Frustrated bully owner

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
I don't know what to do anymore....hate is a strong word but I can't handle our dog anymore....my husbands dog mostly but I end up spending more time with her and buying her supplies....he's the pack leader, and I'm the toy. I'm worried that when we have kids Spunky will freak out and act out...she constantly jumps/bites me and I feel like I've tried everything....of course finding her another home is not an option, I'm not sure how to handle her anymore.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
For the record...I care for spunky a lot....but really don't get through to her, and I've spent a year trying!

(I'm very stubborn and strong willed so I'm surprised we don't connect more) :/

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Do you walk her? That can help show her who's boss. I have a similar problem with Liz. My husband said I squeal like a really fun toy. We took her for training classes which helped. You are supposed to not react, but turn away. Then reward her when she listens. Liz is 1 1/2 now and no longer jumps on me unless I indicate I want a hug. Then she is very gentle. She is very stubborn. It takes a lot of patience and consistency. Good luck.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Yes I personally walk her (every other day at least) and she went through puppy class but not "advanced" yet...

Thanks!!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am going through the same thing although doesnt sound as bad but Lola is pretty spunky and what I have found to work is when she acts aggressive with you make sure you dont allow her on the furniture and if she jumps up you push her down tell you say its ok to be up there. That has helped a lot in showing Lola who is alpha. I have only been doing this for 5 or 6 days and already see a difference and also when you are walking Spunky make sure you keep a shot leash and spunky stays behind you or right beside you and dont let her pull you and control you. Those two things have really helped!

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
There are small things you can do to assert your dominance.

Don't feed her at the table.
Don't feed her until after you've eaten.
Establish boundaries like not letting her on the furniture.
Always proceed her into a room. If you're coming back from a walk, enter first.

When she does something you don't like, force her into a sit/stay position by pushing down on her butt gently. Over time, lengthen the wait period between the stay and the release.
Don't repeat commands. Say something once then make her do what it is you want her to do.

When Chance was younger and was into jumping up like a crazy thing, our breeder taught us how to gently flip him onto his back by standing on one of his sides, reaching under him and grabbing his opposite legs. He eventually became good at evading this :p but putting him onto his back and actually forcing him not to get up until I gave him a release word taught him who was boss. I can now flip him onto his back and walk away from him and he will not move until I say so.

All in all, be consistent and remember that training is ongoing. Just because you learned something in puppy class doesn't mean it doesn't need to be reinforced. Chance learned to walk without pulling in obedience but a year later would drag me down the street if I let him so every time we go out on a walk, I do corrections, make him sit to cross the street, sit to wait for the elevator etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if your dog starts responding even better toward you if you establish yourself as an alpha in her eyes. Just remember: Bulldogs are not labs. They are loyal but they don't aim to please the way a lab does. And they are too smart for their own good!

One last thing: Make sure you and your husband are using the same commands. Training Chance was made 100x harder by his dad who forgot commands or didn't follow through with them. :p

Good luck! Don't give up on her and don't let her give up on you! :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I think we've all had our moments as you've described! There was a period there with Bo where I thought, "WHAT HAVE I DONE?" For me the frustration was with Bo's rough play behavior with Bea. I didn't like how rough he was with her but as a pack leader, I cannot "favor" one over the other. I was torn. What to do??

Lots of Leadership rituals helped. Our daily -- no matter what -- time together on the walk helped a BUNCH. Time and consistency during that time helped immensely. I've found that once Bo "gets" something -- he gets it. It just takes a while.

Remember too, she's a pup. She's learning. You are learning. In the end, the pay off is an incredible, deep relationship with your dog that you and your husband --- and subsequent children (because you are raising them as pack leaders) --- will ALSO know!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Some very good responses so far, and all excellent advice.

One thing I would like to stress for you is this:

If you are frustrated with your bulldog, then your bulldog probably knows it. When you are trying to work with her, your frustration is coming out in your voice (the words you choose and the tone in which you speak) and also in your body language. Both are systems of communication that your bulldog picks up on and responds to. Your dog might think that you are trying to play, which will make her more rowdy. Then again she might understand that she is frustrating you, and is challenging you to be Alpha of your home.

