How often should a bulldog pup go #2

Fjcattie

Dec 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Hi,

our pup Lucy has been going number 2 about 10-15 times a day. Her stools are loose but not watery. She was eating Eukenuba from the breeder and going about 7 or 8 times a day when we first got her and had looser stools then also. Then the doc put her on Flagyl which seemed to help, but her stools never got firm. We have since been changing her over to Avoderm which we heard was a little easier on the tummy and good for her coat, etc. at any rate we know there is going to be some upset while we change her food over slowly. My question is how many times a day should a 10 week old pup have to go #2. Cause this 10 times a day thing is driving us nuts!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
At that age they usually will go 4 to 6 times a day and once they get a little it will be 2 to 3 times a day. You may be feeding a little too much food if it is still soft. Feed 3 times a day until she gets about 6 months old then you can feed twice a day. I would cut back on her food just a little to see if her stool will harden up a bit. Just have to play it by ear. Plus I'm sure you have had her checked for parasites? If not I'd get her checked as this too can make them have loose stool.

OP
Fjcattie

Fjcattie

Dec 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Yes we had her checked last week and she's heading back to the bet for round 2 of shots so she'll be getting checked again, we're hoping that once the changeover is done she'll be a little better. We will be decreasing her food as the changeover is completely done. Also we were thinking of adding canned pumpkin to slow down that digestive system. As we are in the process we have also noticed an amazingly horrible amount of atrocious gas too! Fingers crossed that her tummy will settle down.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Hi there! I have a new pup also, and this was my identical question last week! couldn't believe the amount of poop a day! I too am transitioning from Eukanuba, but to Fromms. I cut back on the amount of Fromm's ( I may have been going too fast) and added pumpkin to the food. I also give him a little yogurt each morning. After a few days, stools have finally lessened a bit- now we are at 5-6 times a day, sometimes more. I am transitioning food very slowly. Its already 7 days and I am still at 2/3 Eukanuba, 1/3 Fromms. glad you are having the stool checked though. That does seem like alot of poop! Good luck! And, welcome!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
David is right, and yes, add the plain canned pumpkin about a tablespoon a day. I seen her in the video, so darn cute.

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Our pup at 11 weeks crapped a lot. As to say, frequently. Always had soft stool or full blown diarrhea. Turned out he had giardia. flagyl didn't do much for his tummy and the pumpkin trick works here an there for him. Always bring a poo sample to the vet. Always worth it to check for bad stuff worms/parasites ect.... He's 15 weeks now and poop is still soft but less frequency by far. Lucy will go less as she gets older/bigger. Be warned!.!. Changing foods (even when done slowly) can cause a lot of poo. Might want to wait till she can produce good stool.

OP
Fjcattie

Fjcattie

Dec 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Yeah I'm starting to think worms may be the culprit, I've noticed her poos are grainy lately with what looks like small grainy dots in her stool... Dunno if that's just the new food or a sign of worms, either way she's off to the bet Wednesday.

OP
Fjcattie

Fjcattie

Dec 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
What a difference a day makes!! We gave her pumpkin (1 tsp per meal) and some yogurt (1 tsp once in the morning) yesterday and voila! Normal #2s! She's doing so much better today and there's no more graininess to her stools, it seems they may have been a byproduct of her food changeover. Thanks for the great advice!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Weird things happen when you do food changes at times, we switched Bacon from Taste of the Wild to Fromm and during it there were what looked like flourescent orange grains of rice in his :poo: it was bizarre.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.