Crate size.....

Eatapeach1965

Nov 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
We are getting a up next week...
We see crates that have dividers, so I wanted to get a big crate and use the divider that comes with it.
The question is , what size crate does an adult BD use?I know they should have room enough to turn around. And When he's little I'll use the divider

Thanks

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
We have an 8 week old pup. I bought a 36" crate and put the partition in. Well, our first night, he pitched a FIT, even though he had room to move around, I had a nice soft blanket on the floor of the crate, and 2 stuffed animals.He just would not settle down. At 3 am, I remembered that his pen at the breeders was much bigger, so I decided to take my chance and take the partition out. I knew that would mean he may pee in the crate, so left the blanket down on the front half, and just had the crate floor on the back half, so if he peed, it would be easy to clean. Well, guess what? He slept on the back half!! I think he was too hot and confined with the partition! No accidents in the crate! So, others may advise to use the partition, but every dog is different. My breeder has 36" crates for her adult females and they can stand in them and turn around. Hope this helps! good luck!!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
36" should be good. Try Amazon. their prices are way better than any store or online pet supply I've seen

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I also have 36 inch, for my two. In the beginning I had a double crate, but as they got older , Blossom wouldn't let her brother sleep, she would lay on his head, bite his ears, so then I put the divider in between them , but Blossom would push on it all the time, so I bought 2 separate crates 36 inches each, and they are to most of the time together, but when they sleep or when we are out, they are crated separately and it works better for them. They are very different personalities, Dozer just likes to sleep and chill, he's very quiet , and sweet, loves to cuddle, and is the most laid back dog ever. Blossom is my crazy girl, she constantly runs, jumps, pounces on her brother, and wants to play constantly, she will also whine until you let her sleep beside you, she's such a suck, yet tough at the same time, she is definetly the dominate one, and I don't think Dozerveven cares lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We buy our females the 36" and our male the 48", we want him to have plenty of room. The partition works ewll too when they are young.

OP
E

Eatapeach1965

Nov 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Thank you,,
i just realized I posted in the wrong part of the forum. I was reading about food and spaced out when I had the question

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
Our pup is 8 weeks old and I use a 36"with the divider, but he does better without the divider. I ordered mine from ebay and the seller didn't have a 36" and asked if I would take a 42". I thought sure since they are more expensive but when I got it I thought it was too big so I sent it back and bought a 36" off of another ebayer.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I got two 42" crates. Bea started out in a kitty crate but Bo came with his big crate at rescue so he got to "go big" right away. LOL

Bo and Sushi - April 2011.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we have the Midwest collapsible 42 inch... we can fold it up and take it where ever we need to -- another room in the house a trip or where ever

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Ellie's in a 42" long crate. It's probably going to be PLENTY big enough for Ellie, but she inherited it from our last Bully that was an Olde English. She was taller, longer, and (right now anyway) about twice the weight as Ellie. No sense in buying a new one. We're still using the divider in it though, so her space is cut in half.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have a 36' for Lola and she is 6.5 months weighs around 40lbs and she has plunty f room to grow!

OP
E

Eatapeach1965

Nov 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
We are pricing the 36" ers right now. We like the folding, two door models so far..
suggestions?
Thank you in advance

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We are pricing the 36" ers right now. We like the folding, two door models so far..
suggestions?
Thank you in advance

We've got a folding 2 door model (front and side door) made by KONG, same company as the toys, that we really like. The doors actually slide up and fold/lay flat onto the top of the crate. It's kind of a space saver because the doors aren't swinging out into open floor space. We found it at Pestmart. It seems to be 50/50 on reviews, but we love it and most of the negative reviews seem to be from owners of large breed dogs that are able to push the doors off of the track. It's worked well for us though.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I think if you are going to continue to crate your adult bully; then get the biggest you can find/afford.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
suggestions?
Thank you in advance
We have the same one for Bacon, it's got the front door and the side door right? He is a year old and about 65 lbs and is fine in there. We used the divider when he was a puppy then again when he went through his regression at about 5 months. He is only in his crate at night to sleep, we have a separate day pen setup for him that involves a lot more space and indoor/outdoor access via a doggy door.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.