Training effectiveness with both puppies together or apart?

guntruck

Dec 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Snoopy, Roxie
So Rox and Snoop are together 99.9% of the time, my question is anyone with experience with two puppies know if its more effective to train individually or together? Or does it not matter? They are 4 months old now and as long as I don't forget to let them out regularly there is not much of an accident in the house and if it is its usually #1. They sit very well and respond to the come command, however they are a little more stubborn on that one. If Snoop is into what Roxie is doing he wont come right away, when she comes he follows. They do fairly good though and are getting better. I was wondering though without the distraction of each other if it would be more effective to train them individually? Ideas?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think I would be tempted to train them both separately. As long as you use the same commands for both! And then when you think they've really "got it" and won't be distracted by other, I would try the same commands with them both at the same time.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Two at once, my hat is off to you. lol! I have one and am getting a second one in March; my logic was Amber would be a year old and know the ropes and "maybe" the puppy would see Amber and get some of the commands down by watching her. If I did have two I would divide and conquer, meaning train one at a time so they don't get confused. I have never had two puppies at once but I have had to rescues at once and I always work with each separate and once they get the commands down then I work with them together. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think I would be tempted to train them both separately. As long as you use the same commands for both! And then when you think they've really "got it" and won't be distracted by other, I would try the same commands with them both at the same time.

^^^ agreed. When I worked at a day care facility, the trainers there always recommended they be trained separately and i they were in the same class... there had to be a human for each pup.

OP
G

guntruck

Dec 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Snoopy, Roxie
Good info and thanks! I kind of thought it might be better just never tried it. Going to start tomorrow, then we hit the skateboard =)......

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
having been through this in the past, my best advice is to do a separated training in the beginning for each then as they learn more and completely understand commands finish with training together, I found that once my dogs understood the basic stuff I was teaching them I was able to incorporate the training with them together with great results.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Thats how we did it [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. My bullies are only 2 months apart. We took them to the same training class. I said "we," Fernando and I. We were the only 2 in the class. I noticed that they did watch each other, but they trained separate. Even at home they are still sort of separate. When I treat them, I use their name, tell them to sit, then treat. Sometimes the other one has already figured out I want her to sit.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Depends on what type of training you are talking about. Potty training, do them together, other training as in sit, stay, come, it may be better to do them separately.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think they would distract each other if u did it together. Let us know how it goes!

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Haha welcome and welcome to the world of two puppies at once! Mine are a year and a half now. We would take them around separate sides of the house and each do a training session separately. Then after about 10 minutes we would " reunite" because lol Wilbur would "learn" from Layla, especially leash walking!
we took them together to puppy basics class, but our trainer suggested that in adulthood we could have them in diffrerent classes. She also suggested that we teach them to be apart in addition to crate training. This was invaluable, as I have posted before, when Wilbur needed knee surgery.

Good luck please keep us posted!:D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I also have 2, they are litter mates, 9 months old. I find the same problem, they are together all the time, and want to play all the time. I trained them together when they were small, but as they got older , I take them out for their duties separately, because otherwise they just jump on each other, tug at each others leashes, and take forever to go. If I take them out separately they both do their duties right away. We do walk them together though, but then there are two of us, and we each take one.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I think you got all the advice you need, just wanted to say good luck and post lots of pics of your two little furbabies.

OP
G

guntruck

Dec 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Snoopy, Roxie
So just wanted to update. Given the recommendations I began to separate Snoop and Roxie, mainly taking them out separately, I noticed an IMMEDIATE change! The pups actually listened very well, together not so much. So I bought another crate and (I was keeping them in one large crate) and separated them, snoop whined and howled the first few nights but is golden now. I have began letting them go out together here and there and they are listening very well together now as well. It was crazy how effective that was............Thanks for all the advice!

kristier25

Dec 25, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Bentley
This is good information. I have 2 boys who are 6 months old. I did some basic training with them and they seem to get it but one is a faster learner. We have a consult for training classes tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if the trainer suggests that they train seperately.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.