Something is different with Thelma the rescue dog

M

mabel lou

As some of you are aware that I rescued a EBD , I was told she was 6 yrs old clearly needed to see a vet due to many medical issues that just observing her I could tell and this was my reason for the rescue of her because she needed to be seen by a vet ASAP. So with the help of our vet and about 500.00 dollars later and overall health check up and put on a many things to help get her on the road to recovery she seemed to do just as well as my girl. The routine and food and water and bathing and just love that she was getting from me and the medications turned things around for her and has each and every day for her since being with me but she has only been here a couple of mths. She is so sweet and she just reminds me of an old gal and lays around most of the time but will play with mabel a little.
So yesterday I got up early as I normally do and I let both girls out of their cages. Well Thelma had urinated in her cage and I thought well maybe because she doesn't know how to let me know that she needs to go other then going to the door this could be the reason why and she was in her cage so it made sense to me. I let both girls outside which I go with them each and every time they go potty because I do poop duty and don't want the poop in my yard. Now Thelma runs out to quickly go potty which was unusual because she not a active girl like I said. Mabel goes her way to go potty. Mabel does her business and I am watching Thelma and seems to have to go but I am not sure now if she is needing to go poop or because she is bent over as though it is poop she needs to go and she is trying and tryin and trying. So I thought well maybe because she urinated in the cage she does not have to go pee thus being the reason as to why she has not urinated. But why would she not be going poop? Now they go outside many times a day and I always see and check the poop but this time I had none from her. She ate breakfast which consist of her normal dog food natural balance LID and after a little while I again let them out to go potty. Did not see her urinate nor poop but again she continues as though she is pushing to go poop and she will do this for a long time and I am seeing nothing. Ok so maybe she just doesn't have to go poop or she is constipated I am thinking. So I give her so pumpkin . Still nothing. She ate last night her dinner and the pumpkin must have helped her relieve some because in her cage their was a little loose poop but not a lot from a girl her size. Which I am use to very large pieces of poop from her. So I clean her cage up and take them out in the middle of the night and she is doing same thing again, acting as though she needs to go poop. I am baffled. Today she woke up and her cage was clean with no urine or poop. I let both girls out and she quickly ran again so I wasn't able to see if she peed or not because she sometimes will run while peeing at the same time this I know but I seen nothing. Now she is acting the same way as though she needs to go poop and is not coming in when mabel wants in which is very unusual. Normally they both are at the door at same time when one goes the other will follow. So I stand at the door and I say Thelm Thelm you ok? And she looks at me and trots up to me and so I open the door up and she acts like she is going to come in and then turns around and goes back to the yard and then throws up all her food from the night before dinner. She is acting like she is sad. And she turned away from the food when I put it out for mabel this morning and hasn't wanted to drink anything so far.
Our vets are closed on Sundays and I am going to take her in to her vet in the morning ASAP but I was wondering if anybody here has ever experienced this before. Again I do not know what her history is and can only say what it has been since I have gotten her. She also appears to me as though she may have the chills which I have a heater going in the area so she stays warm at all times.
Any input would be nice and yes I know all of you may say take her immediately to the vet so I will say it again that our vets are closed on Sundays and on Monday I will take her asap. Thank you and god bless

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like a possible obstruction- anything missing in the house? Likely when you go to the vet they will want to do an X-ray. Ask them to do it with barium so they can see cloth. Keep going with the canned pumpkin if she will eat it- maybe try to get her to eat bland diet. Use broth or ice cubes to get her to get some fluids. Poor sweet Thelma. You may want to find an emergency vet in your area, she sounds very uncomfortable.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Poor girl! Do you think there is a chance she might have eaten something she shouldn't have? It might be cause an obstruction. Is there an emergency vet you can take her to?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=6198]mabel lou[/MENTION] I'm thinking exactly what my friends above have said, some sort of blockage. take her temp too. should be around 101 f

OP
M

mabel lou

Now of the two girls Thelma does not eat anything unless it is food. Like I said she reminds me of an old gal and she doesn't get interested in anything but belly rubs or squeaky toys. She just now jumped up and began barking with mabel for reason of thinking someone was here. I am going to continue giving her pumpkin and will even give her some broth for liquids if she is not drinking anything. I have called our vets and even looked on the internet to find one open today and none are open. She does not seem to be in pain and is not making any grunting noises when trying to go poop but the fact that she is in potty mode has me puzzled. I am going to ask for an xray yes and also have blood work done again an see if something has changed since coming to my home. Because I do not know her history this kind of right now seems like a hit and miss. She is up barking right now again lol which is good and she likes the heater on her. But I will keep all of you informed about her and any an all changes. I am going to see if possibly she would eat some plain yogurt on a small amount of food since she wasn't able to keep last nights dinner down and throwing it up today. I thought it was strange that today she threw up but it was her dinner from last night letting me know that it was not digested in her system or that some of it did but not all of it.

