Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scariest thing happened yesterday

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Scariest thing happened yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, I also have a bully that inhales her food , Blossom doesn't chew, she wolfs it down, she has never choked on it, but I have always put water in their food. My Bulldozer, has a severe under bite , and his teeth don't meet together, so e eats slower , and I putvwatervon his food to makevitva little softer for him. I also find that my two don't drink a lot of water during the day, they drink after they've played hard, or after a walk, but I leave a bowl of fresh water out at all times, and they don't really drink a lot, so I figure if I add water to their food, they get extra water that way. We switched our two from a Puppy Formula to Fromms Beef Fritata when they were 7 months old. We also give them plain unsweetened yogurt, twice a week, we either put banana or fresh cut up strawberries in it, they love this treat, we also give them cut up apples sometimes, a hard boiled egg once a week, I give them cheese strings as a treat, as well as I buy the soft chew wellness treats, they are made from duck and turkey, my Blossom is allergic to chicken, corn, grains, salmon, and ?? We don't know what else, she is just very sensitive, she gets ears, skin, eyes, and chin, then we have to give her a Benadryl , and then figure out what caused the reaction. We also give them salmon oil in their food, for Dozer, I had to stop giving it to Blossom, she had a reaction, so I'm going to use up the oil I bought on Dozer, and try Blossom on either Cod Liver Oil, it coconut oil, and hopefully she can tolerate e one of those, I Like them to have the Omegas. We also put Appe Cider Vinegar in their drinking water, it is good for their breath, for immune system, kills bacteria, and very good for and joints. Theyb also get a cranberry pill daily to avoid Urinary tract infections , more for my female, but I figure it can't hurt to give it to Dozer too. All the supplements are natural, and things that are good for us humans, so they are also safe for the dogs.
    Is this the same apple cider vinegar you get from the grocery store? and how much do you put Im willing to try this to keep Ellie healthy.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Yes it is . I put a Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water. I buy it at Nutrition House which is a natural health store, here in Canada, I don't know if you have it where you live, but you can find it at any health food store or GNC store. I buy the Bragg organic one, it's $9.99 for a 32 oz bottle. You have to keep it in the fridge once it's opened. I also use it myself in a bottled water once a day, and you can use it on your salad. It has so many health benefits for yourself too. It's all natural so can't hurt, I don't think giving more would anything, it might just be too bitter, and then they wouldn't drink it. My two don't mind drinking the water, they drink it like normal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Yes it is . I put a Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water. I buy it at Nutrition House which is a natural health store, here in Canada, I don't know if you have it where you live, but you can find it at any health food store or GNC store. I buy the Bragg organic one, it's $9.99 for a 32 oz bottle. You have to keep it in the fridge once it's opened. I also use it myself in a bottled water once a day, and you can use it on your salad. It has so many health benefits for yourself too. It's all natural so can't hurt, I don't think giving more would anything, it might just be too bitter, and then they wouldn't drink it. My two don't mind drinking the water, they drink it like normal.
    sweet thanks for the info Ima try this.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter
    Likes (Received)

Dexter used to do that, and he threw up every day. I mean, two or 3 times some days. I was terrified to swap him to anything because he was on prescription diet and I didn't want him to have kidney issues again. I decided to try and see anyway, and swap back if he started having issues again.

So off to petsmart armed with my iPhone and the dog food ratings I found the castor and Pollux organic ultramix. And he loves it! And I don't remember the last time he threw up. I sent them an email b/c they're a us company telling them how much we loved the food & they sent us some coupons too

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

I would continue to wet the food... I also feed my fromm beef fritatta and I switched her after joining this forum and having problems with her soft stool. she loves her food but she loves anything that I give her! you can also find plates (food bowls) that will slow down your bully while they eat... that can help. I just gave up on mine... she inhales anything i give her.,.. food, treats.... I wonder if she ever tasted anything in her life since she never chews on it!

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

to EBN. I'm so glad to hear Henry is ok. A dog chocking is the quite scary. I've experienced it myself where one of other dogs collaspaed when eating his kibble too (he's passed now). A couple of weeks ago Jack, our non-bully, coughed up about 1/2 cup of dog food and it went all over the floor because he woofed it down. I always sit in the vicinity when my dogs are eating, have for years for this very reason.

Please read these two articles when you get a chance. It could save Henry’s life one day.

The Dangers When Dogs Swallow Foreign Objects!

Learn CPR: It Could Save Your Dog's Life!

Also glad to see you’ve you’ll be changing foods. I order mine online.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Bulldog(s) Names
    Champ
    Likes (Received)

When Champ was a lil puppy he would do this as well with certain treats. he would dry heave and then all of sudden stiffen up and fall over. Scared the crap out of me the first few times it happened.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Oh how scary that would be, I would be beside myself

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

For fast eaters, the best we found was either a 12 part cupcake pan and we put a little food in each section (worked well for a puppy) or a large cake pan, and their food spreed out over it. it slows them down while eating. we have a slow feed ball for Hershey now... and I think it just aggrivates his chin acne more than anything else we tried the slow feed bowl...but it just chewed his face all up

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Bo did that once as a puppy. Scared the crap out of me. I still wet his food; make a "warm gravy" with canned Wellness and hot water. In my mind, it helps them slide down his gulping gullet. I also like to use foods that offer smaller sized kibble.

mabel lou

I found that when putting water and or any kind of liquids it does help with the "making sure they are hydrated" however it also helped in adding to the chin pimples and redness around their mouths. I didn't like it so I stopped it. But I also believe in using a water sippy bottle and both of my girls now use it. I have another one on order so they both have their own (my son borrowed the other one for his dog and he to drinks from a sippy) These are fabulous when it comes to keeping the wrinkles dry because we all know that thtey gulp water down and it gets into the wrinkles always. I have learned also that the cake pan is a great way feeding them or a large pot but shorter with the ball in it has certainly slowed them down. Now they both just eat normal without gulping down food. I have a 6yr old and she now drinks from the sippy but I am not sure how to upload a video of this so here is a pic of Mabel drinking from it. Sorry it is sideways-img_0662-1-jpg

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the tips everyone and sharing your stories. I went to a local grooming store here near where i live. They carry all the Fromm life stages recipes except for the puppy formula. With the help of the store owner, i decided to go with the Pork and Apple sauce. She also recommended chicken but chicken is boring to me, lol. She thought anything else might be too "rich" for him at his age. It's kinda weird but i was excited to get him the "pork and applesauce". It was only a couple bucks more than if i ordered it online and they exchange/refund you if it doesn't agree with him. Since Henry has only been eating a heaping 1/3 cup at each meal. I decided to start him out with 1/3rd of the IAMS with 2 pinches of the FROMM, I will try to slowly transition him over the next 10 days. On another good note, his stool is already looking better.

-and i like the cupcake pan idea. I think i;m going to go with the "stainless steel Ball" to place in the bowl. I'm going to keep wetting his food for at least another week or so before i try it "dry" again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads