Something is different with Thelma the rescue dog

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Omg I would never have thought that, awe I hope she is ok. She is the most laziest bully I have ever owned and it always makes me wonder if she is older because of how she is so laid back and sleep is number one then food/water and then getting a bath from Mabel or belly rubs from me but she is just so low key I thought that maybe is older than what the gentleman told me she was and she is maybe not 6yrs old but older except it made me think differently when the vet said her teeth were great for a girl who is 6yrs old. She is not one for outside and prefers to be in after doing her business to lay around some more. That was a huge red flag to me when seeing her not want to come in and yet stay outside longer. Very unusual, and so far she has kept the canned food down so we will see how the day progresses for her. I will keep all of you informed on my girl and thank you for all the prayers and comments.

Yes, please keep us posted. I really want to know what is going on with Thelma, and let us know what the vet and e-ray show. Until then, I'm continuing to pray for you and her.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Just adding my 2 cents, but I would NOT give her anything to "bind" her up until you know that she does not have an obstruction. I had a bullmastiff that ate half of a pig carcass (long story) and had a mild obstruction from the bones. His symptoms were loose, mucus and straining to go, with not much coming out. He had no vomiting (but that is VERY common with obstructions), and then the small bones started passing- causing a lot of blood and mucous! A trip to the emergency vet, and the belly xray was UNBELIEVABLE. His tummy was FULL of bones! So, she put him on 6 small meals a day with to keep his intestines moving, but not with alot of volume. She thought he would pass the bones on his own, as they looked small. But, she said if he started vomiting, I had to get him back right away for surgical removal of the bones. He passed them all on his own, but it took DAYS of passing them! I would have her checked first thing in the morning. I would feed her very small, frequent meals to keep the intestines moving. But stop everything if she starts vomiting and call an emergency vet. Good luck!!

OP
M

mabel lou

I did not feed her the normal dry LID food today and have only fed her less than a 1/4 of a canned dog food low residue for gestational given from the vet when first giving Thelma food for digestive issues when getting her. Because of her having straight water diarrhea and not knowing what kind of food she had been on up until this point. That with her meds helped Thelm. But yes I agree that she should not have anything else today. She is just sitting around as though nothing is wrong with her right now. I did however check on emergency vet located out of town, spoke with them about Thelm and they could not tell me anything over the phone and I understand that but they also could not tell me how much xrays would cost or any other procedure would cost such as possibly having to cath Thelm or anything. So basically I am looking at an amount that is up in the air until they decide what to do and do it and then charge me. Wow I can't put myself into a situation such as with not knowing if I am even going to have enough money to pay for this when they can't even tell me the cost of anything. So I am just going to have to observe her for now and hope that she will be ok until I go to my vet tomorrow morning which will be able to tell me before hand of an amount to do things for Thelma. I ask that you not judge me for my decision to wait but I am limited on what I can spend on her especially since an amount has not been even quoted to me yet. That is said respectfully to. I will let you know how things are and thank you to everyone .

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Whenever my Dozer has swallowed stuff like a sock, my vet has always given me fibre wet food to feed him. I give him 1 or 2 Tablespoons every hour or two for about 3 days , it helps to move things along the digestive tract, and then he usually passes the item about a week later. Hope everything is okay , keep us posted.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I think you are doing the right thing. She is acting normal and I am sure she will be fine until the morning when she can see her vet. What a shame the emergency vet cannot even give you a ballpark figure on costs. Obviously, they are afraid that you are shopping around to get the best price, but in reality, you are just concerned about Thelma and what it would cost to see her cared for! What nonsense!

I am sorry you have to go through this. I am sure Thelma will be just fine. Oh, and, no one is judging you. We are just worried about what we would do if we were in your shoes.

OP
M

mabel lou

Oh no I wasn't saying that anyone was judging me and I apoligize if it came out that way. I know everybody is concerned for her and just trying to help with advice. What I was merely saying was please do not judge me if I cannot take her to the vet today because I did call and I just couldnb't get an amount and I didn't want anyone to judge me and say I am not doing my part, I did not at all today feel as though anyone was judging me so again I apologize if it may have sounded as though I was speaking in a way of feeling judged by anyone on here I was just asking people not to judge me because if for some reason I couldn't get her to ER VET today. I am really doing my part. But I left for a little while today and and came home and she still has kept the 1/4 canned food down that was given to her this morning (the canned food that the vet had given me for the digestive system for Thelma) She did not go urinate in her cage or poop. I feel like I am going crazy because shes doing the same thing and wanted to stay outside for a long time so I came in and just stood at the big picture window watching her and from what I seen there was nothing but she kicks the grass and or dirt as though she has done something like she always does and has been doing this for two days now but now I am wondering if I missed something when she does this. I am almost positive that I haven't missed anything but why would a dog kick the grass and dirt unless they have done something. I took a flash light out with me to check and seen nothing. I wiped her vagina to see if I could see blood and found nothing but the paper towel did have moisture from me wiping it. Her butt did not have anything when I wiped it. She is sitting up while mabel is having a barking attack to her because she won't get up and do something.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well just get her to the vet asap in the morning and keep us updated on her. we are concerned with her as you are and seems like you are watching her very well. we will wait to hear word from the vet in the morning.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online