Scariest thing happened yesterday

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
So yesterday, Henry was eating dry kibble for the 2nd time without being soaked. I added a bit of pumpkin to eat and mixed it up. Well about halfway through it he started walking towards me gagging a bit and leaned one way then the other and just fell over to his side with his arms/legs straight out. He may have passed out for sec. As soon as he hit the floor he threw up a few pieces of kibble and saliva and got back up and continued to finish his food. My heart hit the floor.

Questions...
Should i continue to soak his food? I did this morning, i'm scared right now not too.
Do you think it was just the pumpkin that was sticking the food together, and to just take that out of the equation until after he eats his dry kibble.

He's on IAMS puppy which i desperately want to switch. The local pet food store only carries FROMM life stages and not the puppy formula. (i may just order it) I originally was possibly going to try life stages but with him choking on the smaller kibble, i'm not sure i want to risk it.

He's still having soft runny stools on the IAMS only cured by a bit of pumpkin but that only seems to firm up a couple of his poops per day (he's only eating between 1-1.5 cups/day split between 3 meals.

He is 11 weeks old and i've never loved something as much as i love him so i apologize if i'm being overly concerned

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh I know how frightening that is. Jake did something a lot like that because he woofed down his food. I'm not sure if Henry does this too, but it's a very common problem. We solved this by getting a slow feed ball and putting it his bowl.

They do appear to pass out when they can't breathe. Often Bully's do this while vomiting too.

As far as the food..Jake was put on Fromm All stages at 10 weeks. He came off Iams puppy food and directly (with slow transition) to Surf n Turf. We did change to Beef Fritatta because we figured out Jake and chicken are NOT good together! All Stage food is formulated for Puppies thru Adults. if I were in your shoes, I would make the switch to Fromm now. Just do it slowly giving his tummy time to adapt.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Oh I know how frightening that is. Jake did something a lot like that because he woofed down his food. I'm not sure if Henry does this too, but it's a very common problem. We solved this by getting a slow feed ball and putting it his bowl.

They do appear to pass out when they can't breathe. Often Bully's do this while vomiting too.

As far as the food..Jake was put on Fromm All stages at 10 weeks. He came off Iams puppy food and directly (with slow transition) to Surf n Turf. We did change to Beef Fritatta because we figured out Jake and chicken are NOT good together! All Stage food is formulated for Puppies thru Adults. if I were in your shoes, I would make the switch to Fromm now. Just do it slowly giving his tummy time to adapt.

Thank you for your advice and putting my mind at ease. I'm gonna pick him up some of the fromm life stages today. I think im going to go with the duck and sweet potato. And yes he does sortof woof down his food. He doesn't really chew other than for maybe 2 bites then down the hatch. Should i still soak it for another week or so?

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you for your advice and putting my mind at ease. I'm gonna pick him up some of the fromm life stages today. I think im going to go with the duck and sweet potato. And yes he does sortof woof down his food. He doesn't really chew other than for maybe 2 bites then down the hatch. Should i still soak it for another week or so?

We love our sweet Bully's so much, we all react like you did. It's a learning curve and believe ME...we have all been in your shoes! That's why we love this place so much. To be able to realize you are normal! :hmm: Just for the record..not ALL of us are normal! :ROFL:

I am not familiar with the Duck and sweet potatoe. Just make sure it's an All Stage Formula. I'm pretty sure it is...as you make the switch, keep adding a bit of pumpkin and if possible get him a slow feed bowl OR ball. We found the Easy Pacer Ball on Amazon. It was hard to find a slow feed bowl in stainless, so we went the ball route.
The woofing down of food can lead to Bloat. That's pretty serious and we have lost a Bully here on the forum to Bloat.
Make the switch by starting with 1/4 new and 3/4 old for 3 or 4 days. Then go to 1/2 and 1/2 for 3 or 4 days. Then 3/4 new and 1/4 old for same amount of days. Finally ALL new! Hopefully this will hlp his soft poo too. Good Luck!

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
How scary indeed! You have great advice already so that is good. As for the food switch, if finding fromm is a challenge have it ordered. I absolutely LOVE having it delivered, using petflow. It really only takes 2-3 days to receive the order once it is placed. Free shipping. I am an online shopping junky tho. lol!!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
The food sticking to the pumpkin could have contributed, try giving the pumpkin on a tablespoon, rather than in the bowl.

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
How scary indeed! You have great advice already so that is good. As for the food switch, if finding fromm is a challenge have it ordered. I absolutely LOVE having it delivered, using petflow. It really only takes 2-3 days to receive the order once it is placed. Free shipping. I am an online shopping junky tho. lol! =QUOTE]

actually @kevi204 if you are close to the area of where there warehouse is in (nj/ny area one of them the other is in vegas if im not mistaken ) its even faster . I live in Woodbridge, VA and my shipment takes about 24 hours sometime even less. its an awesoem place to buy food.

Last edited:
OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
How scary indeed! You have great advice already so that is good. As for the food switch, if finding fromm is a challenge have it ordered. I absolutely LOVE having it delivered, using petflow. It really only takes 2-3 days to receive the order once it is placed. Free shipping. I am an online shopping junky tho. lol! =QUOTE]

actually @kevi204 if you are close to the area of where there warehouse is in (nj/ny area one of them the other is in vegas if im not mistaken ) its even faster . I live in Woodbridge, VA and my shipment takes about 24 hours sometime even less. its an awesoem place to buy food.

