General questions that i need a little help with...

Keisha

Dec 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Ok, biting? ouch.... he nibbles when playing and i discourage that, but sometimes he just attacks my socks and toes within! OUCH! and then occasionally when holding him he will bite umm... well... boobs... weird?!?! which really hurts and i discourage and put him down to show him if he bites im not going to hold him. Ive tried redirecting to snake or bone which sometimes works, and i've tried pennies in a can and a light shake to distract which also sometimes works. Any Advice?

Potty training... He'll go when i take him outside, but we have no indicatiors as to when he needs to go, the kitchen is tile and living room and halls are hard wood, and bedrooms are closed to him, but there is a rug in the living room and Grrrr! almost everytime he goes to it he piddles.... and i scold if i catch him and remove him from it and clean to remove the scent.. we go out on a schedule (before and after feedings and naps and anytime he sniffs around) Any advice?

Last but not least Crate time....We leave it open when he is out so he can come and go as he pleases but what do i do when hes bad? Right now he has 2 crates, his big one and his little one, and an octagon pin, he goes in the little one when hes bad, and sleeps in the big one and the octagon one is mainly used to block the kitchen off so he has free roam of only the kitchen... Advice?????

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It sounds as if you doing all the right things, it just takes time. How much time? Well, that's like asking how long is a piece of string because there is no wrong or right answer. It will take as long as it needs to for your paticular puppy. I know that's not a lot of help!! Just remember that consistency is the key to everything.

I would add that when he bites you, that you try and let out a high pitched scream or yelp to show that you are hurt. The other thing I might suggest is that you remove the rug that he has chosen to pee on. Doesn't matter how well you clean it he will always be able to get a slight scent from it so you might want to keep that up until he has improved on his potty habits a bit more.

Good luck!! :up:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Time, consistency and exactly what you are doing is all I can suggest. Definitely remove the rug. No matter how well we think we cleaned it I don't think we ever get it all out.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I know it is frustrating, but again patience and consistency is the only thing that really works with these guys.

When he is biting you, one thing I would add is to push the inside of his cheek into his mouth. This makes it so that he is biting himself instead of you, and it is no longer fun for him, at all! They learn quickly, so I hope it helps with him. :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think you are doing a good job! It takes time, Lola is just now starting to chew her toys and not people. She still will if she gets over stimulated but it is getting fewer with age.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
It does get better with time and if you keep up with the awesome job you are already doing it will get better! Brutus at times gets excited and has his moments where he gets naughty (hes 18 mnths) He has been having some accidnets lately and Im not sure if its b/c of a Junior (new rescue) or if he is just acting out! Back to square one trianing! I think he will be in training his whole life :)

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
It sounds as if you doing all the right things, it just takes time. How much time? Well, that's like asking how long is a piece of string because there is no wrong or right answer. It will take as long as it needs to for your paticular puppy. I know that's not a lot of help!! Just remember that consistency is the key to everything.

I would add that when he bites you, that you try and let out a high pitched scream or yelp to show that you are hurt. The other thing I might suggest is that you remove the rug that he has chosen to pee on. Doesn't matter how well you clean it he will always be able to get a slight scent from it so you might want to keep that up until he has improved on his potty habits a bit more.

Good luck!! :up:

I agree with Kazzy. My dog was the worst biter ever - would give me bruises and draw blood. Just know that you don't have a demon spawn - most bullies have to be chewing on something at all times and distracting them with a toy will teach them what you expect of them. Sometimes they do bite just to be ornery, and that's when the pennies in a can comes in handy. It was the only thing that worked on Remi, now he's 75% on the journey to being a non nipper. He would go for anything. Face. Arm. Thigh. You name it, he bit it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All I can add to the great work you are doing and the advice given is..... good luck and keep us posted! Consistency is key to all of it

M

mabel lou

I has to literally put a diaper on my Mabel if she came into the living room or has any kind of material things to lay on. She hates it but she is learning that to come in she must wear this and the weird thing is that she will not whatsoever go in her diaper. She can wear it all day long and it will stay dry. But since doing this to her she is learning to hold her bladder instead of just dropping and peeing. Her accidents were very far and few in between but she did this without letting me know she needed to go outside. It worked for me and she is now use to it if I should have to go somewhere so I can leave without having to crate her.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
On the potty training, what I always do is....treats. When he goes outside and pottys just go on and on....Oh what a good boy you are....good boy, that's such a good boy. then give him a treat!
If you take him out and he doesn't go, NO treat. Believe it or not....he will start going out, just to get the treat!
Also, if he goes in the house, do not clean it up in front of him. He sees you cleaning it up and then he thinks he's doing something for you, and any attention just makes him do it again. Don't scold him, unless you catch him in the act. Then say BAD...Bad Boy! Don't hit him, just take him to the mess, let him see it and then take him outside. I take my dogs out about every 2 hours when I am home. They do their business and then run in to get the treat!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Sounds like you are doing all you can as for the biting we were only talking yesterday how ftse used to bite me all the time my toes, my ankles, yes my boobs too and it really hurt it was like 6pm came and he would turn into the devil and attack me I thought it was because I was at work in the day and he was paying me back for leaving him, but it does all pass soon believe me Ftse is 13 months old now and has not done it for so long at least 6 months I used to put him in his pen when he went too far for time out so he knew it was not allowed. Good luck

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oh how I could have written your post!! Bogey is 11 weeks old and a perpetual BITING machine! We have tried the coin in a can, water bottles, apple bitter and loud screeching. Worked the first few times, then it was "game on". However, we are not giving up- I have learned that when he bites to pinch his back leg, and he immediately releases because he has no idea where its coming from. As soon as he releases I give him a toy and when he chomps on it, he gets lOTS of praise. Worse case scenario, if he keeps going back for more, we crate him- even if it's just for a few minutes. That seems to calm him down. I do notice when he is tired, the biting is worse. So, nap times are required!!
As for potty training- YIKES! He will go on command outisde- no problem. But if we even lose sight of him for a few minutes, he will squat and pea anywhere!! When someone asks me if he is potty trained, I say no, I am! My hubby is not good about his cues, but I take him out every hour or so. I actually think that an occasional "accident" in the house, if caught in the act, is good- it shows them that THIS is not the place, but outside is!!
So, we do use his crate for "time out" other wise, the door is open all the time and he goes in 2-3 times a day on his own for a nap.
My legs and arms are full of bites, bruises and nicks! I had him at he vet yesterday- he (the vet) has a 16 week old French Bully- he showed me some great bruises on his ankles! He tells me the biting will go away before we do!!
Good luck!!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Oy! I feel your pain. Some advice that may help... If you play with your pup on the floor, this makes it worse, as you are on his leave and he wants to play like you are a puppy. Second, we had to stop playing tug of war kind of games all together... Just got him way too worked up. Walks are. Great way to spend his energy.

Potty training really turned around for us when we trained remi to use the bells on the door.

If you set the crate up so he can stand up and turn around, no other extra room, you should put him in there when you can't watch him like a hawk. You still need to take him out every hour or 2, but this will offer some relief if you need it. If he pees in crate, get rid of super absorbent bedding. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
K

Keisha

Dec 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Ok so far we have kicked the fancy bedding into the trash... back to his ole favorite... a beach towel... LOL he circles gets comfey and sleeps.. he is back in the small crate at night thou, as the big one gave him too much roaming room and accidents were frequent.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online