Thundershirt

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola is not very good around other dog so tomorrow we are going to puppy socialization classes at our vet office. I have noticed that when she has a sweater on she calms down and doesnt move much so I was wondering if a thunder shirt like this would work? Has anyone tried these they say it is for anxiety and barking what you think?
pPETS-10905566dt.jpg
This shirt is designed to provide a calming effect when your dog experiences fear or general or separation anxiety. The shirt is fully adjustable for a snug, comfortable fit.
Calm your pooch with this Thundershirt for Dogs. The shirt delivers constant, gentle pressure to create a dramatic calming effect. With a success rate of more than 80%, the shirt is ideal for fear and anxiety relief from thunder, fireworks, separation anxiety and travel.
  • Made from a lightweight, breathable and durable fabric
  • Fully adjustable for a snug, comfortable fit
  • Easy to put on and take off
  • Constant, gentle pressure creates a calming effect
  • Ideal for fear and anxiety from thunder, fireworks, separation anxiety and travel
  • Provides relief from general anxiety and reduces problem barking, jumping and other unwanted nervous behaviors
  • Over 80% success rate
  • Heather gray offers attractive style
  • Machine washable for easy cleaning

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have heard some positive things about the Thundershirt, tho I don't have any personal experience with it. Let's hear what others have to say...

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
my parents use one on one of their dogs and they swear by them!! I haven't ever used one but I have seen how different their little dog Willie does when he wears it

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think im going to go pick one up in the morning and try it before her class! I will let you know how it goes!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I have never used the Thundershirt, but my frenchie has anxiety around new dogs and new people (I blame her previous home, she was only used for breeding and her vet said her teeth are ground down because she lived in a cage her first 3 years of life:crying:) but when I put her LariP fleece on or her Tshirt on she is like a new dog, more relaxed and not as nervous. So I'm sure something designed for just that would be even better! Definitely let me know how it goes, the thundershirt might be a good investment for my Diva!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I've also heard good things about it, but have no experience with it myself. It can't hurt to try it , and if it works great. If you buy it at Petsmart, they will refund your money if it doesn't work out, so you won't lose anything by trying it. Good luck hope it works out for you. Take some pics with Lola wearing it, and share them with us.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am pretty sure [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] uses one! Well... Not for herself....

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]-do you use the thunder shirt and if so does it work?

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I also have been reading about a calming chew GNC sells at petco that is supposed to calm them down. Lola did the walking around not settling down thing for a couple weeks and wasnt taking naps would just walk around all day and now she is running like a wild girl back and forth through my living room and kitchen then she jumps on my couch and barks in my face so I grab her collar and put her off the couch then I pay her no attention and that is helping some but she is just so wild! We are going to 4 socializing classes then start training. I talked to the training lady at my vets office today and that is what she suggested because if she is to hyper and weirded out by other dogs she wont calm down to be trained so we will start out with 4 saturdays with other puppies and if she still isnt handling it well I will do longer but hopefully she will do well enough to move to classes. She still shows no aggression towards us or any people other than licking them half to death:p but other than that it is just other dogs. I think that will pass but her being so hyper is about to drive me insane!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The way our bullies are shaped, I'm wondering if there's a Thundershirt that will actually FIT an adult bully? For Bea, everything that fits AROUND her big neck and tummy is far too long in the back. She looks like she's wearing a berka or a kaftan....

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We got one for HRH and it doesn't do any more to calm her than any other item of clothing. But also it does not fit well at all. To get it for a dog with her chest dimensions it is way to long for her and doesn't sit quite right. The concept is Good. But it's not made for the bulldog body.

We do use it if it's storming. But not for social engagements.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I will have to try one on at pet smart and see if it fits! If not maybe I can find a snug sweater for her to wear and see if that helps!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I'm going to take her to the tennis court before her class and toss her ball for a while to hopefully get some energy out so maybe she can be a little calmer

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]-do you use the thunder shirt and if so does it work?

No...when I was looking into it, I had a talk with [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]. He advised me against it....Orion is around the same size as HRH and the one they had got for her was not a good fit. So we just use clothes that fit snug. This is why Orion is such a good model. You put her in clothes and she just relaxes. For about 5 mins or so.....then she is off again.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.