Nylabone and Kong toys

Trixie

Nov 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bixby
So this may sound like a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. When is it time to throw away their chew toys? Bixby is quite a chewer and has probably eaten small bits of the plastic. Is that okay for him to eat? I've taken away some of his toys because of this reason. He's also had a few stuffed toys which I've has to throw cause he's already gotten through to the stuffing. What types of toys do you give your bullies?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Bixby is such a cutie pie!

I would throw out the toy once the plastic bits start coming off 'cuz you don't want your bully to ingest that. Kongs for the most part are pretty tough but there have been occasions when Finn will chew off a piece of the rubber and then I'll throw the whole toy out.

The toys my boys gravitate the most towards are their balls--i got a couple very, very tough ones from [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] by a company called West Paw. Seems to be chew proof so far! Also, Tate just loves his stuffed Mr.Bill toy. He's gone thru several of these and I do mend their stuffies along the way as long as they're still salvagable. Also, they love their Elk Antlers--very strong, good for their teeth and safe.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My 2 eat , chew and swallow everything, so they can't have any blankets, pillows, stuffies, or anything small enough to swallow. I give them only Kong toys, they have Kong tires, balls, tug rings, bones, etc, they even chewed the stuffing out of the Kong Wubba, within 3 hours, I had to throw them out. I would definetly throw out anything that is chewed, with pieces off or missing pieces, anything that is worn, and anything that is small enough for them to swallow. These guys are goats and will eat or swallow anything they can. My Dozer has eaten rocks, socks twice , and my Blossom has eaten a whole bag of bulk barn penny candy. You don't want them eating any loose pieces of toys or stuffies as they can get lodged in their throats, or can cause problems with obstructions in the bowels. Dozer had this with a sock he swallowed. The signs of obstruction are diarrhea , drooling of water from mouth, and vomiting. Throw any toys not intact as its not worth risking them swallowing them. It's not worth them getting sick, or the vet bills. It cost me $500 last time for Dozer for IV, laxatives, pain medication, and X-rays. We almost had to go for surgery, and was told by the vet that would have cost about $4000. Luckily he passed it that night, but he was pretty sick. Be careful and watch the toys and throw away if you see damage or are not sure if they are still safe. Better safe than sorry. I just don't buy anything that isn't a Kong, or bigger than their mouths. I've had 3 scares with Dozer, and 2 with Blossom, so definetly don't take any more chances.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
my bulldogs are strong chewers but fairly good with toys, but my sons chocolate lab is terrible with toys, she has killed every single toy the bulldogs had before she came to live with us so in a desperate attempt to find toys the bulldogs could have and the lab couldn't kill I bought some "Jolly Pet" toys ... the jolly teaser balls have been a big hit the bulldogs can carry them around and play but the lab hasn't been able break it ... I got a jolly ball glow ball and its the labs favorite toy and even though she has holes all over it she hasn't been able to kill it ... ALL of the Jolly Balls have held up except the rope ball, she chewed the rope apart and it fell out of the jolly ball (damn lab) but so far the Jolly Balls have proven super durable!!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Nylabone and Kong are almost the only things we can give Winston to chew on. His favorite toy is a Nylabone, he lugs that thing all over the place including outside to go potty.

One other thing we like to give to him are empty gallon milk jugs (rinsed out and WITHOUT the cap.) He will chase that thing all over the house, he loves making the noise, I think. Once he settles down and starts to chew on it we replace it once pieces start coming off. They are easily replaceable and very very cheap.

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
I second (third, fourth?) the Kong toys. Sancho loves, loves, loves them. Especially the "Kong Knots" and Wubba Tugga. His uber favorite, though, is the elk antler. He will chew on this for hours while watching Animal Planet. It's pretty hilarious.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake eats everything! He has a couple nylabones he loves and the West Paw stuff is awesome. The nylabones are actually digestible. We do take them away when the corners are too rough or sharp.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon loves his nylabones and we haven't had to take one away yet, we always get him the jumbo ones so he really needs to work on them. That and he's spoiled and has about 5 of them so they all get loving for a little while before he moves on to the next one.

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Just gave Otis a new Kong toy this afternoon and believe it or not there is already a hole in it. He is about to be toyless :nope: because I can't afford his chewing addiction.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
My Otis will eat anything that isn't nailed down. When he puts holes in his toys I take the stuffing out and give it back to him. Either he doesn't notice that it's a flat piece of fabric or he doesn't care, he plays with it just the same.

OP
Trixie

Trixie

Nov 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bixby
Just gave Otis a new Kong toy this afternoon and believe it or not there is already a hole in it. He is about to be toyless :nope: because I can't afford his chewing addiction.

[MENTION=6037]Deanna1489[/MENTION] Bixby is about to be toyless too... I can't believe how much of a chewer he is...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We use both the nylabones and the kong toys. I usually try and get the largest size they have available in both of these.

The nylabones will wear down and tiny pieces will come off ... I hear them every time I vacuum!! But we don't throw them away until they are too small or they are starting to get large pieces off!

We also have a 12" jolly egg that they can play with outside. They are too rough with it inside and something would get broken. However, they all get a bit OCD over the jolly egg and that's when fights and squabbles start to break out, so I'm going to have to invest in a few of those for next spring!!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola chews on everything! A tennis ball lasts maybe 5 minutes before is smashed and chewed to pieces. The only thing that lasts a while is stuffed bones!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.