Scariest thing happened yesterday

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Dexter used to do that, and he threw up every day. I mean, two or 3 times some days. I was terrified to swap him to anything because he was on prescription diet and I didn't want him to have kidney issues again. I decided to try and see anyway, and swap back if he started having issues again.

So off to petsmart armed with my iPhone and the dog food ratings I found the castor and Pollux organic ultramix. And he loves it! And I don't remember the last time he threw up. I sent them an email b/c they're a us company telling them how much we loved the food & they sent us some coupons too

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I would continue to wet the food... I also feed my fromm beef fritatta and I switched her after joining this forum and having problems with her soft stool. she loves her food but she loves anything that I give her! you can also find plates (food bowls) that will slow down your bully while they eat... that can help. I just gave up on mine... she inhales anything i give her.,.. food, treats.... I wonder if she ever tasted anything in her life since she never chews on it!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:welcome3: to EBN. I'm so glad to hear Henry is ok. A dog chocking is the quite scary. I've experienced it myself where one of other dogs collaspaed when eating his kibble too (he's passed now). A couple of weeks ago Jack, our non-bully, coughed up about 1/2 cup of dog food and it went all over the floor because he woofed it down. I always sit in the vicinity when my dogs are eating, have for years for this very reason.

Please read these two articles when you get a chance. It could save Henry’s life one day.

The Dangers When Dogs Swallow Foreign Objects!

Learn CPR: It Could Save Your Dog's Life!

Also glad to see you’ve you’ll be changing foods. :2thumbs: I order mine online.

shongboy

Nov 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Champ
When Champ was a lil puppy he would do this as well with certain treats. he would dry heave and then all of sudden stiffen up and fall over. Scared the crap out of me the first few times it happened.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
For fast eaters, the best we found was either a 12 part cupcake pan and we put a little food in each section (worked well for a puppy) or a large cake pan, and their food spreed out over it. it slows them down while eating. we have a slow feed ball for Hershey now... and I think it just aggrivates his chin acne more than anything else :( we tried the slow feed bowl...but it just chewed his face all up :(

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo did that once as a puppy. Scared the crap out of me. I still wet his food; make a "warm gravy" with canned Wellness and hot water. In my mind, it helps them slide down his gulping gullet. I also like to use foods that offer smaller sized kibble.

M

mabel lou

I found that when putting water and or any kind of liquids it does help with the "making sure they are hydrated" however it also helped in adding to the chin pimples and redness around their mouths. I didn't like it so I stopped it. But I also believe in using a water sippy bottle and both of my girls now use it. I have another one on order so they both have their own (my son borrowed the other one for his dog and he to drinks from a sippy) These are fabulous when it comes to keeping the wrinkles dry because we all know that thtey gulp water down and it gets into the wrinkles always. I have learned also that the cake pan is a great way feeding them or a large pot but shorter with the ball in it has certainly slowed them down. Now they both just eat normal without gulping down food. I have a 6yr old and she now drinks from the sippy but I am not sure how to upload a video of this so here is a pic of Mabel drinking from it. Sorry it is sideways IMG_0662[1].jpg

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Thanks for the tips everyone and sharing your stories. I went to a local grooming store here near where i live. They carry all the Fromm life stages recipes except for the puppy formula. With the help of the store owner, i decided to go with the Pork and Apple sauce. She also recommended chicken but chicken is boring to me, lol. She thought anything else might be too "rich" for him at his age. It's kinda weird but i was excited to get him the "pork and applesauce". It was only a couple bucks more than if i ordered it online and they exchange/refund you if it doesn't agree with him. Since Henry has only been eating a heaping 1/3 cup at each meal. I decided to start him out with 1/3rd of the IAMS with 2 pinches of the FROMM, I will try to slowly transition him over the next 10 days. On another good note, his stool is already looking better.

-and i like the cupcake pan idea. I think i;m going to go with the "stainless steel Ball" to place in the bowl. I'm going to keep wetting his food for at least another week or so before i try it "dry" again.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Im so glad everything worked out! I have Lola on fromm and we love it! I have seen a lot of people switch to fromm on here and it almost always ends up being better. Let us know how it goes!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Hi, I also have a bully that inhales her food , Blossom doesn't chew, she wolfs it down, she has never choked on it, but I have always put water in their food. My Bulldozer, has a severe under bite , and his teeth don't meet together, so e eats slower , and I putvwatervon his food to makevitva little softer for him. I also find that my two don't drink a lot of water during the day, they drink after they've played hard, or after a walk, but I leave a bowl of fresh water out at all times, and they don't really drink a lot, so I figure if I add water to their food, they get extra water that way. We switched our two from a Puppy Formula to Fromms Beef Fritata when they were 7 months old. We also give them plain unsweetened yogurt, twice a week, we either put banana or fresh cut up strawberries in it, they love this treat, we also give them cut up apples sometimes, a hard boiled egg once a week, I give them cheese strings as a treat, as well as I buy the soft chew wellness treats, they are made from duck and turkey, my Blossom is allergic to chicken, corn, grains, salmon, and ?? We don't know what else, she is just very sensitive, she gets ears, skin, eyes, and chin, then we have to give her a Benadryl , and then figure out what caused the reaction. We also give them salmon oil in their food, for Dozer, I had to stop giving it to Blossom, she had a reaction, so I'm going to use up the oil I bought on Dozer, and try Blossom on either Cod Liver Oil, it coconut oil, and hopefully she can tolerate e one of those, I Like them to have the Omegas. We also put Appe Cider Vinegar in their drinking water, it is good for their breath, for immune system, kills bacteria, and very good for and joints. Theyb also get a cranberry pill daily to avoid Urinary tract infections , more for my female, but I figure it can't hurt to give it to Dozer too. All the supplements are natural, and things that are good for us humans, so they are also safe for the dogs.
Wow, I feel like we are twins. Except for the salmon we do exactly the same things with our Bullies! Right down to the drinking water! Really good affirmation for me that I am doing the right things for Miss T. Thanks.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Update: The last 2 days, i've finally been able to pick up Henry's :poo: with a plastic bag, hooray!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update: The last 2 days, i've finally been able to pick up Henry's :poo: with a plastic bag, hooray!

great news! Did you ever think you'd be this happy about :poo:

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Mila and Rudy were switched to regular (adult) food soon after we brought them home. No water, just a Tsp of cottage cheese. Our vet told us he doesn't eat old people food and young dogs don't need puppy food. I cheated and fed puppy dry food until about 12 weeks.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.