neurological problem? Some said it could be a mild form of seizures? He is still biting the air, licking the air and licking his front paws. It has never made me nervous until tonight because it has lasted so long. Is this something I should be concerned about? Anyone have any experience with this?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I have had some issues with Brutus fly biting! I posted some videos here on EBN. We have talked with vet and nuro specilist who say it is characterized as seizure but they dont have enough to support the theory. If you call his name does he stop? Can you give him a treat or toy to redirect his attention? Are they happening around thee same time?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
TAIL POCKET ! ! ! ! ! check the tail pocket, I butt scrunch Hershey, and he does the fly biting, and licking at the sky, until I stop... when I start up again, he starts up.

I betcha he's gotta an itchy booty ! ! !

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
There could be several different reasons for this. One being a itchy bootie...another being neurological. First thing first. Start documenting the time and duration of the episode. Get it on video!! If you can't figure out a reason such as a itchy pocket....take the video and your log into the vets office. They will want to run some basic tests to determine if there is a skeletal or a metabolic reason for it. [MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION]

Last edited:
OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] it usually doesn't last as long so calling his name usually would snap him out of it, but tonight he would not snap out of it when we called his name and got on the floor to scratch him. I was saying treats and cookies to him but I didn't get one, usually just saying treat or cookie gets his attention quickly. He has a vet appointment the end of January so I'll bring it up to his vet then. And I'm trying to remember but I think it usually happens at night. Thanks for the reply!

[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] I'm going to clean his pocket right now, he has been having an itchier bum lately but I also have been cleaning it more because he has been itching more. Next time he does it I'm going to clean his pocket and see if that helps! Thanks for the reply!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
when he isnt fly biting, try as an experiment, scratch his butt :) and watch his face, Gizmo and Hershey both have the same reaction :)

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@Libra926 thanks so much, I'm going to start keeping track of when and how long each episode happens. Video is a great idea too. Hope it's nothing serious. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] thanks so much, I'm going to start keeping track of when and how long each episode happens. Video is great idea too. Hope it's nothing serious. Thanks for the reply!

Thats the best thing right now is track everything so you can see if their is a pattern. At first it didnt matter what time then it started happening at night. He hasnt done it in a while but he would stop when we presented a treat. We had neurological tests done and everything was good but its good to have it all checked and maybe bloodwork too. If you can give the vet videos nd such it will help. It could be nothing and they say that its something common like head tremorss nothing that hurts them. I hope all goes well and we are all here if you need anything! There are a bunch of posts on EBN tht I had started with videos and such! Hugs :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You got some excellent insight and advice from chanelnbrutus and Libra926 ..... follow their steps (log and video) and best of luck. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Keep us posted

M

mabel lou

Years ago I had a male bully who was acting as though he were biting something in the air and he to was itching his paws all the time. I took him to the vet and they informed me he had demodex. I was so surprised. So when I got Mabel she as well began licking the air and on occasiion licking her paws and I took her to the vet and explained to my what she was doing and said the same thing about my male bully from years ago. They said it is not demodex but allergies. When they touched her but she began licking the air again just like what she had done prior to our vet visit. He said bathe her in a medicated bath and check her food to make sure she was not having a food allergy and or enviromental alleregy. Once I did all of this she stopped and it helped me with Mabel. Other things could be causing this but like others have said that you should document when you see your bully do this.. I seriously document eating and how long after eating that it begins, bathing schedule ect. It def helps. Good luck

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Take a look on the Bully Tube at a video labeled "Punk's Episodes" and see if this is the same for yours. If so, they are petit mal seizures. Punk has been diagnosed with this from a dog neurologist in Dallas, Tx.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
It could be those things BUT it can also be anal glands, allergies, even just an itch. All of mine do it or air lick at some point. I remember thinking that maybe the breeder decided not to show Cutty because maybe he wasn't "all there". Lol! We got him at 9 months and have never had a dog that did this. We were happy either way, even if he was mentally challenged. :LMAO: have since learned different. Then I think it was the eukanuba he was eating.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.