Raw Hide

gregorytbutler

Oct 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
My neighbor gave Boss a huge raw hide bone for Christmas. He loves it, but I seem to recall raw hide being frowned upon on here. Should I take it from him? If so, what's the problem with raw hide?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
The problem is that bullies have strong jaws and can rip off and swallow chunks of the rawhide that are big enough to cause a bowel obstruction, and or be choked on.
Yes it would be better to take it away, or watch him like a hawk the entire time you allow him to chew on it so you can grab any chunks immediately. That however is harder to do than I would even want to try. We personally just avoid them following the better safe than sorry idiom.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I second Lari's advice. While you think you can monitor your bully as they gnaw, by the time you realize they have a piece torn off, it maybe too late to retrieve before they swallow it. It's amazing how large of an item they can swallow and trying to wrestle something out of those strong jaws can be very difficult! I've tried enough times with various items that I've learned it's not worth the risk. The only item he hasn't been able tear into choking size pieces is raw marrow bones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Take it away now and throw it directly into the trash. I can't say too many times how dangerous these can be to any dog. Over the years I took too many chances and had to pull a section from the roof my pitty's mouth as he was gagging on it. He'd be chewing on a compressed rawhide (I thought it was safer) and before I knew it there I was again hoping he didn't choke to death on it. Better safe than sorry. :up:

OP
G

gregorytbutler

Oct 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Thanks guys, Boss is no longer allowed to have the bone. What are better options? He loved it so much better than his squeaky toys!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The frozen marrow bones are my boy most favorite of anything! On nice days he gets them outside but if given inside, I put an old towel on the floor and he stays right there on it - usually for an hour or two. He has learned that if he doesn't stay on the towel the bone goes away. I usually give him one a week. It's a great way to get some cleaning or other task completed. I get them in a pack like the attached image at a nearby dog specialty store. A pack of 6 cost about $8 and they last longer than most of his toys ;) He has power jaws!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1356574659.639692.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1356574659.639692.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 55

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I need to look for some marrow bones! Glad you took the raw hide away! I remember reading that on here right before I got Lola so she has never had one!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
You can find them in your grocery store, in the meat department. They are called Soup Bones and a heck of a lot less expensive than what you pay in the pet supply store.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I dont have anything to add , but agree with all the great advice above as always. Better to be safe than sorry. I bought my 2 the Gaillelo Nylabone, it's S shaped and large enough that they can't swallow it, another good bone is the Kong bones, and marrow bones, but make sure they are large enough that they can't be swallowed. Good job for taking the rawhide away.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You can find them in your grocery store, in the meat department. They are called Soup Bones and a heck of a lot less expensive than what you pay in the pet supply store.

I bought some from the grocery when they were out of them at my normal dog supply store, but I found they were too big and had much more meat on them than I wanted Tank to have at one time (which also made them messier). I'm thinking they weren't that much cheaper at my grocery, either.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: my mother in laws dog had a piece stuck in her throat all day it scared me so bad I had to put my fingers down her throat I would never give my dogs rawhide ever again be careful

Amnesia

Jul 2, 2012
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Emmett
Don't let him have it. Bullies do not chew well enough and they will either choke on it or swallow large pieces which are not easily digested and could cause serious complications.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rawhide and bulldogs do not mix.... I would not give it to him

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online