Help please.. bad eye

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hi within the last 10 mins Meeko has developed a lump on his inner eye. I bathed him about 1hr ago and it eas definatly not there then as i bathed around his eyes with cotton wool and water. Il post a pic now. Its litrally come out of nowhere? Is this cherry eye and if it is .. Is it normal to just appear within minutes or is it possible hes got somethin in there or maybe soap from the bath? Hes actin normal runnin about playin with toys and hes not rubbin at it or anythin. Please help x 20121214_205939.jpg

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Well thats a bit wierd. Its completely gone now .. Ive made him look up down left right etc and its not there :/ .. I panicked so much for tgem 5mins! Id still like to know what it was though if any of you have any experience or knowledge x

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
That is what cherry eye looks like. It does seem to happen and it doesnt bother them at all. Brutus had both eyes pop out and 1 went in by itself the other I massaged back. Its good that it went back on its own.

When I give Brutus a bath now I dont wash his head with water. I use a damp washcloth b/c I got water in his ears once and he had a double ear infection :( Good Luck with everything...Love your signature picture ADORABLE!

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thankyou so much for your replies i panicked so much when i seen it lol. I was straight on here and google with the vets number ready lol! Fingers crossed it doesnt happen to him again. As soon as i looked on google it was saying about surgery etc i was so worried. ... Thankyou for the compliment on my signature pic :-) my 2 baby boys! Theyr the same age and really are best of friends lol the baby laughs and smiles atmeko all the time its so cute.. Id be lost without them xx

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thankyou so much for your replies i panicked so much when i seen it lol. I was straight on here and google with the vets number ready lol! Fingers crossed it doesnt happen to him again. As soon as i looked on google it was saying about surgery etc i was so worried. ... Thankyou for the compliment on my signature pic :-) my 2 baby boys! Theyr the same age and really are best of friends lol the baby laughs and smiles atmeko all the time its so cute.. Id be lost without them xx

THey are going to be the best of friends :heart: So sweet! Hope all goes well and praying it doest come back! Brutus is 18 mnths now and it hasnt come back..He was 4 and 6 mnths when they came out.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thanks for all your help. :-) Meekos 6months now x

You can see in this pic how much they adore each other
photoshake_1355522202447.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That is what cherry eye looks like. How old is Meeko? My female Blossom was 5 months when her right eye developed cherry eye, it came out a little bit , and I was able to massage it back in , it would come back out if she played rough or ran around with her brother. I was taking her to the vet at that time on a regular basis for all their baby needles, so I asked her about it. She said sometimes it goes away. When she was 7 months old, I had Blossom spayed and her eye was no longer staying in, so I had it fixed at the same time as her spay. Unfortunately a week later her left eye popped out too. We had been to Petsmart that Friday evening, and the girls in the groomers area love my dogs, so they were on the floor playing with them, we left at around 7 pm after buying some supplies. Her eye was fine , we went home and at 9:30 we took them out for a walk, when I came back inside, I noticed her eye was completely out, it was quite a bit bigger than when the right eye had started. I massaged it in, but over the weekend it wouldn't stay in. On the Sunday, I had a follow up appointment at the vet for her eye and I showed her the other eye. 3 weeks later she had surgery to repair the other eye. We thought she was free and clear , but the two eyes came out 2 months apart. Just keep an eye on her eye, sometimes it does go away, but if it doesn't and you need surgery , try to wait and see if the other eye will come out, it usually does within a few months of each other. I say this because when I had Blossom spayed and her eye fixed, the vet charged $400 for her spay surgery, and $250 to repair her eye, since she was already under the anesthetic , the two surgeries came to almost $900 after IV and medications. When I had her second eye repaired the surgery came to $859 because she had to be put under anesthetic , IV fluids, and medications again, so it would have been cheaper to do all the surgeries at one time. I used Refresh eye drops from the drugstore to keep the eye moist, because when the cherry eye comes out and doesn't go back in, the eye is exposed to the air and the tissue dries out, which irritates the eye. The vet also said for us not to let her hang her head out the car window, as the wind will dry and irritate her eye. The surgery itself is not painful to them, as it is not very invasive, there is no cutting involved. She bounced back quite quickly and her eyes are beautiful now, it's been almost 3 months and have healed beautiful, my vet and I are happy how they turned out.
I hope Meeko is one of the lucky ones and it stays in. Good luck and keep us posted. I love her name, my cats name is Meeko also, it means princess in Japanese.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Should i get him some eyedrops from the vets or pet shop? It has stayed in since but i want to try and prevent it from coming back out x

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all your help. :-) Meekos 6months now x

You can see in this pic how much they adore each other
View attachment 32405

LOVE these pictures...... especially the one where your skin kid is trying to eat the fur kid;'s ear....... lol

Hope all is well with Meeko's eye.... you have great advice from others. keep us posted

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon had a similar experience around the same age, it came out and Jen massaged it back in with a warm compress and some benedryl and we haven't seen it since. He turned 1 two weeks ago so you may be fine going forward.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.