Can I bulldog play too much?

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I have a 7 month old ebd that does go to dogie day care one time a week for 4 hours or so to play with his friends but today a friend of mine came over and brought his dog with him. ( little terrier kind ) well my condo has a/c ofcourse but these 2 dogs were playing for about a half an hour and Buddy ( my bulldog) was panting heavily after, for about 2 hours. I know they cannot do heat as in outdoors and Buddy kept drinking water and after about a half hour I decided to give him a time out and I put him in his crate because he was panting so hard and I could feel his heart beating a mile a minute. I was just wondering if a bulldog who plays too long can injure himself from over play? Thanks everyone

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Yes definitely. they can choke on their phlegm

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
The short answer is yes they probably can.. You did the right thing but putting him up. Sometimes they don't have a lick of sense and are too bull-headed to stop when they should. I don't know where your AC was set but you might need to knowck it down to about 70 if you know he's going to play hard. I have often seen it said that 80 and up is too hot. I live in Tallahassee and I've have and have had a bunch of bullies over the years and I know they don't voluntarily get active outside until it's in the 60s. By 75 they're spending more time chillin' than anything else. They can get plenty rowdy in what we call cold weather though.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I took Remi to 2 dog parks over the course of 2 days, and he started vomiting and having an upset tummy. I called the emergency vet and they told me to let him settle down some, and he totally got better. Sometimes they can work themselves up too much, so try to make them take breaks if they are vomiting or panting during play time. Sometimes they can drink too much water.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes , they can definetely overplay , especially if its really hot. In the summer, I would take my two to the park only in the early mornings, and in the evenings. I would take them down to the trail and let them run by the river, there was always a shaded area. I always watch them to make sure they don't pant too much, especially because I have two, and they can get pretty rough with each other. I make sure I bring water with me for them, but am also careful that they don't drink too much, and then run around , I'm afraid of them getting bloat if they drink too much in the heat. I would rather take them out more often for shorter trips when it's hot , and go for a longer walk in the evening when it's cooler. I also notice in the house when they are play fighting for too long, they will pant pretty heavy, and I will stop them.

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Buddy panted for 2 hours yesterday in his crate after I put him on a time out. I was amazed at how tired he became playing with this little dog. The other little dog wasn't phased by this but Buddys was panting so hard I decided he needed to stop.. I keep it about 74 degrees in here. sometimes 76 at the most but he still got tired chasing this little dog around.. I knew this couldn't be good for him. somehow.. Thanks everyone.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Yep. When Bo's cousin, Olivia the Boxer, comes over, he requires time outs. He's in LOVE with her and cannot give her five minutes of her own time and is RELENTLESS in his desire to chase / be chased / chew on face flaps / etc. The only time Olly is ever tired out, is after playing with Bo.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Absolutely.... most do not know they are a 'bulldog' and think they have the body of a lab.... you have to watch them and give them breaks because they do not know to do it themslves nor will they since most are also obsessive over something, you may also want to drop you indoor temp to 72. That is where we keep ours in the summer and it works well for them

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You did the right thing. Short bursts seems to be about right for a bully. Of course a lot of them don't realize this and would continue to play relentlessly until they collapsed!!

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
Xena will play with her brothers and sisters, and I had the same fear as you. The longest I've let her play is 45 mins. then its back in the crate for a bit of time out. She usually falls asleep soon after she is in there :babysleep:. I figure she is just re-charging her batteries.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Im sure i read somewhere if they get too phlemmy and vomit etc to squirt lemon juice (the one in the little lemon shaped bottles) into their mouth to separate the phlem.. Please correct me if wrong i dont want to give out incorrect info x

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Yes, bullies can because of their issues breathing. Tilly gets "timeouts" when she gets too excited, though usually she'll take a break on her own when she's had enough.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.