Flooring for the Bully Home

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Hi Guys,
We are looking into re-flooring our home in the spring (March/April timeframe), and I was hoping to get suggestions on what floors are best for the "bully home." We currently have a home that is half tile (which I LOVE, but I don't think I'd be able to find the same tile anywhere) and half carpet. Since I have severe allergies/asthma and we now have a dog, we don't want any carpet this time around. This will, of course, minimize the affect of puppy accidents, as well :)

Here are my thoughts...are they correct? Do you guys have other thoughts/suggestions??

TILE

• cost effective
  • looks nice, especially in our Southwestern home
  • can be cold
  • the grout gets discolored and cracked easily
  • really love the tile we have now, but I don't think we'd be able to find matching tiles
  • can be cleaned with just my steam mop, so it's safe for Sancho

HARD WOOD
  • looks beautiful
  • lasts a long time/can be refinished several times depending on the flooring
  • scratches easily
  • will warp where Sancho eats/drinks/drools
  • expensive
  • not sure if cleaning agents will be good for Sancho

WOOD LAMINATE
  • durable
  • moderate cost
  • lasts a long time, depending on what you get
  • looks nice
  • can be cleaned with steam mop

Am I wrong about anything or missing any key points? Do you guys have any recommendations?

I appreciate your input!!!

Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had laminate in our previous home... all your items are true, except, we could not keep it clean. Seemed everything showed especially drool marks.

We now have hardwood in our current home... all you list is correct. Not sure on the warping as of yet... only been here for two months.
Oh, we went with hardwood with the new house because it was actually cheaper than the laminate

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You can use a steam mop on hardwood if it's sealed. I love laminate or hardwood. And they make laminate that you can't tell isn't hardwood.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
for tile you can use a dark grout.

Vinal is the seast expensive, easiest to keep clean dog friendly stuff but not currently popular

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Another option is concrete which you can stain or paint then seal.

My house flooded last Spring and I moved back into, 3 months ago when my
husband died.

I also have tile and had carpet in the bedrooms/closets which we had ripped
out last Spring and were selling the house and letting the new owners decide
on their choice. Now that I've moved back, I've been trying to decide what's
best and as you say, probably won't be able to match the tile in the lving rm,
kitchen & dining room. For me, the CHEAPEST OPTION will be staining/painting
the concrete and sealing it. I think I'm going to paint it as near to the off white
tile then seal with a low sheen and have a unified look. I live in Central TX so love
the coolness of it and in the winter I bring out my area rugs.

Wood floors will not warp if sealed and that also cuts down a lot on the upkeep.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=5200]redhed[/MENTION] - is it hot during the summers where you live? If it gets hot, I would go with either the tile or hardwood floors so your bullie can lay on the floor and cool off.

my cousin has cement floors throughout his home, he is in a wheel chair so that is the only flooring that can hold up to his chair, but his floors are awesome I would LOVE to have the cement floors ... his are heated in the winter and nice and cool in the summer, my dogs love it at his house :) like Texas Carol said you can have them stained and can even have them molded & stained to look just like hardwood floors!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We have wood in our kitchen and I love it but if I had the choice I would do tile. Easier to keep clean and it stays so cool on a hot summer day.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
I need to keep track of this topic. We're considering ripping up the carpet in our house and doing either laminate or hardwood, so I'd be interested in seeing what everyone else has to say.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.