Need Help with Papers

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
So it looks like I might have a dilemma on hand here and not sure if it can be fixed.

When I bought Cammie the guy showed me the papers of the mom and dad but I didn't get a close look at them or take down any info from them. I know I'm a newbie! So we sign this little hand written contract between us then he tells me that I will receive the temp registration forms in the mail within 30 days. A few days goes by and I ask him if he will send info on the parents ie registration #'s and pics of his papers. He says ok but never send and I never hear from him again. I'm wondering if he ever really had papers or if they were real. They looked professional as the others I've seen.

I called AKC and gave them all the details and as much info on him as I could but nothing came up but they also said its possible it could be under someone else in his family. Ie parent or sibling.

This sucks!

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
The litter usually gets registered before the puppies go home. Each puppy gets a number so you can register it when you take him home. I got these papers with the dog. One of mine is akc, the other is bca. Can't you contact the breeder? They both came with their lineage.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Its really not important unless you plan to show your dog or breed. Without experience I do not recommend you try either. Its really just bragging rights, although Cammie is certainly one to brag about! She is beautiful.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I'm guessing this person you got Cammie from isn't local to you? I'm not sure how all breeders do the paperwork but from my experience you get a copy of your contract and your registration papers when you pick up your puppy ... l'm not positive but maybe [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] can help.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
So it looks like I might have a dilemma on hand here and not sure if it can be fixed.

When I bought Cammie the guy showed me the papers of the mom and dad but I didn't get a close look at them or take down any info from them. I know I'm a newbie! So we sign this little hand written contract between us then he tells me that I will receive the temp registration forms in the mail within 30 days. A few days goes by and I ask him if he will send info on the parents ie registration #'s and pics of his papers. He says ok but never send and I never hear from him again. I'm wondering if he ever really had papers or if they were real. They looked professional as the others I've seen.

I called AKC and gave them all the details and as much info on him as I could but nothing came up but they also said its possible it could be under someone else in his family. Ie parent or sibling.

This sucks!

You're in Florida. Is the breeder? If he is, there's a Pet Lemon Law here. Some other states have them too. Message me if you need more info and I'll send you a link to it. If he's in Florida, he should have given you a copy of that too. At any rate, give him his 30 days. He may have been slow in filing the paperwork and waiting on it to show up.

OP
usmc03grunt

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
You're in Florida. Is the breeder? If he is, there's a Pet Lemon Law here. Some other states have them too. Message me if you need more info and I'll send you a link to it. If he's in Florida, he should have given you a copy of that too. At any rate, give him his 30 days. He may have been slow in filing the paperwork and waiting on it to show up.

Awesome thanks. I'll look into that link.

OP
usmc03grunt

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
Its really not important unless you plan to show your dog or breed. Without experience I do not recommend you try either. Its really just bragging rights, although Cammie is certainly one to brag about! She is beautiful.

I know it's not that big of a deal but having her lineage would be something to be proud of.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Awesome thanks. I'll look into that link.

Florida Statutes Section 828.29. It doesn't specifically cover your situation but sometimes mentioning it puts the fear of the Department of Agriculture into a breeder. Again, it's only good if the breeder is in state.

M

mabel lou

I believe that if he or she says you have papers on your puppy then they should stand by it. Maybe they first needed to send in sire and dam papers before registering the litter. Some people forget or believe they have time still and since he did show you some type of paper that looked professional it could have been the parents papers showing akc on them just not registered through akc yet to him which would mean that he couldn't register the litter yet if at that point he still had not taken the steps in registering the dam and sire to his name. So it could just be that he finally registered the parents and now once he gets the akc papers on them back will then register the litter. I could be completely wrong on this to but it is just a thought.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
It took a while for me to get Hermans. The breeder wanted to do his registration which was nice of her - so after months of bothering her because I wanted it for his 2012 scrapbook (LOL), she finally did it. She was waiting to hear back from owners of his litter mates. So I never received anything until I got his actual registration since the breeder took care of registering him for me.

However with other dogs, I received a form to fill out and send with payment to AKC to register myself as the owner. Now, if I remember correctly, I got those forms along with the puppies. Mailed them in with payment and got their registrations.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My breeder and myself register the litter when the puppies are 4 weeks old, that way each pup already has the reg.# and you the buyer have a year to register in your name. If you don't, the breeder still has the AKC reg under themselves. Which is no big deal. I like to have lots of professional paper work copies and signatures. It protects you the buyer. Also a guarantee and paper work from the vet. It makes for a very good relationship between buyer and seller. this is just how me and my breeder have worked in the past and will in the future.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He sounds like a puppy mill to me. We have a contract, and also a health guarantee signed by our vet, plus we give them the AKC papers and show them how to fill them out and what they need to do to register their pup. Plus we are available anytime to answer questions they may have about our pups. We want to stay in contact with our pup parents to keep up with their new pup and see them grow into beautiful bullies, plus love to get pics of them as they grow. Most reputable breeders will do the same thing.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I agree a good breeder stands by his/her pups. We always (since Mimi) look To find a good breeder to find our pups. Then again you never know what you are going to get. Mimi probably came from a puppy mill. Several thousand $ in eye surgeries. Mila came from major champions and turned out to be deaf. The breeder refunded part of the purchase price and probably sold her deaf sister (she didn't realize her sister was deaf until we told her Mila was) at a discount. Btw Mila is one of the sweetest happiest dogs on the planet. Always looking at us for direction. Rudy's breeder has contacted us many times and visited our house to see how he is doing. Don't worry if the breeder is no responsive or you don't get papers. The papers won't make you happy but I can pretty much guarantee that cute little bulldog pup will.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.