Is this normal after being neutered?

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Zeus and my grand dog, Dexter, were both neutered a little over a week ago! Both of them did great without any issues; however, we have issues now. Both of them have been house trained without any accidents in months. Zeus is 11 months old and Dexter is 6 months old. This week they have both started peeing in the house. My daughter and I are both confused over this. Is this a normal reaction following the surgery? I have had a male yorkie and neutered and he did not do this, but never have had a bulldog neutered. I want to have his neutering reversed! LOL:confused::mad::help:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have any experience with this, and have never heard of this happening after surgery. I had my male Dozer neutered 2 months ago, and everything went fine, he healed quickly, and pees normal like before the surgery. I am sure someone else on here will be able to help you soon. It's quite puzzling though, and funny that its both dogs and not just one. I wonder if it a territory or marking thing, since its both dogs. Do they both live in the same house? If it keeps up, maybe you can ask your vet if they have ever heard of this. I hope you find a solution soon, and it's nothing too serious. I can see where it would be frustrating though having them pee in the house. Good luck, and keep us posted.

OP
wheezer

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
No, they do not live in the same house. My grand dog comes to play several times a week. He has not done it at my house but he does it at his house and has never done it at his house prior to surgery.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I was thinking that if they were in the same house, then maybe hey were marking territory, but since they are doing it in separate homes, then I'm stumped.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi its me again. I Just Googled this problem, and it seems it can be a very common thing after surgery, it says that sometimes a male can have incontinence problems for 2 or 3 weeks after surgery, during the healing, and it should go away. It says it could be a temporary thing until the wounds heal, and you should take him out every 3 to 4 hours during the day until it rectifies itself. The other thing it could be is a Urinary Tract Infection from the surgery, in which case he will need antibiotics to clear it up. If it doesn't seem to be getting better, then a visit to the vet might be a good idea, just to have a quick look at the surgery site, and give a urine sample just to see if it is an infection.

OP
wheezer

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Thank you! I thought it must be related to maybe infection or swelling putting pressure on the bladder. The incisions look good good on both, so it may be a UTI. Thanks for your help! This is the best site for bully lovers!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Your welcome, I hope you find what is causing them to pee , and that this a temporary thing. Keep us posted.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I'm just finding this post but looks like you got excellent information from Vikinggirl!! hope things get better soon.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I don't know anything about it but wanted to say I hope they get better fast!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We didn't have any issues with Bacon either, it just seems bizarre that both of them are doing it. Did the same vet neuter them both?

OP
wheezer

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
:2thumbs:Yes, they were neutered by the same vet. My hubby called me today and said Zeus is back to acting normal and Dexter was neutered a few days later so maybe he will return to normal in a few days, thanks for all the info!! This was so strange to me! I am glad e dry thing is back to normal before I get home tomorrow.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:2thumbs:Aww that's great news, I'm glad they are back to normal, and it wasn't an infection, seems like it was just the healing process, and now they are okay.

OP
wheezer

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Thanks[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]! At least, we all learned something new from this! Thanks to you for the research!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Bit late to this but I'm glad everything has turned out ok ......... I've never experienced this with any of my dogs that have been neutered! :blink:

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I had the exact same thing happen! I rushed him to the Vet & he said he was just pissed!

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.