Huskies

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
So as remi has been getting older, he has been attacked or barked at aggressively by more and more dogs. I'm sure it's because he's just about 6 months. It also seems like the bully breeds are so bold that the way they approach other dogs is considered some kind of breech of politeness. Eye contact, etc.

My aunt talked me into bringing remi to Xmas dinner tomorrow and they have a husky about 1 year old.

Does anyone have any experience with how this could go down? Should I back out!?

I don't know how well the husky is trained, haven't met him yet. I know huskies are super playful but not sure If a bully on his turf is pushing the limit.

thanks and merry Christmas!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Is your doggy crate trained? You could bring a crate and give him a safe quiet spot if he needs to relax.

Whenever we've taken Chance to visit family with other dogs, we've kept him on a leash for a good portion of the time. Not so much because he isn't fine with the other dog (though my bf's brother's 11 year old Vizsla likes to taunt him with toys), but because the kids (oh dear god the kids!) are aggressive when they play with him.

If the husky is well socialized and has had other dogs in his space before, it probably won't be an issue. The husky will outrun your pup anyway. :p

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: make sure you let them meet outside first an see how that goes an then you can go inside good luck & merry Christmas

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, agree they meet outside and if the Husky doesn't have a crate to go to
time out then bring Remi's crate...I so love his handsome mug! I've also heard
other breeds mistake their loud breathing as growling...that and their boldness
causes trouble w/those dogs that are insecure and/or aggressive. Let us know
how it goes...hoping y'all have a great time and the dogs too!

Merry Christmas and GOD bless y'all!
:christmas27:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I agree! I would bring a crate in case things end up being to much!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Thanks for the advice everyone! They have a 2nd crate I can use and Remi is definitely crate trained. xoxoxo! I will try to show Remi's butt when they meet so they can get off on the right foot. Or in this case, smell.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Being in another dogs home, a crate will be a blessing. If the husky is properly socialized it should be OK. But having a safe place to get away and de- stress is essential so little Remi can have some peace. Between that and the shirt you have certainly covered all your bases. I will be interested in hearing how it goes. I have a real soft spot for Remi. In general most dogs just ignore Miss Tallulah. They will sniff her butt and then walk away. I can hear them saying "Nope uh uh your not a real dog" I think it is a combination of lack of tail, small snout and a barrel chest that looks like dominant posture. But she acts submissive by not making eye contact and never approaching first so they just ignore her once they have come close enough to sniff her. Sometimes. I am the sad mommy at the dog park who feels bad because no one wants to play with Miss T and she SO wants to make friends and play. I think only Bullies understand Bullies.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Update: The husky handled Remi with total grace. Upon meeting, I showed the husky Remi's butt, and although Remi totally wasn't happy about it, it made him completely anxious, the husky did his sniffing thing and then they played a bit. When we got inside, they immediately started playing some more, but way rougher. I actually had to settle Remi down and put him in his crate. He started to get what we call the gremlin snarl he was playing so hard and panting and basically just taking it up a notch that I thought was wayyy too rough. He was pinning and dominating the husky. It was totally mortifying. I know my dog was playing, but even when he plays he has to be the one on top!!! It's just so obnoxious. The husky was gentle and elusive, thank god.

So Remi ended up being crated most of the night, which was literally 6 hours because someone forgot to turn the oven on!! (Christmas dinner was thus delayed) We took him out plenty of times for breaks to play with the husky and meet all the people, but couldn't have him running around with the husky and bull dozing into everyone. There were literally 40 people at this party, so I think it was all a bit much for him. Many people came up to him in the crate and petted and talked with him, and he was able to observe. It was so loud he couldn't sleep at all, so he was totally knocked out in the car on the way back on my lap!!

(Which btw, it's official. He is WAY to big to be sitting in my lap for car rides more than 10 minutes)

So I consider this whole thing a success. The husky was not aggressive in anyway towards my dog. I've socialized Remi so much with other dogs, but his aggressive play time I think is a sign I need to get him neutered sooner than later!! What do you guys think?? Does anyone have a bully who is was a ridiculous player as a puppy? Just totally relentless?

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Mine is and she is a female!!!!! I loved the way you described the noise when they play TOTAL GREMLIN style! Lol

Izzy will start pretending she is submissive, it's interesting to watch her. When she sees a new dog she will lay down on the floor and let the dog sniff her (maybe for a good 5 seconds). Then is her turn to take over and be the dominant one. First I thought she would be submissive towards other dogs but as she grows older she is acting more like an alpha female than anything else.

