Smelly Gas!?!

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Tess is over a year old and has the worst gas. Is there anything I can do for her or give her?? We feed her Fromm since she was 4 months old and has done well with that and we don't give her any dog snacks. Just carrots, apples and bananas.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well, she is getting a good food, so it could be one the the treats. Cut out one at a time to see which one it the culprit.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
First off, Tess is a real beauty. Very cute. I think all bulldogs have a delightful aroma from time to time. If she otherwise doesn't seem to be in distress, probably do what we do. Sit back and enjoy...

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Has she always had gas? If so, it might be the food (even though you're happy with it). If she hasn't, then as the others have said, eliminate treats one by one.

Also, I've found that sometimes it isn't directly food or treats but, say, a doggie toothpaste or water additive that can cause gas. And, I'm pretty sure that last winter, whatever de-icer my condo put around the property in lieu of road salt, caused Chance to smell like rotting onions. :p (Usually, he is the least gassy thing in our house.) In that case, I doubled my efforts to wipe his paws clean after every trip outside so he didn't have to clean his feet himself (like the cat-dog he is).

Basically, if they can ingest it, even if it isn't "food", it can contribute to gas (in my humble opinion).

Your girl is super adorable! :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[h=4]Diesel has a sensitive system and I've used this product from The Honest Kitchen and it helped:
perfect-form.jpg

Pet Nutrition Supplements[/h]adj., n. Correct or Precise, Consistence, True to Type, Unchanging, Constant Shape or Formation.
A supplement to support the normal healthy functioning of your dog or cat’s digestive tract. This pet nutrition supplement combats gas, facilitates regularity, firms up loose stools, soothes and protects the GI Tract.
Perfect Form is ideal for pets with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Colitis or occasional digestive upset (diarrhea or vomiting). We recommend using this supplement in conjunction with a grain-free diet for best results.
[h=4]Ingredients:[/h]Papaya leaf, plantain, slippery elm, pectin, organic pumpkin seed, fennel and papain.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Every Bully is different. Even tho you are feeding one of the best that doesnt mean it's the best for her. What I would do is change the flavor within the Fromm line of foods. They are all interchangeable without doing a slow transition. This may take several changes to find one that is less odiferous for her. Don't hurry; give each trial a good month or more. If you dont find one that works for her within the Fromm line....try a different high quality brand.

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Thanks everyone for great advice!! She's always been a little gassy but lately it has been much. There's time we thought she poo in her crate and nope just gas 😳

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
The gas can be a tough thing to overcome. All of the dogs I've ever had have had at least a little gas, but then again, what living, breathing being doesn't? Clara's was so bad no matter what we fed her there for a while that she wasn't allowed to sleep in our room. No kidding, it would wake my husband from a dead sleep, lol. I started giving her a tablespoon of plain canned pumpkin every evening (we free feed, so not in her food), and it worked like magic. She still toots, of course, but it's not nearly as rancid an odor.

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Which Fromm is she on. Is it grain free? That could be part of the problem if not.
Also giving her some extra probiotic in the form of yogurt or acidopohllis pearls could help settle her digestion.

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Which Fromm is she on. Is it grain free? That could be part of the problem if not.
Also giving her some extra probiotic in the form of yogurt or acidopohllis pearls could help settle her digestion.

Tess is eating Fromm Beef Frittata Veg and she spoiled is also gets with that 1/4 Fromm Beef can food.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Tess is eating Fromm Beef Frittata Veg and she spoiled is also gets with that 1/4 Fromm Beef can food.

Bingo! Now we're talking!! It's most likely the canned food. Anytime I give that as a topper (any brand) it's like a egg bomb went off! We just all laugh about it. Since we don't give it all the time I guess when it does happen It doesn't bother me so much. Even when we had a mama and her pups, We used to give a lot of canned food on top. Mama and puppies both had horrible gas!!! We stopped doing that and it helped --all of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Bingo! Now we're talking!! It's most likely the canned food. Anytime I give that as a topper (any brand) it's like a egg bomb went off! We just all laugh about it. Since we don't give it all the time I guess when it does happen It doesn't bother me so much. Even when we had a mama and her pups, We used to give a lot of canned food on top. Mama and puppies both had horrible gas!!! We stopped doing that and it helped --all of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Wow! Nice to know. No more of that. Thanks 😊

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.