Canine Good Citizens Class

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I have been wanting to take a training class with Uni for a long time now, since she was about 8 months old. She knows her sit, stay, come, and a bunch of other tricks too but I wanted to hep her work on concentrated in a setting with other dogs and people around also wanted to work on social skills. Right when I was going to join one last year with her, she went into her first heat. So I put it off. Then we got another puppy and things were busy for the summer. So the class started again this December. We all joined! Me, BF and UNI and Boadie. We have gone to two classes now, and already I am disappointed in the trainer. Not only did she give us a derogatory comment about bulldogs in the first session! She also seems not very qualified. I find my self wanting to help others in class because she is not giving them the info they need to know. I am no " dog expert" but it seems that I have all the info she has. And could also deliver it better to the people in the class. This got me thinking, We live in a small town and there is only this one CGC class available, there is, however, one other dog trainer besides the one I am working with, but he deals with more problem cases. Maybe just, maybe, I should try this out! I have been looking into a pet based businesses. I am also looking into a pet bakery!

Any ways back to the subject, now we are locked into this 8 week class that cost us hundreds of dollars and I feel like I know as much as the trainer does! She does not offer much help during the class and when asked for info on how to help she does not give all the options to help with a giving problem, it's like she forgets to tell us and goes off on some other thing most of the time. On top of all of this Uni already knows most of the class criteria and I think she will have no problem passing the class. Boadie on the other hand need some work. Being only 8 month old he plays around in class a lot and has a short attention span. So, hopefully, at least we will get our moneys worth with him. We are just going to wait this one out and see how the other classes go... I will keep you all posted

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Have you thought of becoming a Certified Dog Trainer? I'm not positive when I will start the class but it is my goal for 2013 to become certified though Animal Behavior College ... if it is something you enjoy you should go for it!!!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
That's stinks! If u want to get out will they give u any of your money back?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You should thinking about asking for a refund and finding another trainer... even if you have to travel a little ways for it

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I a considering becoming a trainer! I think it would really be great, giving back to animals and people would be amazing. And just think of the what they would in return give to me!

As for the class, we are committed I believe. My plan is to continue with it and maybe at the end off class if I don't feel like this was a totally waste, I will ask for a discount on a more advanced class for them next. I don't feel like traveling an hour and a half for another trainer is an option. Just to much travel time. Like I did mention before, there is one other trainer in town, but he works more with problems and uses positive reinforcement as well as negative reinforcement. Which I feel is not for my dogs.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I a considering becoming a trainer! I think it would really be great, giving back to animals and people would be amazing. And just think of the what they would in return give to me!

As for the class, we are committed I believe. My plan is to continue with it and maybe at the end off class if I don't feel like this was a totally waste, I will ask for a discount on a more advanced class for them next. I don't feel like traveling an hour and a half for another trainer is an option. Just to much travel time. Like I did mention before, there is one other trainer in town, but he works more with problems and uses positive reinforcement as well as negative reinforcement. Which I feel is not for my dogs.

Honestly, I'd make SUCH A STINK that they'd be begging me to take my money back and leave. The trainer is an unqualified hack. You shouldn't have to PAY for THAT. No no no no no.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.