Either case, follow the above suggestions. Always do so in a calm, controlled manner. If you see nothing to get excited about, then soon neither will your Bulldog. :) This works for me, a lot. In fact, Winston obeys me far more often than my husband, who tends to yell at him when he is doing something not so good for him.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
You have gotten some really good advice! Don't give up! You need to find what works. I too get frustrated at times and my voice and demeanor change. Bogey ABSOLUTELY senses this and GETS WORSE! However, my hubby is the more sensible one, and always remains calm and in control. Bogey responds to that so much better! So, I have learned to ignore some bad behavior, but when it can't be ignored, I take charge in a CALM and CONTROLLED way. We have found that a few minutes of "time out" in the crate has worked wonders! Our little guy just did not respond to the shake can, the spray bottle or even putting him on his back. But the crate isolation has been a God-send! Just keep trying and find what works. The best news is that the pups do grow up and out of much of this behavior. You have a lot of support here! Hang in there!

disturbedmuffin

Dec 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
i agree with everything that was mentioned, My Bowser used to get so over excited that his biting would hurt so much, even caused me to bleed once or twice. I would do all the things mentioned above, as well as practice being very calm and mellow, you have to remain calm all the time, greetings has to be a quiet process when you come back home or when you first see your pup in the morning. If their already excited before you come through the door, just ignore the situation While Bowser was going through that "Alligator" phase, i would put him in his crate for a time out, wait for him to calm down, then let him out again, if he went back into chomping mode, i would repeat it. very quickly he got the hint. when guests would come over they would usually get him back in that bad mind state, cuz they would greet him so excitedly, i would tell them all to remain indifferent towards him when they first come in, and then after he is calm they could play with him. it rly helps, now hes just a polite sweaty pie, also i wouldn't let him use my hand as a toy, now that's he is behaving i let him gently mouth on my fingers when we play. You just have to be that way for a while till they understand the pecking order. but remember when your pup tries to pick on you, your gotta center yourself with that calm energy.

disturbedmuffin

Dec 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser

Lol Mer55 just wrote teh same thing as you, but completely agree!

Last edited:
OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Thanks everyone for the support...most of the training I continue to do with her, though it seems like I need to find another way around that (because its not working). I appreciate the advice and wish is luck.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I had the same experience with my Gunnyboy, When we were bringing him home he was a hand full it was a hour ride from where we go him to home.
He he would bite me , scratch me , all in all it was a nightmare ride home. When we got home he would terrorize the white boxer we had would chew funiture
and anything he could get his mouth on. I thought what did I bring home and he was only 12 weeks old, I wondered if I had made a mistake. He wouldnt leave anyone
in the house alone with his biting and jumping.I just continued to love him and ignored his nasty ways. It took a good two months for him to settle down and stop biting and acting crazy.
He turned out to be my best friend and was by my side every second of the day. Just love him all the time , he will grow out of it if you dont make a big deal about it. If he sees its getting to you he will continue. never give up on him and someday he will never leave your side.good luck and let him work it out, he will!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
You've got some good advice already! Just stay consistent. Aubie was horrible at biting and not listening, but we worked with her until we figured out what worked. We made her sit and stay before we fed her. We took her for walks when she was too energetic. She was especially bad with me and she NEVER listened or stopped on my command. I learned to flip her on her side and make her stay until she calmed down. If she got up and started up again, back on her side she went. Even for toys I made her do tricks. Try to make sure you're the one to feed her and don't let her eat until you give the command. If she tries to play wit you with a toy and starts biting you, take her toy away and make her calm down. Make her drop toys in the middle of playing, sit, and wait until you give the toy back. She has to know that you are boss.

It took a little while with Aubie, but she's such a good girl now. Don't give up, but don't put up with it. Even if you're tired and aggravated, try to stay calm, discipline, and show you're the leader. Now I'm the one Aubie loves to play with. We can play rough or tug, but she knows when I say drop it to drop it, or if we're playing and she's nibbling on me, when I say gentle to be gentle. It will take time, but be consistent and don't give up! She can do it, you've just got to make sure you are always showing your leadership.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone for the support...most of the training I continue to do with her, though it seems like I need to find another way around that (because its not working). I appreciate the advice and wish is luck.

i did not read all the response, but have you tried the "Nothing in life is free' training? Look it up on the web -- NILIF... it really work and keep in mind if you are frustrated Spunky senses this and reacts on it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.