Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pet Insurance

Searching around i found about 90% of pet insurances didnt cover ongoing illnesses such as cancers. SKin conditions etc. One even stated they didnt cover death by illness over the age of 6.. Absolutly ridiculous! U really do have to read every last letter in the smallest of prints. On average it was about £40 a month so instead me and my partner have a bank account for Meeko and put a lump of money to start it and then transfer £40 a month (sometimes more) into an account. Hopefully we wont need to use it then we have a lump of savings we werent expecting (which u dont have with pet insurance.. If you dont end up using it or only for the smallest of problems uve spent a lot of money on nothing and dont get it back) .. I expect a lot of people to disagree woth this comment but we worked it out to be more beneficial to us.
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Dee J's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
    Likes (Received)

@thesspa I actually called my vet to make an appointment for Brutus (shots for December and microchip) and asked their opinion on it. They sent me an email with a break down of the experiences they have had, and reccommended Trupanion as well. My only concern with them is the monthly cost going up after one year...... Have you had that problem? We are on VPI right now with care guard so I want to go get all all his normal stuff done, and switch. They also reccomended Pet Plan, but they wanted $108.00 just for Brutus alone. I think that's a little to pricey for one baby. If I were going to pay that much I would just do what @ncra6761 is doing
    The boy that stole my heart forever, Brutus Mayhem

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ncra6761 View Post
    On average it was about £40 a month so instead me and my partner have a bank account for Meeko and put a lump of money to start it and then transfer £40 a month (sometimes more) into an account. Hopefully we wont need to use it then we have a lump of savings we werent expecting (which u dont have with pet insurance.. If you dont end up using it or only for the smallest of problems uve spent a lot of money on nothing and dont get it back) .. I expect a lot of people to disagree woth this comment but we worked it out to be more beneficial to us.
    Actually, I think it's a very good idea. I guess the only problem is if something very expensive happened but for the average thing it would probably cover most vet bills.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
    Likes (Received)

I have had Trupanion on both of my dogs. They do cover congenital defects and I also am covered for hip dysplasia. I have bevr had a problem with claims and they are always paid within 2 weeks. They do not have a cap on coverage. It does not cover vaccinations, spay, neuter but it does cover cherry eye and just about everything else.

Real Name
    Alison
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk
    Likes (Received)

We have the Banfield Puppy Plus for Chunk, the first year is so expensive with 'fixing', shots, and lets be honest puppys LOVE to get into things that arn't good for them, eat things they shouldn't, and generally cause mayhem... so with free office visits (for when I'm not sure if whatver he ate will hurt him) and discounts on all the services it's a good deal. And we love our office, all the girls know my pup and fight over who gets to see him, so I know that they'll take care of my little guy

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
    Likes (Received)

I am seriously diggin Trupanion now with their quick pay thing. The last two times I have had to use them, I didn't even have to be reimbursed, they reimbursed my vet directly and I walked out only paying my deductible. In a situation where a surgery could be thousands not having to pay it upfront is a huge stress relief.
    I am a master at planking......

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Dee J's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
    Likes (Received)

@Gunny B I asked my vet if they did that, and they said no. However it looks like Trupanion pays faster then what VPI is doing w/ us right now. I wish these places would just set up direct deposit *wishful thinking*
    The boy that stole my heart forever, Brutus Mayhem

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

I have been trying to get my reimbursement for Izzy's cherry eye since November with VPI and they keep dropping my claim asking for more medical records.... I already faxed them everything you can possibly imagine but they keep on dragging the process .... I'm very frustrated with them.

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

I live with 2 porkers!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee J View Post
    @thesspa I actually called my vet to make an appointment for Brutus (shots for December and microchip) and asked their opinion on it. They sent me an email with a break down of the experiences they have had, and reccommended Trupanion as well. My only concern with them is the monthly cost going up after one year...... Have you had that problem? We are on VPI right now with care guard so I want to go get all all his normal stuff done, and switch. They also reccomended Pet Plan, but they wanted $108.00 just for Brutus alone. I think that's a little to pricey for one baby. If I were going to pay that much I would just do what @ncra6761 is doing
    We didn't get pet insurance for Bacon until about 6 months ago (he just turned 1 year in December). Sorry I don't have an answer to your question.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

I have Pet Plan for Aubie, got it the first day we got her at 10 weeks old. We have the Bronze plan, with a $200 deductible and 100% reimbursement after that for $48 a month. I think if we went to a $100 deductible it would be $68 a month. They seem to have pretty good coverage. They boast about their lifetime coverage for chronic illnesses, etc.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Dee J. It is a new program that they are starting to roll out, I expect eventually most vets will do it. Gunny is still in the vet hospital for the night and I have already received a statement saying that Trupanion has paid the vet already their portion. Yippee.

Although I have not sure we will continue pet insurance through the duration of his life, I felt the first year(s) would be important.

So far they have paid $150+ for his dermodex and $350 for his Cherry Eye surgery and $50 for his ear infection meds, so in the 5 months we have had it (paid for 4) it has more than paid for itself.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Oh, we pay $57 a month for 90% coverage and $0 deductible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads