Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HELP! Please.........Scary for me

@Dubbiedog Cleo will get that way with Mac sometimes and she will eventually learn, she has been a mommy's only until now! the only thing different that I would possibly suggest in the future would be perhaps to put her in the crate instead of Tio. She was the one who started it after all and he's lived a life of cruelty stuck in a cage 24/7 doing that when she's the aggressor could possibly show him that he's the problem maybe? Please, please don't think i'm being rude in anyway, it was just the fiirst thing that popped into my head when i read that you crated him instead and I just thought, poor baby he probably thinks he's in trouble now. Mac has never even growled at Cleo, i swear I've never heard him growl EVER, it is always her who starts the fights. And chews the kids toys. and my couch.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

You've gotten great advice. How scary for you! Be consistent and be in charge.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Dubbiedog - Be strong ... they will test boundaries and you just have to be there to correct the situation and remind them of the rules, boundaries and limitations you have set for them! Right now though it is very important NOT to give treats that they can fight over until they have settled into a secure life together, that's super important!! If you want to give them bone type treats, it would be best to put them each in their crate and let them gnaw on the bones in a secure place.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbiedog View Post
    I knew you guys would come through :-) I have read and will read all posts and will do what it takes to make this transition work, though it does sound that some of it may last a lifetime
    Not really, it's all about the training you do and the rules you set ... I have 3 in the house, my two bulldogs and my sons lab and in my home I am top dog, I feed them all at the same time in the same room, they do of course have their set spots but the #1 rule is no one can touch someone else's dish when it has food in it!! I am always close by during feeding time to enforce the rules but I can walk into my kitchen or whatever and Molly & Ally (the fast eaters) will eat their food step away from the dish and pass each other look at the others dish and walk over and sit just a little bit behind Diesel who is most often still eating and wait for him to walk away. It took time and I still have to be consistent with reminding them of their boundaries but once you establish clear rules, boundaries and limitations and they understand what is expected of them it will become a habit for them!! I now have them trained well enough that if Diesel leaves food in his dish, Molly & Ally will walk up look in see the food and look to me for direction ... which is always "leave it" so that Diesel can finish his portion.

Once you start setting and enforcing the rules they will start looking more and more to you for direction ... just remember its all about consistency!!!!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tom Fraley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge and LuLu
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

When we brought Lu LU home she was the same way, if Sarge would get near us she pounced on him and we had to pull her off him. When she would do it again we would flip her over and hold her down, after a few times of that she stopped now Sarge and LuLu are best friends and never fight with each other. That trick was one that davidh suggest we try and it worked for us.

Real Name
    Lucie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Liz and Amy
    Likes (Received)

The ladies do not fight over food, but over my attention. When this happens, it can get quite violent. I give them a "time out" by shutting them in separate rooms if they both participate. Liz seems to have learned to not lose her temper and fight back so she will not get a time out. Amy, on the other hand, is normally the growly puss who starts everything so she does get a time out. I make sure to tell her several times time out. I also use the leash, but rarely need to actually put it on her, she goes willingly.

Sometimes I can catch the warning signs early and either tell them no or be good girrrrl! Also try distracting them with a can with coins or something.
    Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend. ~Corey Ford

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

with my female & male I can give them toys an they will play nice she still growls at him but she likes it she will put it in his face an then growl at him she's weird but with bone I have to keep them separate they've never fought but they still growl an she runs from him as he is biting her legs. For you I would put them in different rooms when they have good chewy treat that will help a lot.

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I don't know anything about this kind of stuff just wanted to say I hope things get better!

mabel lou

Well I am sure since he has been locked up all the time this is all new to him. I almost positive that any treat to him is like very exciting and confusing at the same time. I can't imagine someone offering treats to an animal that they have locked up all the time in a cage but it could happen I guess. Maybe your girl just wants to let him know that she was first and although as wrong as it may seem it kind of makes sense. She probably is willing to share things on her terms and you either agree or not with her behavior. If not then you decide the terms of how it will be to have peace in your home among both of these dogs. Good luck and I hope things work out perfect for you.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Emmitt
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm I probably wouldn't give them treats together. Sounds like she was trying to be alpha and show him that she is seniority and she gets the treats.

Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

I can't offer any help, just have Otis here but I wish you the best and sounds like you have gotten great advice above.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha Bubbles
    Likes (Received)

Wow!! That sure was a scary moment!! It will take some time, but you can do this!! For now be vigilant and step in at the first sign of possessiveness. Make a loud noise like "NO!" or "ENOUGH" This will startle her and after a while she will associate the loud word with something uncomfortable for her. It takes commitment but you can do this. As someone said here, they are like children learning whats right and whats wrong.
    LisaMarie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads