Brutus LAY

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Has anyone else had problems teaching their EBD to lay. I am having a lot of difficulties with Brutus. It's always been just like sit with other dogs, but Brutus is just not catching on.

And of course here are some pics, because that's the only reason for a camera on my phone

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356194500.835168.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1356194511.845170.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1356194521.112671.jpg

One time I ACTUALLY got him to sit (after 5 minutes of coaxing)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356194567.829331.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try to lore him with a treat.... place him in a sit, then treat --- get another treat while he is still sitting and place it on the floor still in your fingers and drag forward ... he will eventually get what you want him to do, but it may take a lot of practice

M

mabel lou

Yeah it is not hard, he already knows the sit so I just taught mine to look to the ground seeing a treat in my hand and I would say down and slowly pull my hand back and of course after a gazillion attempts it became clear to Mabel what I was asking of her and now she knows it right away. Her most recent thing she learned which I am so pleased with is this.
When coming in the house she knows she must sit first and then stay as she sees me grab for the towel and immediately she throws her paw up so I may wipe any excess dirt and or water off and down with that one and then the other so I can do the same and then I say up and she stands on all fours and I put my hand under her stomach picking up her rear so I can wipe her back legs. So funny because she won't move from the door until I have done this. I mean literally she will just sit their lol.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
What 2Bully said. When we took Ellie to a puppy kindergarten class, we worked on the down (or lay in your case) command. We would have our puppies sit and take a treat in our fingers and start at their nose and go straight down between their front paws and say "down." Ellie picked up on it pretty quickly and now as long as she knows you have a treat, does it on command if you're within a couple of feet of her.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Im strugglin with lay / down too! Meeko sits.. Waits with a treat infront of him on the floor til i say he can have it.. Gives both paws but just does not get lay! He lowers his head to the ground sniffs the treat and then gives up lol.
Ive also noticed the past few days he is very stubborn will only listen when it suits him or theres a treat involved and does not know 'come' or any actions to call him to you. *bad bully mum* .. So weve just had some training time this afternoon. Except i call him tap my knees praise him and hold a treat for him and Meeko just looks at me like im a crazy person!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like you have so good advise about, he is still young so be patient.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Diesel my sweet little angel boy refuses to do "down" on first command, now he knows what I mean and he knows how to "down" BUT for some darn reason he just doesn't ever want to do it when I ask him to, he will do all his other tricks to try and make me forget what I asked him to do and if that doesn't work he tries to give kisses ... such a brat when it comes to the most simple command of "down" but like 2BullyMama explained just lure him into the position praise and treat for a good job and work with it regularly, he will get it with a bit of work and consistency.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
He is so handsome! Hope he isnt like my Brutus :eek: no listening there! Its almost like he cant hear me LOL

Great pictures he is very good looking :)

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Keep the faith !!!! Meeko finally done it today!! After me moanin about him on here yesterday cos it felt like it would never happen the lights were on but nobody was home! If meek meek can do it im 100%faithful for u that Brutus will do it lol. The approach i took on him today was slightly different to how i done it before. I made him sit. Held the treat by his nose. Keepin the treat i would say Down and lower the treat to the floor in between the paws so his head would follow it down then i would slowly pull the treat on the floor away from him and being clever (LAZY!!) he slid down to the lay position followin the treat. Of course i praised him SO much he thought he was the cleverest doggy in Wales! But he keeps doin it now .. Finally the light is on and Meeko has come home lol!!

Last edited:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Good luck ..let us know how Lola gets on ! :2thumbs:
I also found it more successful if i was kneeling on the floor or sat on the chair rather than standing and training him. Maybe being lower down and closer to his face helped? Im not sure x

Last edited:
OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
He is LAYING! I had been telling him to sit, and then taking the treat to the floor of course then it only worked when I had a treat and could put my hand on the ground. I finally told him to lay and put my hand flat until he laid.... he is now doing it two days in a row :) Yippie! We still have some work to do, but we are getting there! Thank you everyone

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is LAYING! I had been telling him to sit, and then taking the treat to the floor of course then it only worked when I had a treat and could put my hand on the ground. I finally told him to lay and put my hand flat until he laid.... he is now doing it two days in a row :) Yippie! We still have some work to do, but we are getting there! Thank you everyone

GREAT WORK!!!! It takes time... lay/down is a tough one, but keep with it!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online