How many "poops" a day are normal??

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey came home on Eukanuba large breed pup kibble. I have been slowly transitioning to Fromms puppy kibble. He eats 3/4 cup am amd pm, and slightly less at noon. His stool was a little soft, so I started adding pumpkin, and they are much better. HOW MANY POOPS A DAY IS NORMAL? Yesterday he woke me at 5:30 and went poop. Breakfast at 7, poop. Playtime, another poop at 10. lunch at 12:30, poop. 2 more poops throughout the afternoon, Dinner at 6ish, poop. Playtime, poop. 10pm, last potty before bed, poop. I woke him at 3 am to go out (yes, he is going from 10pm- 3am!) he peed and went rigth back to the crate. Heard him howling at 4 am, really bothered, so I took him back out, yep, you guessed it, POOP! He settled right back down and went back to sleep til 6, and we are starting all over again. His poop is very formed, and normal. Is this amount normal?? Should I transition a little faster to the Fromms? Right now I give him a little more than 2/3 of amount is Eukanuba, the rest is Fromms. Advice would be greatly appreciated!
PS he has adjusted to his crate very well now!! That;s why I knew with his howling at 4am, something was wrong, even though I know you shouldn't let them out when they cry. "Moooooommmmmmmy, I haaaaaveeee to gooooooooo!" Glad I listened!!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
How old is Bogey? I don't recall Remi ever pooping that much, even on Diamond. Remi is 5 months and now goes about 4 times a day. They tend to be very small poops though due to the limited diet.

EDIT, I feed Remi 1 cup 3 times a day: morning, afternoon, and night.

Last edited:

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Brutus normally goes 3-4 times a day, and he just turned 5 months last week. We feed one cup in the morning, and one cup at night with some kind of added topping for the night meal. It sounds like a little too much :poo:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I have heard it is age in months plus one hour. So, if he is 3 months old (add 1 hour) he should be able to hold it for 4 hours... If its true or not I dont know.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
When they are pups it's pretty much..food in..:poo: out. Jake still poos 4 sometimes 5 times a day. If his poo is solid..you re fine. If they get soft..it's often too much food. Jake got 1/2 cup 3 times a day until 6 months then I slowly he got him to 1 cup twice a day. He could never get to more than a cup at a time. His poo was just too soft.

Your transition to new food should be done in about 10-14 days total.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
That's not surprising, he is only 9 weeks old right? They are little pooping machines at that age, we found with Bacon that once we fully transitioned him he pooped less because the food was better. He is a year now and poops 3-5 times a day

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
As asmall puppy Amber pooped almost everytime we took her outside but as she got older she pooped less and now she poops twice a day; morning and night. She has always been on homemade dog food so there has never been much of a transition from puppy to adult. As they get older the poops will slow down a bit. Good luck with the puppy.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
When they are pups it's pretty much..food in..:poo: out. Jake still poos 4 sometimes 5 times a day. If his poo is solid..you re fine. If they get soft..it's often too much food. Jake got 1/2 cup 3 times a day until 6 months then I slowly he got him to 1 cup twice a day. He could never get to more than a cup at a time. His poo was just too soft.

Your transition to new food should be done in about 10-14 days total.

4 and 5 times a day?! Holy wow! Mine are all 2-3 times a day. Lol thankfully! It would be impossible to keep up if it was more!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i think sarah goes like 2 times a day sometimes 3 but shes is 6 now. puppies i think they go alot more.

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Is something wrong with Winston? LOL! He is a year and 1/2 he used to go twice now he only goes once a day. He is on a limited ingredient food though, I am sure that makes a difference!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
He's going to be pooping all the time because he's so young.... eat...poop; sleep...poop; play...poop; sleep again...poop again.

As the weeks go by you will see the poops reduce... but he'll still be peeing alllll day :) By the time he's a few months old, he'll probably go 2-3 times per day.

Herman is 9 months now, he's still pooping 2-3 times a day, and I was taking him out about 6 times.

Bogey just needs time to turn into a big boy - and that will be before you know it!!

Funny how as parents we talk freely about poop. What lives we have.

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Holy cow! I don't remember Seamus pooping that much either. We got him at 13 weeks and he went about 4-5 times a day back then and he had giarrdia at the time. We have never had to change his food, our breeder had him on puppy TOTW and we stuck with that. He is now 7.5 months old and goes like clock work. Once immediately when he wakes up, 2-3 hours after breakfast, maybe once in the afternoon then again after dinner on our walks. So somewhere between 3-4 times a day.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
I don't recall Ellie pooping that much, but she was a little :poo: factory at times. Now at 7 months, it's usually 2-3 times a day.

M

mabel lou

Mabel pooped a lot but it also was the food I was feeding her as well. Just because it may be a high quality food does not mean it is a poop controller. Seemed like I could fill a poop can very quickly and she was having a good size poop when she went a gazillion times a day lol. I have her on a LID after many different types of food and she goes now morning, afternoon and evening. All being formed so my can doesn't get filled up so quickly now. She is 8mths old now. I think it is just a matter of how their digestive system accepts the food, not every dogs system is going to accept it just because it is a great food that may be rated with a high number to. Also when your baby goes poop you said they are all formed but how much poop is he actually producing each time?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Princess Gracie goes twice a day because we make her go outside twice a day... she would (and has) gone once a day if we would let her.... she hates going outside and is reaaaallly good at holding it. lol
(she is 6 years old)

Most Reactions