I brought Izzy to my father in law house for Christmas and he has a lab mix 7 year old female dog named Daisy. At first Daisy seemed to have way more energy than Izzy and she was doing most of the rough playing but once Izzy got to sniff the entire house and learn more about Daisy she totally took over the situation. It got to the point that Izzy grabbed Daisy's collar and literally dragged her!!!!! Bulldogs are so stubborn and they will not back down of any situation, it is crazy!!!! Of course Daisy got upset and growl at Izzy and she did right back at Daisy and they kind of fought.... Not real dog fight but Izzy ended up on top of Daisy pinning her down and she is half Daisy's size. We separate them at this point and both girls went to sleep since they were tired of playing all day. But Izzy is crazy.... She was jumping on the couch and flying on top of Daisy to catch her. If I don't keep a close eye on my baby she will jump off very high places because she is very impulsive and has no idea that she can get hurt.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update: The husky handled Remi with total grace. Upon meeting, I showed the husky Remi's butt, and although Remi totally wasn't happy about it, it made him completely anxious, the husky did his sniffing thing and then they played a bit. When we got inside, they immediately started playing some more, but way rougher. I actually had to settle Remi down and put him in his crate. He started to get what we call the gremlin snarl he was playing so hard and panting and basically just taking it up a notch that I thought was wayyy too rough. He was pinning and dominating the husky. It was totally mortifying. I know my dog was playing, but even when he plays he has to be the one on top!!! It's just so obnoxious. The husky was gentle and elusive, thank god.

So Remi ended up being crated most of the night, which was literally 6 hours because someone forgot to turn the oven on!! (Christmas dinner was thus delayed) We took him out plenty of times for breaks to play with the husky and meet all the people, but couldn't have him running around with the husky and bull dozing into everyone. There were literally 40 people at this party, so I think it was all a bit much for him. Many people came up to him in the crate and petted and talked with him, and he was able to observe. It was so loud he couldn't sleep at all, so he was totally knocked out in the car on the way back on my lap!!

(Which btw, it's official. He is WAY to big to be sitting in my lap for car rides more than 10 minutes)

So I consider this whole thing a success. The husky was not aggressive in anyway towards my dog. I've socialized Remi so much with other dogs, but his aggressive play time I think is a sign I need to get him neutered sooner than later!! What do you guys think?? Does anyone have a bully who is was a ridiculous player as a puppy? Just totally relentless?

Glad to hear it all went well..... neutering is a most but timing is best anytime after 6 months. As for the relentless play ==== BULLDOG! Both my babies would play and roughly until they literally dropped or they were placed in a crate or car... then they would sleep for two days :rolleyes:

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Happy to hear it went well all in all. Did you have the shirt on Remi while he was playing? If dogs mirror each other in play - trading off who is aggressive who is doing the biting etc. , then even though it can look pretty wild it is "polite" in doggy terms. But if one is doing most of the dominating or play biting then it is "impolite" in doggy terms. The most I ever saw Miss T act like that was when a Sharpei ( same pushed in face, no real tail and wrinkly puppy body- so they were OK with each other ) came into my yard for a puppy play date, same age, and both had their harnesses off. It looked and sounded like they were killing each other but it was mirroring. The vocalizations do sound like evil gremlins! Very rough the way Bullies play. She slept for about 15 hours after that.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Im a bit late to reply lol but Meekos best friend (my sisters dog) is a husky :-) they adore each other (a bit tooo much when shes due a season and hes feelin frisky lol!!!)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Glad to hear it all went well..... neutering is a most but timing is best anytime after 6 months. As for the relentless play ==== BULLDOG! Both my babies would play and roughly until they literally dropped or they were placed in a crate or car... then they would sleep for two days :rolleyes:

Cesar Millan put it this way, "Bulldogs were bred to not have limits."

Supervising play and disagreeing with behavior you don't want to see is all you can do. My pups play sweetly -- but LOUDLY - with each other now; but that was after much supervision and many times shutting the thing down if I didn't like what was happening. They way they play now will often make "non bulldog people" wonder if they're "Fighting" or not --- they are not. Knowing the difference is very important I think.

Watch [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] 's pups play if you want to see what gentle, sweet playing looks like. hee hee

I'm glad Remi had a good time with the Husky. Bo fell in love (again) with my sister's boxer and while He was playing nicely, he was RELENTLESS so he had a time out so Olivia The Boxer -- and us humans --- could have a break from the non-stop activity.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.