Backwards sneezes ?

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Meeko keeps doin this funny noise randomly it sounds like a backwards sneeze.. He makes the sneeze noise then breathes in. He does it repeatedly 5/6 times in a row. I keep tryin to record it to ask for advice but i keep missin it. Is this normal? Hes had his kennel cough medication and is acting normal eatinf normal etc x

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Occasional "reverse sneezing" is not abnormal. Finn does this on occasion and it seems like the colder weather triggers it more. Is Meeko doing this every day or just once in awhile? I think it would concern me if he was doing it on a daily basis.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hes been doing it every day a few times a day recently hes never done it before the last few days. I thort he may have irritated his tgroat at first chewing his new plastic ring toy and thort it would pass but its been a few days now. Vets have no appointments for over a week they said theyr jammed because of xmas and new year X

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hes been doing it every day a few times a day recently hes never done it before the last few days. I thort he may have irritated his tgroat at first chewing his new plastic ring toy and thort it would pass but its been a few days now. Vets have no appointments for over a week they said theyr jammed because of xmas and new year X

Is he currently on antibiotics for the kennel cough? Just continue to watch him closely; if he starts having problems w/breathing or has excessive nasal discharge or lethargy and/or not eating then definitely go to the vet asap.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Noo hes not on any antibiotics. He hasnt got any other kennel cough symptoms like runny nose gunky eyes etc. Im bpoking him in when they have a spot free but was hoping somebody could help me on here too lol x

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry I can't help with any advice or suggestions, as I am not familiar with this, but want to lend my ear to listen, and learn, and also to send my love and support as well as prayers that Meeko is okay. Let us know know any updates

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Noo hes not on any antibiotics. He hasnt got any other kennel cough symptoms like runny nose gunky eyes etc. Im bpoking him in when they have a spot free but was hoping somebody could help me on here too lol x

okay , thought he was on medication for kennel cough. Well, reverse sneezing occurs when there's an irritation in the throat. Again, continue to monitor him for any other unusual sx's. There's really no treatment for reverse sneezing. One thing you can do when he starts the reverse sneezing is to lightly cover his nostrils or massage his throat area.
Check to see if any of the following applies (taken from veterinary partner.com):

"Anything that irritates the throat can cause this spasm and subsequent sneeze. Causes include excitement, eating or drinking, exercise intolerance, pulling on a leash, mites, pollen, foreign bodies caught in the throat, perfumes, viruses, household chemicals, allergies, and post-nasal drip. If an irritant in the house is the cause, taking the dog outside can help simply because the dog will no longer be inhaling the irritant."

M

mabel lou

When my vet seen my girl for reverse sneezing because I had no clue if she was having difficulty breathing or what, but she said not to worry and to place my two fingers over her nostrils for a a few seconds and that causes her to open her mouth and breath. It worked. So she said to observe her for anything else out of the ordinary , fatigue ,lethargic, things that I felt were out of the norm causing her possibly medical problems and to bring her back in for an evaluation. At that time she did end up with a ear infection. The ear infection was treated and so for me the reverse sneezing stopped after that. She has only did this one other time and was not feeling down or anything.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thankyou so much cali baker and mabel lou. Hopefully hes just irritated his throat with his new toy. Ive taken it off him and will keep an eye and let you all know how he goes over the next few days.. Fingers crossed x

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: my female does that sometimes it's when she has a hair or something in her throat I just rub her throat or put my fingers on her nose an she stops hopefully he doesn't have a bad scratch in his throat good luck hope everything is back to normal soon!!

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka has done that a few times too--usually when he gets overly excited about something, like if I am getting a treat ready for him and he is getting impatient waiting for me to give it to him. I have heard that once they swallow it goes away. I don't think it's anything to worry about unless it gets excessive.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Gio does this once in awhile, I keep a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge at all times for this reason. If he does the reverse sneezing I'll just squirt a tiny amount down his throat and the lemon helps break up the phlegm.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My boy did this a lot and our male Frenchie also does.... but our girl raely, if ever does this. We do a little squirt of lemon juice to help when needed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.