Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are mostly other breeds agressive towards bullies?

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Why are mostly other breeds agressive towards bullies?

I have noticed that with Lola that she will walk right up to a dogs face to sniff and is very blunt about it and doesnt sniff other parts of the dog she goes straight for the face. I don't think other dogs like that but I think its pretty common with this breed.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Dogs interpret their world in this order: first nose, then eyes, then ears. Our smooshed face EBs must surely be at a disadvantage in this way. Maybe their "boldness" is interpreted as a threat by other, not-so-balanced dogs?
    I totally agree with the above assessment....and all I have to add dogs meeting on leashes, face-to-face is not ideal...I have learned to keep my dogs in a sit/stay when strange dogs are walking towards us (if I get a hint that an unbalanced energy is coming our way) we move away. Better safe than sorry...I hope your pup wasn't hurt too badly....

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

Real Name
    tamara
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
    Likes (Received)

@Deniztokcan @sweetpeasmom2008 Oh the timing of this post! Yesterday we had 2 incidents with Penelope getting attacked at an off-leash dog park and one incident involved a Boston and the other a Pitt. She was bit repeatedly in the face by a Boston before the owner took any action, and this was with 5 or 6 other bulldogs stepping in and protecting her. Then later on she was bit by the scruff of the neck by a pittbull and the owner - a cocky young, cigarette-smoking, unattentive punk - tried to tell me she got too close to his pitt's ball. I told him that was crap because she has absolutely NO interest in balls and that if his dog was aggresive about protecting his ball then he should NOT be playing ball with his pitt in an off-leash area. The guy and his dog left, but so did we as the incident put a damper on our otherwise wonderful bulldog meet.

Owners need to take more responsibility for the manner's of their dogs when off-leash. It is a PRIVILEGE to be off leash in public. We seem to live around a lot of crabby little dogs who don't want to play with Penelope so we try to go out to the parks and off-leash areas. It sucks when people don't immediately take responsibility for their dogs when they are not behaving appropriately.

Penelope is a sucky little baby girl. She is sweet and never dominent and did nothing to deserve getting bit. End of rant. Cheers.

Penelope & Dozer's Mama

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member redhed's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sancho
    Likes (Received)

Other dogs tend to be aggressive toward Sancho, too, but as has been mentioned, Sancho is a bit more "in your face" than most other breeds. I feel bad when we go to the dog park. The bigger dogs don't want to play with him and he's just too big and rough to play with the small dogs. He was just neutered a week or so ago, so it will be interesting to see how the dynamic has changed, if at all.

He does play very well with other bulldogs. It's a shame there really aren't any around here

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I keep coming back to this post and not replying because I don't want to be "the bad guy" in this thread but from what I have learned through training, reading and watching Cesar, our beloved bulldogs because they are Brachycephalic dogs greet in the wrong order, they do eyes, ears then nose which can set them up for failure with most dog breeds because the proper way is to greet "per Cesar: Nose, eyes, ears… in that order! – I remind dog owners that dogs see the world differently from the way we do. We communicate using our ears first, then our eyes, and lastly our nose. Dogs begin with the nose, then the eyes, and lastly the ears. Allowing a dog to experience our scent before we engage it in eye contact or speak to it is one way to establish trust early on. Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/basics/glossary-of-terms-from-cesars-way#ixzz2FN1XP6td" and it's our responsibility to teach our bulldogs the proper way to greet. We as bulldog parents can set our bulldogs up for success in the dog world by simply teaching them how to be a "normal dog" so to speak.

hope this helps a little
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

As previously noted, Bulldogs tend to make eye contact first, more like people,which is a big NO NO in dog language and is often understood by other dogs as a threat. Im not sure how you teach them proper ways to greet, but knowing this trait about my Bulldog, I always pay close attention when he is around other dogs in case I need to intervene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I dont know how to show them the right way either but I will listen to any suggestions!

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corlando465 View Post
    As previously noted, Bulldogs tend to make eye contact first, more like people,which is a big NO NO in dog language and is often understood by other dogs as a threat. Im not sure how you teach them proper ways to greet, but knowing this trait about my Bulldog, I always pay close attention when he is around other dogs in case I need to intervene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    this is what I've learned ... Meeting face to face is not the appropriate way for dogs to be introduced. Instead, find a balanced dog in your neighborhood or at the dog park and walk beside that dog with your bulldog. This is the natural way for a dog to become acquainted with another dog—migrating in the same direction as a pack.

@sweetpeasmom2008

Last edited by bulldogs4me; 12-17-2012 at 11:39 PM.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

What Vicky said makes sense to me. Having had 6 bulldogs and noticing other dogs didn't like them it never occurred to .e why.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Makes sense to me now i just need to know how to correct it!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)

Hmm. Interesting idea. Still trying to figure Rudy's dog aggression out. Sometimes he seems fine, sometimes he chomps first and asks questions later. He has not been the same since we tried to take in Joy, the psycho bitch. might be he is protecting Mila, the fearless little white deaf dog gremlin monster, not sure. He used to Have Mimi (rip) to Protect him. Maybe he learned a little protectiveness from her. Mimi wa-image-jpg-image-jpgs his momma figure. She was very protective of Rudy and Tyler (rip). Tyler was, IMHO, autistic and ignored other dogs even if they growled. Mimi would hit them like a freight train if they even growled at Tyler.-image-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Hope your bully is okay after getting bitten, Bacon could care less about anyone but little dogs DO NOT like him at all. Our friends have a poodle that just goes after Bacon for no reason at all, and my relatives have to bicha-poos that do not like him either. They will all nip at him and he just sits there w/o a care in the world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads