Neutering Question

Eatapeach1965

Nov 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
I understand he can be neutered at 6 months.
But how does this effect his muscular/skeletal Development?
If they dont mature til 18 months will he fill out to his fullest potential if he's fixed so young?

thanks!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My vet doesn't like to fix male or female bullies tell they are around 9 months because he said with their growth it gives them time to develope any pallet issues so they can fix it all at one time. Also one thing you can do to help buld good muscle and bone is cottage cheese! I tried yogurt and giving little cubes of cheese and that gave her the runs but for some reason I saw a big change in how she is shaped and her hair turned so shiny so I swear by it!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
He may not be as thick as he would if left to mature and his legs might be longer. Opinions vary greatly. Bullys don't get to full maturity behavior and width wise until between 2 and 3 years old. I have one who made his final pop soon after his 3rd birthday. If you want a wide bully and you can wait, that's what you need to do. If he's around intact females or has behavior issues (like marking or not liking other males), that's a different story.

Last edited:

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Winston was between 9 and 10 months old when we had him neutered. It was a hard decision for us, but our vet recommended it to head off a lot of health issues. It also decreased his aggressiveness and attempts to be dominant over us. He seems to have developed just fine, although he is a slightly chubby little doggie.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
my little Diesel was a year old when he was neutered but I only waited that long because he had an undescended testicle and we wanted to see if it would drop but no luck so the vet had to do a little exploring to find it and remove it.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My boy just turned a year old and is filling out nicely. We had him neutered at 6 months with no problems. I also had some hesitancy, but had no intentions of breeding him. According the Cesar Millan, it is much better for dogs to be neutered before they start the urges. My pup has such a sweet personality. I didn't want to risk hormones and frustrations changing him and I certainly didn't want to deal with hiking every 2 steps. You will get many opinions regarding this topic, but it really comes down to what you feel is best for your boy and yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I fixed my male Dozer at 7 months. I have a male and female they are brother and sister, so pretty much had to do it right away, before they went into heat. My vet told me to do Blossom 1st as the chance of cancers increases every month after 6 months of age, and if she had gone into heat, then I would have had to wait 6 months before I could spay her. Then I would have had to keep my 2 separated, which would have been quite difficult since we are all in the same house. She told me it was okay to wait longer with Dozer, but I chose to fix him a week after I spayed Blossom, because he was starting to hump her, he just didn't know where, since he tried to hump her face all the time. Lol. He was also trying to hump my leg , so I wanted to fix him before he actually got the urge, and to make him less aggressive. I have noticed both of them are much calmer since fixing them, and Dozer no longer humps.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I had Zeus neutered last Friday at 10 1/2 months. I wanted to wait until he was 18 months, but he was maturing entirely too fast. My daughter is having Dexter neutered tomorrow and he is six months old, but needs to have his cherry eye fixed. He is already as big as Zeus and they are five months apart. His chest, neck, and head is huge! We use to call him the little one but not any more. They are 3 pounds apart and Dexter is 2 inches bigger in his chest. Dexter really needs to be neutered because he is much more aggressive than Zeus and she has kids. He is never aggressive with us or her kids but he is with strange kids. I think he is really being protective of her children, but I am hoping neutering him will calm him a little.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We have three males in our house ... a black lab mix called Bear, Daddy the Bulldog and Linus ... the bully-goat ... :ROFL:

Bear and Daddy came to us as 8-9 week old pups from a rescue and the agreement we signed was that they would be neutered as soon as possible. Linus we got from a very good friend. So Bear and Daddy were neutered as soon as they were old enough. With Linus we waited for as long as we could, and then it was obvious that his behaviour to all of the others was becoming a little more domineering and you could almost see the "testosterone" levels rising so we got him done sooner rather than later!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our bully vet recommends waiting until they are 18 months before you neuter them.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Also one thing you can do to help buld good muscle and bone is cottage cheese! I tried yogurt and giving little cubes of cheese and that gave her the runs but for some reason I saw a big change in how she is shaped and her hair turned so shiny so I swear by it!

Interesting.. Cani give cottage cheese/normal cheese to Meeko to help his bones grow stronger and fill out nicely.. Hes nearly 6 months old were not sure to get meeko neutered or not as so far hes calm and only attempted to hump my sisters husky once nothing else so until he missbehaves im not in a rush :-). Also when i was walking him the other day another doggy owner was saying it can change a dogs personality completely and not always for the best.. Is this true ? x

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We got Bacon neutered at 9 months, within a few weeks of it he definitely calmed down quite a bit. Also he had started to mark prior and that stopped as well. As far as cheese goes we give it to Bacon quite a bit as a treat he totally loves it, with the yogurt we froze it in ice cube trays and would use that as a special treat.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Both mine were done fairly early (on the recommendation of their vet). One of mine has more of a wrinkled face, and ended up with a serious case of Entropian, which without surgery is difficult to fix and can be very uncomfortable and turn serious as far as eye sight and health of the eye. I moved and my new vet mentioned to me that she never spays/neuters wrinkly face dogs (bulldogs, sharpeis, mastiffs), if there are no other issue involved, until they are 2 years old. That gives the skull the time to get to the size it is destined to be and reducing chances of excess skin (ie wrinkles) turning into the eye. Which is basically what the entropian is, the skin around the eye turning slightly in, enough for the fur to actually rub the eyeball and cause an ulcer. It also happens from the eyelashes turning into the eye. Not sure if it would have been avoided, but the vet did mention that to me.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.