Eye issues

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Shortly after i got Lucy we started having some serious red tear stain issues in that wrinkle on the white side of her face. The vet gave me neomycin and I've been cleaning it with a soapy rag and putting monistat and baby powder in the wrinkle but its just getting worse and is constantly moist. Any suggestions here? For two days now I've added acv to her water and I've started a teaspoon of yogurt a day.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
ScottFree00

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
And by the way.... Merry Christmas

Hannah

Dec 16, 2012
Las Vegas
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer, Hannah and Mia
I also have this problem my girl is 8 months old. The vet I take her to knows bulldogs. He said that she had eyelashes rubbing her eye. He has frozen them off twice. The second time he did it he said she only had 3 on each eye. So she may have to have it done again. He also told me they should stop growing when she is 2. I also have just started using yogurt and they seem to be getting lighter. Good Luck.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Put "tear stains" on here in the search box and your head will explode from the posts offering both frustration (me) and helpful hints (everyone else).

Good luck to you. Let us know how your apple cider vinegar works out. There are folks here that swear by it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sounds like you are on the right track with what you are doing but.............. couple of things come to mind immediately. IF it has anything to do with yeast, Yogurt is feeding it. and secondly, it CAN be caused by food allergies ... make that often times IS caused by food allergies. Doesn't matter if you are using the best food out there, if it has something in it that YOUR bully is allergic to, guess what? tear stains! Just food for thought.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would stop the yogurt.... how old is Lucy?

OP
ScottFree00

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Here is the staining. It surrounds her eye as well as in the wrinkle.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356622665581.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356622665581.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 138

sstewart2010

Dec 10, 2012
Garden City, Michigan, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Leroy
I know that nobody has commenting on this topic for awhile but I was just wondering if you saw a vet about this and what you found out? I am only asking b/c my Leroy has one white eye and one brindle colored eye like your Lucy and the white eye looks just like that, the brown one isn't nearly as bad. Please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated!!

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
I used to work at a little pet store that specialized in pet nutrition, and I saw this type of tear stain often. Many more times than not, it was a food allergy. But what doesn't make sense about it being a food allergy is that you say it's only on one eye, and her age. I don't think I've ever seen it on just one eye, and it's not very known for dogs to have food allergy symptoms that young (I've only seen it that young when allergies are severe and only get worse in adulthood). A lot of people have told me about a product called 'angel eyes' and those who use it highly recommend it. I would look into that until you figure out where the problem is coming from. :)

OP
ScottFree00

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I know that nobody has commenting on this topic for awhile but I was just wondering if you saw a vet about this and what you found out? I am only asking b/c my Leroy has one white eye and one brindle colored eye like your Lucy and the white eye looks just like that, the brown one isn't nearly as bad. Please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes I did see the vet over it. Lucy has entropion in that eye. It means the eyelid rolls in and the fur rubs the eye. In mildest cases the hair can just be plucked. In our case the eyelid has to be tacked until she is old enough for surgery. Go see your vet. Hopefully its just tears showing up more in the white fur.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358603438591.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358603438591.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 109

sstewart2010

Dec 10, 2012
Garden City, Michigan, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Leroy
Leroy went to see the vet today and it looks like the issue is some eyelashes that are rubbing against his eyeballs and causing irritation and more tearing than the norm:( I have been told by vets before that some day Leroy may need the surgery where they freeze off the eyelashes if it becomes too bothersome. They gave him some antibiotics b/c the area has an infection and also a hydrocortisone injection b/c he keeps itching his eye raw. I was also told to clean his face daily with witch hazel. I am sorry to hear that Lucy has a similar issue and can only hope it will get better in the future.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.