Oh Good, ty. I was originally going to get the puppy formula but i'm going to go with the Fromm all life stages, Either Duck and sweet potato or Beef Fratitta. They sell it at a local dog grooming store. They just don't stock the puppy formula.

Is there an added benefit to going grain free, or would the Duck/Sweet potato be okay.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I also have a bully that inhales her food , Blossom doesn't chew, she wolfs it down, she has never choked on it, but I have always put water in their food. My Bulldozer, has a severe under bite , and his teeth don't meet together, so e eats slower , and I putvwatervon his food to makevitva little softer for him. I also find that my two don't drink a lot of water during the day, they drink after they've played hard, or after a walk, but I leave a bowl of fresh water out at all times, and they don't really drink a lot, so I figure if I add water to their food, they get extra water that way. We switched our two from a Puppy Formula to Fromms Beef Fritata when they were 7 months old. We also give them plain unsweetened yogurt, twice a week, we either put banana or fresh cut up strawberries in it, they love this treat, we also give them cut up apples sometimes, a hard boiled egg once a week, I give them cheese strings as a treat, as well as I buy the soft chew wellness treats, they are made from duck and turkey, my Blossom is allergic to chicken, corn, grains, salmon, and ?? We don't know what else, she is just very sensitive, she gets ears, skin, eyes, and chin, then we have to give her a Benadryl , and then figure out what caused the reaction. We also give them salmon oil in their food, for Dozer, I had to stop giving it to Blossom, she had a reaction, so I'm going to use up the oil I bought on Dozer, and try Blossom on either Cod Liver Oil, it coconut oil, and hopefully she can tolerate e one of those, I Like them to have the Omegas. We also put Appe Cider Vinegar in their drinking water, it is good for their breath, for immune system, kills bacteria, and very good for and joints. Theyb also get a cranberry pill daily to avoid Urinary tract infections , more for my female, but I figure it can't hurt to give it to Dozer too. All the supplements are natural, and things that are good for us humans, so they are also safe for the dogs.

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Oh Good, ty. I was originally going to get the puppy formula but i'm going to go with the Fromm all life stages, Either Duck and sweet potato or Beef Fratitta. They sell it at a local dog grooming store. They just don't stock the puppy formula.

Is there an added benefit to going grain free, or would the Duck/Sweet potato be okay.

I can only tell you that grain free is prob the best to go with bullies since grain is a common allergy in bullies. As far as duck/sweet potatoe thast something Henry is going to let you know if he likes or not some bullies refuse to eat stuff they dont like the taste they are just like kids!! lol

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hi, I also have a bully that inhales her food , Blossom doesn't chew, she wolfs it down, she has never choked on it, but I have always put water in their food. My Bulldozer, has a severe under bite , and his teeth don't meet together, so e eats slower , and I putvwatervon his food to makevitva little softer for him. I also find that my two don't drink a lot of water during the day, they drink after they've played hard, or after a walk, but I leave a bowl of fresh water out at all times, and they don't really drink a lot, so I figure if I add water to their food, they get extra water that way. We switched our two from a Puppy Formula to Fromms Beef Fritata when they were 7 months old. We also give them plain unsweetened yogurt, twice a week, we either put banana or fresh cut up strawberries in it, they love this treat, we also give them cut up apples sometimes, a hard boiled egg once a week, I give them cheese strings as a treat, as well as I buy the soft chew wellness treats, they are made from duck and turkey, my Blossom is allergic to chicken, corn, grains, salmon, and ?? We don't know what else, she is just very sensitive, she gets ears, skin, eyes, and chin, then we have to give her a Benadryl , and then figure out what caused the reaction. We also give them salmon oil in their food, for Dozer, I had to stop giving it to Blossom, she had a reaction, so I'm going to use up the oil I bought on Dozer, and try Blossom on either Cod Liver Oil, it coconut oil, and hopefully she can tolerate e one of those, I Like them to have the Omegas. We also put Appe Cider Vinegar in their drinking water, it is good for their breath, for immune system, kills bacteria, and very good for and joints. Theyb also get a cranberry pill daily to avoid Urinary tract infections , more for my female, but I figure it can't hurt to give it to Dozer too. All the supplements are natural, and things that are good for us humans, so they are also safe for the dogs.

Is this the same apple cider vinegar you get from the grocery store? and how much do you put Im willing to try this to keep Ellie healthy.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes it is . I put a Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water. I buy it at Nutrition House which is a natural health store, here in Canada, I don't know if you have it where you live, but you can find it at any health food store or GNC store. I buy the Bragg organic one, it's $9.99 for a 32 oz bottle. You have to keep it in the fridge once it's opened. I also use it myself in a bottled water once a day, and you can use it on your salad. It has so many health benefits for yourself too. It's all natural so can't hurt, I don't think giving more would anything, it might just be too bitter, and then they wouldn't drink it. My two don't mind drinking the water, they drink it like normal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 107

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Yes it is . I put a Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water. I buy it at Nutrition House which is a natural health store, here in Canada, I don't know if you have it where you live, but you can find it at any health food store or GNC store. I buy the Bragg organic one, it's $9.99 for a 32 oz bottle. You have to keep it in the fridge once it's opened. I also use it myself in a bottled water once a day, and you can use it on your salad. It has so many health benefits for yourself too. It's all natural so can't hurt, I don't think giving more would anything, it might just be too bitter, and then they wouldn't drink it. My two don't mind drinking the water, they drink it like normal.

sweet thanks for the info Ima try this.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.