OP
M

mabel lou

Also I have done a very thorough job of poop duty and so I will monitor her closely to get her poop if any and should she go I will certainly be taking that in to have tested as well. So will all of you just pray that nothing is wrong with Thelm Thelm and if their is that god give me direction on where to go with her. I want her to live and live she has so far with me but not knowing her history has me worried. Pray that I will be able to meet the needs of Thelm Thelm while making a good solid decision based on what the vet says. She is sleeping right now so I am going to wake her up and see if I can get her to maybe eat somethiing small. I sometimes question her age because she is definitely not like mabel who is only 8mths old but the vet even said her teeth were so nice and she was very surprised at how nice for a girl who is 6.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Prayers are on the way for you and Thelma . You are a very good mum :pray:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hoping and praying that Thelma is okay. Maybe she just has a bug or something and it will hopefully pass, or she could have swallowed something, and hopefully she passes it if she did. If she was constipated, the pumpkin should have helped, and she would have gone poop by now. Or maybe she has a urinary tract infection.

OP
M

mabel lou

I gave her some canned food that I get from my vet for the stomach and she was eating it right off of the spoon as I knew she would so she went to the door and I let both out. She immediately went into poop mode and squatting to pee but her butt keeps squeezing as though she needs to poop and nothing comes out and then I see her squatting again and she did dribble some URINE at that time but back to the poop mode position again. I finally got her to come in because she will stay outside doing this for as long as I will let her I am guessing but even when I get her to come in she appears to me as though really she don't want to come in and wants to stay outside longer to go poop. So anyways I did take her temp and it is normal. She laid right there as I placed the thermometor inside her with not a sound or anything. She really is such a sweet girl and knows I love her dearly and she lets me do anything to her so I knew this was going to be easy. I pulled it out and normally one would see poop but hers was just a spot of brown almost clean. Now she is having gas and it is not any different smelling than mabels. So with her temp being 100.0 and she has eaten a low residue canned food made for the digestive system all I can do now is just watch her. Thanks everybody and your right I am a good mom for her and no matter what today or tomorrow brings for Thelm Thelm I do know she knows she is loved dearly and as I choke back the tears of the unknown and uncertainty for her I am so ever thankful to have her today in my life. She is doing her favorite thing and that is sitting while mabel gives her the daily bath.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Almost sounds like she's got some diarrhea. If you have some rice to make with some chicken broth later in the day may help solid things up a bit. Try to relax with her, exhale mama, we don't want her to freak out or feel uncomfortable.

OP
M

mabel lou

Wouldn't something be coming out if she had diarrhea? I mean I am seeing not anything and as said in previous comment she is in a pooping posture and squeezing her butt as though she has to go but nothing is coming out. When I initially got her and immediately took her to the vet she had just water diarrhea then but I knew this when getting her as her butt had the streak going down it which was visually clear to see she had watery diarrhea badly but I have had many things done to her and since then her poops are normal poops just small in length but large in size. So she has several pieces for me to pick up. I am going to watch her closely as I do everyday because I am a fanatic anyways about my girls simply because of such heartache from previous EBDs so this kind of makes me more like a hawk because these two are my first two who have actually just had the normal things go wrong while being with me until yesterday when Thelma began acting strange. Maybe she does have a urinary infection and seeing her squatt as she is doing and pushing is making me think it is pooping she wants to do when maybe it is urinating that she is really having a problem with and is sqeazing to push her urine out but I know for a fact that she did urinate in her cage yesterday morning which was her first sign to me that something was different because she doesn't ever do that. But why would she throw up her dinner from last night today? And wouldn't it have looked a little more digested instead of just eaten food. I checked it all out and it is just food from last night. Now I am really confused because if she has a bug and only a bug are these normal symptoms or are they symptoms of urinary tract infection or if it is a bowel obstruction wouldn't she have already thrown her canned food up that she had today? Whew I need to step back cause now I am all over the place with ?s and symptoms. I will take any and all input about flue bugs and symptoms, UTI and symptoms or bowl obstructions and symptoms.
I apologize about previous comment as I needed to clarify that she did dribble but not poop it was urine only but just a dribble.

Last edited:

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
I just went through a scare with Aunt Clara last night and have been reading up every since. I agree that it sounds like a possible obstruction in the lower bowel. Some dogs have stuff in their digestive tract for a long, long time, so she could have ingested something long before she found you.

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

OP
M

mabel lou

Omg I would never have thought that, awe I hope she is ok. She is the most laziest bully I have ever owned and it always makes me wonder if she is older because of how she is so laid back and sleep is number one then food/water and then getting a bath from Mabel or belly rubs from me but she is just so low key I thought that maybe is older than what the gentleman told me she was and she is maybe not 6yrs old but older except it made me think differently when the vet said her teeth were great for a girl who is 6yrs old. She is not one for outside and prefers to be in after doing her business to lay around some more. That was a huge red flag to me when seeing her not want to come in and yet stay outside longer. Very unusual, and so far she has kept the canned food down so we will see how the day progresses for her. I will keep all of you informed on my girl and thank you for all the prayers and comments.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Just reading all your comments, it really does seem like there could be an obstruction. Usually if they can't poop, and also can't keep anything down then it is often a case of them eating something they shouldn't have. And as somebody has already said it is amazing how long something can remain inside them after they have eaten it!! I have heard of socks being removed that were eaten months previously.

I would keep careful watch ... and at the same time google emergency vets in your area. At least then you will be fully prepared if something happens and you cant wait until tomorrow morning.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.