Why are mostly other breeds agressive towards bullies?

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Other dogs tend to be aggressive toward Sancho, too, but as has been mentioned, Sancho is a bit more "in your face" than most other breeds. I feel bad when we go to the dog park. The bigger dogs don't want to play with him and he's just too big and rough to play with the small dogs. He was just neutered a week or so ago, so it will be interesting to see how the dynamic has changed, if at all.

He does play very well with other bulldogs. It's a shame there really aren't any around here :(

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I keep coming back to this post and not replying because I don't want to be "the bad guy" in this thread but from what I have learned through training, reading and watching Cesar, our beloved bulldogs because they are Brachycephalic dogs greet in the wrong order, they do eyes, ears then nose which can set them up for failure with most dog breeds because the proper way is to greet "per Cesar: Nose, eyes, ears… in that order! – I remind dog owners that dogs see the world differently from the way we do. We communicate using our ears first, then our eyes, and lastly our nose. Dogs begin with the nose, then the eyes, and lastly the ears. Allowing a dog to experience our scent before we engage it in eye contact or speak to it is one way to establish trust early on. Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/basics/glossary-of-terms-from-cesars-way#ixzz2FN1XP6td" and it's our responsibility to teach our bulldogs the proper way to greet. We as bulldog parents can set our bulldogs up for success in the dog world by simply teaching them how to be a "normal dog" so to speak.

hope this helps a little

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
As previously noted, Bulldogs tend to make eye contact first, more like people,which is a big NO NO in dog language and is often understood by other dogs as a threat. Im not sure how you teach them proper ways to greet, but knowing this trait about my Bulldog, I always pay close attention when he is around other dogs in case I need to intervene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I dont know how to show them the right way either but I will listen to any suggestions!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
As previously noted, Bulldogs tend to make eye contact first, more like people,which is a big NO NO in dog language and is often understood by other dogs as a threat. Im not sure how you teach them proper ways to greet, but knowing this trait about my Bulldog, I always pay close attention when he is around other dogs in case I need to intervene.

this is what I've learned ... Meeting face to face is not the appropriate way for dogs to be introduced. Instead, find a balanced dog in your neighborhood or at the dog park and walk beside that dog with your bulldog. This is the natural way for a dog to become acquainted with another dog—migrating in the same direction as a pack.

[MENTION=5264]sweetpeasmom2008[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
What Vicky said makes sense to me. Having had 6 bulldogs and noticing other dogs didn't like them it never occurred to .e why.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Hmm. Interesting idea. Still trying to figure Rudy's dog aggression out. Sometimes he seems fine, sometimes he chomps first and asks questions later. He has not been the same since we tried to take in Joy, the psycho bitch. might be he is protecting Mila, the fearless little white deaf dog gremlin monster, not sure. He used to Have Mimi (rip) to Protect him. Maybe he learned a little protectiveness from her. Mimi wa image.jpgimage.jpgs his momma figure. She was very protective of Rudy and Tyler (rip). Tyler was, IMHO, autistic and ignored other dogs even if they growled. Mimi would hit them like a freight train if they even growled at Tyler.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 51

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hope your bully is okay after getting bitten, Bacon could care less about anyone but little dogs DO NOT like him at all. Our friends have a poodle that just goes after Bacon for no reason at all, and my relatives have to bicha-poos that do not like him either. They will all nip at him and he just sits there w/o a care in the world.

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I have not had the experience you describe with other breeds but I am sad to say the experience you shared with the pit bull is as much a problem with the owner as the dog. Anyone who finds humor in "unprovoked aggressive behavior" shouldn't be a dog owner of a pitbull or other dog. It's extremely irresponsible and many attentive pit bull owners feel this type of response is what gives pit bulls a bad name.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have not had the experience you describe with other breeds but I am sad to say the experience you shared with the pit bull is as much a problem with the owner as the dog. Anyone who finds humor in "unprovoked aggressive behavior" shouldn't be a dog owner of a pitbull or other dog. It's extremely irresponsible and many attentive pit bull owners feel this type of response is what gives pit bulls a bad name.

AGREED! Pits are great dogs, but just require their masters to be Alphas and give lots of love, exercise and training. Too many Pits get bad raps when it's really their owners that are to blame. There is no humor in aggressive behavior and there never should be, even in professionally trained dogs.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
This is a wonderful, important, conversation (albeit a sensitive one) so I'm glad we're having it here. I cannot offer much insight in terms of how to make bulldogs more approachable so any advice is welcome!

I have heard that one of the reasons bulldogs are misunderstood is because of their rolling gait. It doesn't "look" right to other dogs. I don't know how true that is... but if it helps us understand, I'll take it.

