hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I forgot to tell you all!

So my little genius heart monitor, Matilda, is doing so so good with her training! I told you all about how a few weeks she actually beat me and alerted me a few minutes before I even knew! Well, the obedience part of training is also going sooo well!

I traveled with her from CA to Texas (and BACK) for Thanksgiving and it was her first service dog experience with that many things going on (AND PEOPLE). I was super nervous about it (considering she's only 5 months old!!) but our trainer thought it'd be a great chance to see how she does in a real crazy public situation.

So, I slapped on her service vest, put treaties in my bag (just in case..), and PRAYED she'd behave herself.

Well, there were thousands of people around, travelling for the holiday, and what did my bully baby do? Wiggle? Run up to everyone? Pee?

No, my bully heeled, walked quietly, and obeyed ALL OF MY HAND SIGNALS. As in, I didn't need to say commands (we trained her with both). In fact, we had no issues with her whatsoever - she was PERFECTLY behaved, even on the plane (where she sat in my lap).

Instead of her running up to people, I couldn't keep people OFF of her! :rolleyes: I tried to control the people petting her, because I don't want her to think she can play while wearing "The Vest" but it was so difficult! We literally had people stalk us in the airport. One man even chased me down as I was BOARDING THE PLANE to ask to pet her.

Anyway, I am just such a proud momma! I can BARELY get her to listen to me at home, but in public, she's perfect! Unbelievable! <3 Who knew Matilda would be perfect and the people would misbehave? hahaha

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hey, next time y'all are in Texas,come on down to Central TX and visit me
& Brutus...our door is always open
:welcome:

Congratulations on a job well done with Matilda, she makes all bullies proud! :2thumbs:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
:clap2: :goodjob: WTG Matilda! :bravo: That is so awesome!!! :clap2:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
What a wonderful story!!! I'm sure you've put a whole bunch of effort into her training -- and wow, has it paid off!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awesome, absolutely awesome... she is a great little bully and so happy to hear she is doing so well with you on all her work

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Way to go Matilda!!! And do you have a command for her to "visit" for a second? The guide dog at my school knows that when her owner says go visit it's time to go say hello and then when she says back to work, it's time...

I know they aren't the SAME kind of service dog but just a thought.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Thanks everyone!!

Way to go Matilda!!! And do you have a command for her to "visit" for a second? The guide dog at my school knows that when her owner says go visit it's time to go say hello and then when she says back to work, it's time...

I know they aren't the SAME kind of service dog but just a thought.

Yes, we're working on it, but it is really hard to explain the difference to her! She is allowed to visit if I give permission and she's being submissive (laying/sitting down) and still paying attention to me. It's too hard to keep everyone off of her otherwise!

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Maybe have some cards made up and hand them out to people that teach the importance of service dogs and their purpose.

I get my feelings hurt sometimes and I remember one particular time I was a kid and ran to pet the puppy in the mall or wherever...and the guy just started yelling at me couldn't I see the vest? The dog is training! Don't touch him! Don't even look at him! Etc... And while I don't think you would EVER tell at anyone for wanting to love on her it might be helpful to you and her to be able to say, "actually Matilda is working right now, ad she can't be petted because it takes her attention off her job" here's a card with more info on service dogs and what they do" or something... Idk! That one guy just got me I guess, lol!

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
That's awesome, I like reading your updates... Can you attach a pic as well. Great work!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Of course! Can't really see the vest, but this was in the airport. So cute!

rarhiq.jpg

I would never be rude to someone for wanting to pet her (I mean, really, how can you resist?) but it's hard to explain to Tilly the difference. I'm looking into getting her a better vest (hers doesn't fit her very well... they weren't made for bullies hahaha!) and sew on a "please don't pet me" patch as well as a medical patch, so maybe that will help!

Also, the painted nails were a result of letting Boyfriend take Tilly to get her nails trimmed. Nothing says professional like hot pink toes! hahahaha

The other thing that was too funny (and such a bully thing to do), when we were seated waiting to board, I had Matilda go into a "down stay" which means lay down and don't move. Because she is a bully, she did not lay politely while trying to stay out of the way. OH no. She sat next to me (as she's supposed to do) but took up the entire walkway, spreading all her legs out, and resting her head on the guy across from me's baggage on the floor! I apologized and made her move, but everyone around us laughed so hard. It was so funny because she did exactly as she was told... just had to do it in a bully way! hahaha

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Lol that's awesome, when they go down they sure go down. I knew nothing of bullies before Kain and constantly learning and laughing. Oh yeah and pushing the limits the little bugger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I forgot to tell you all!

So my little genius heart monitor, Matilda, is doing so so good with her training! I told you all about how a few weeks she actually beat me and alerted me a few minutes before I even knew! Well, the obedience part of training is also going sooo well!

I traveled with her from CA to Texas (and BACK) for Thanksgiving and it was her first service dog experience with that many things going on (AND PEOPLE). I was super nervous about it (considering she's only 5 months old!!) but our trainer thought it'd be a great chance to see how she does in a real crazy public situation.

So, I slapped on her service vest, put treaties in my bag (just in case..), and PRAYED she'd behave herself.

Well, there were thousands of people around, travelling for the holiday, and what did my bully baby do? Wiggle? Run up to everyone? Pee?

No, my bully heeled, walked quietly, and obeyed ALL OF MY HAND SIGNALS. As in, I didn't need to say commands (we trained her with both). In fact, we had no issues with her whatsoever - she was PERFECTLY behaved, even on the plane (where she sat in my lap).

Instead of her running up to people, I couldn't keep people OFF of her! :rolleyes: I tried to control the people petting her, because I don't want her to think she can play while wearing "The Vest" but it was so difficult! We literally had people stalk us in the airport. One man even chased me down as I was BOARDING THE PLANE to ask to pet her.

Anyway, I am just such a proud momma! I can BARELY get her to listen to me at home, but in public, she's perfect! Unbelievable! <3 Who knew Matilda would be perfect and the people would misbehave? hahaha

That is such wonderful news!! You know I was just thinking about you and Matilda the other day. I was sick to my stomach on Friday. Herman saw me and went into his crate (making sure he wasnt in trouble I guess), but he kept his eye on me. He wouldnt leave my side. Whenever I'd sit down he's climb in the chair next to me - and made sure he got close enough (meaning he would plop right down on my stomach) LOL. Anyway, that made me think of Matilda and how you said she's learning so quickly!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
That is such wonderful news!! You know I was just thinking about you and Matilda the other day. I was sick to my stomach on Friday. Herman saw me and went into his crate (making sure he wasnt in trouble I guess), but he kept his eye on me. He wouldnt leave my side. Whenever I'd sit down he's climb in the chair next to me - and made sure he got close enough (meaning he would plop right down on my stomach) LOL. Anyway, that made me think of Matilda and how you said she's learning so quickly!

Awww, well I hope you're feeling better! It's amazing to see how much our babies care about us!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.