We have socialized Chance from the day we brought him home. With other bulldogs, he is fine. With other dogs (small and large) that he has known from a young age (including Pomeranians, Labs and Vizslas) he is fine. But, he is a reactionary dog and due to what everyone has mentioned above re: the way bulldogs greet, he tends to rub many dogs the wrong way. They inevitably end up growling at him, and he mouths off something fierce. I try to do the sit/stay with him when he is meeting dogs on a leash. When I take him to our local indoor dog park around trainers he has known from puppyhood, they turn his butt to the other dog to force proper socialization. He is still mouthy if another dog starts up but this usually helps most dogs get to know him. He isn't really an aggressive dog though... he will run away from a Miniature Pinscher who loves to think he can beat him up. :p

Of course, in our situation it does not help that Chance is still unfixed. I know that because of it I look like an irresponsible nut job dog owner when I am anything but.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea and Bo are NOT aggressive in any way but I can tell you that an "incident" WILL OCCUR if any of the following are true:
1) I am nervous or unsure -- that travels right down the leash to the dog. Always.
2) I am not taking a pack leader role in the meeting. That is, if the dog is controlling the meeting - not me. I bring the dog to the meeting -- the dog doesn't bring me.
3) I've not done my job as a pack leader and not correctly interpreted the behavior of the on-coming dog (who might be aggressive, fearful, or in general, unbalanced). As their pack leader is MY JOB to interpret the behavior of other folks' dogs. This is for two reasons; I have Flat Nosed, head held high bully PUPS who are still learning and who's behavior is often being misinterpreted by other dogs. And secondly: because not all dog owners are truly aware of what the hell is going on with their dogs.

A great example of this:
There's a woman we encounter on our walks who will RUN OUT of her house to see Bo and Bea when we go by. She got a rescue Puggle and so badly wanted her dog to be "friends" with her two favorite visitors. Fine. We wait for the Puggle to come outside on his leash.

Mistake #1 - I did NOT bring my dogs to the meeting. The pug came to US.
Good thing #1 - The lady brought the Puggle close enough to sniff the air but not close enough for one on one face sniffing. We visited while the three dogs sniffed the air -- around each other --- for a minute.

Mistake #2 - I get nervous and that travels RIGHT DOWN THE LEASH to Bea who then gets a bit snarly - defensive/fearful - with the Puggle.
Good thing #2 - I know, as a pack leader, that this WILL cause a chain reaction with Bo. So I throw my leg out between the Puggle and Bo (I am saying "I am in control of this meeting") and I first disagree with Bea's behavior (ACCCK!) and then I swoop down and spin Bea around so her butt is in the Puggles face. I hold her there for fifteen/twenty seconds and the Puggle gets a good snoot full which then let's alllllllll the air is let out of Bea's pissy balloon.

All this happened -- truly -- in a matter of a few minutes. The rest of the time, the dogs sniffed each other and Bo tried to get the Puggle to play with him (play bowing). All in all, a pretty good meeting for two strange dogs meeting a rescue with unknown issues on the rescue's territory! Not too shabby! It could have gone far worse. The woman has rescued many dogs over the years and has a strong basis of knowledge as well. She was feeling confident and calm and the Pug, of course, reacted to her calm assertive energy.

I hope this story helps someone. It's practical application stories like this one that help me.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Omg so glad I found this thread. This is totally my experience as well. Going to read all comments and absorb like a sponge.

OP
Deniztokcan

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver British Columbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
Bea and Bo are NOT aggressive in any way but I can tell you that an "incident" WILL OCCUR if any of the following are true:
1) I am nervous or unsure -- that travels right down the leash to the dog. Always.
2) I am not taking a pack leader role in the meeting. That is, if the dog is controlling the meeting - not me. I bring the dog to the meeting -- the dog doesn't bring me.
3) I've not done my job as a pack leader and not correctly interpreted the behavior of the on-coming dog (who might be aggressive, fearful, or in general, unbalanced). As their pack leader is MY JOB to interpret the behavior of other folks' dogs. This is for two reasons; I have Flat Nosed, head held high bully PUPS who are still learning and who's behavior is often being misinterpreted by other dogs. And secondly: because not all dog owners are truly aware of what the hell is going on with their dogs.

A great example of this:
There's a woman we encounter on our walks who will RUN OUT of her house to see Bo and Bea when we go by. She got a rescue Puggle and so badly wanted her dog to be "friends" with her two favorite visitors. Fine. We wait for the Puggle to come outside on his leash.

Mistake #1 - I did NOT bring my dogs to the meeting. The pug came to US.
Good thing #1 - The lady brought the Puggle close enough to sniff the air but not close enough for one on one face sniffing. We visited while the three dogs sniffed the air -- around each other --- for a minute.

Mistake #2 - I get nervous and that travels RIGHT DOWN THE LEASH to Bea who then gets a bit snarly - defensive/fearful - with the Puggle.
Good thing #2 - I know, as a pack leader, that this WILL cause a chain reaction with Bo. So I throw my leg out between the Puggle and Bo (I am saying "I am in control of this meeting") and I first disagree with Bea's behavior (ACCCK!) and then I swoop down and spin Bea around so her butt is in the Puggles face. I hold her there for fifteen/twenty seconds and the Puggle gets a good snoot full which then let's alllllllll the air is let out of Bea's pissy balloon.

All this happened -- truly -- in a matter of a few minutes. The rest of the time, the dogs sniffed each other and Bo tried to get the Puggle to play with him (play bowing). All in all, a pretty good meeting for two strange dogs meeting a rescue with unknown issues on the rescue's territory! Not too shabby! It could have gone far worse. The woman has rescued many dogs over the years and has a strong basis of knowledge as well. She was feeling confident and calm and the Pug, of course, reacted to her calm assertive energy.

I hope this story helps someone. It's practical application stories like this one that help me.

Thank you thank you thank you !

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.