Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champs really testing my patience!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Champ
    Likes (Received)

Default Champs really testing my patience!

Need some advice guys. It seems like ever since it started to get colder out Champ refuses to go #2 outside. No matter how long i walk him around the yard, give him treats and praise, he'd rather poop in the house. Its getting really frustrating . I can walk him around the yard for 15min and nothing and then within 5min of being inside he'll sneak away and we'll realize where he was. He always does it in the same 2 spots in the house too. He rarely has any accidents of peeing inside but for whatever reason he just won't poop outside. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Champs really testing my patience!

[QUOTE=shongboy;272641]Need some advice guys. It seems like ever since it started to get colder out Champ refuses to go #2 outside. No matter how long i walk him around the yard, give him treats and praise, he'd rather poop in the house. Its getting really frustrating . I can walk him around the yard for 15min and nothing and then within 5min of being inside [/ ]

sounds like you just have to out wait him when you have him outside, just keep walking him until he goes then give him praise for going so he understands what he is getting the treat and praise for. It takes patience but you can do it, just bundle up and keep walking until he does his poop.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

Can you wait a bit longer before taking him out and then trigger it easier with less time outside? We did every 2 hrs needed or not for the repetition and consistency that he has to go out there so I never had any troubles at all but I would increase the times going out as well as a walk until he goes like mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I would probably go out side a little later too and walk around a bit longer and when he goes outside praise him, it just takes time and patience.

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

You said he always goes in the same 2 spots, are they spots that you are willing to keep potty (or poop pads in his case i guess) on those spots? Since we moved to IL, we don't have a fence and it's way too much hassle to put one in with Navy housing and all so we kinda started not going out as often. I didn't mean to do that on purpose, I just always look outside to see if anyone is out there or any dogs since they go bananas and will run straight to them if someone is outside. Turns out that they both started going to the same spot in the basement if they needed to go and we didn't realize that they went to the door. Which is perfectly fine by me since they chose the basement and there's no carpet or anything down there. It is a finished basement that we have turned into a TV/game room with a bathroom and a closet but it has crappy tile that's easy to clean up. My other question if that's not something you're willing to do is, is there any way to block off those two "special spots" of his, keep an eye on him after you come back in the house and when you catch him trying to get to the blocked off areas run him right back outside to see if he'll go then? Am I making any sense? I hope I'm not just rambling on to you, it's kinda early so my brain isn't fully awake yet.

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My suggestion is to watch him like a hawk; notice the signs. As soon as he gets into the #2 position, clap your hands, say a firm and loud No, and rush him outside. When he goes, lots of praise. This was the only thing that really had an "aha" moment for Remi. The bells on the door is also quite handy.

We had a similar issue where we'd take him out every 2 hours and he would still manage to not go outside, but go in the house. If Remi doesn't go in the first 5-10 minutes, it simply wasn't going to happen.

Hope this is helpful. Hang in there; it's a lot of work, but will totally pay off in a matter of days. The trick at that point is consistency.
    Last edited by ModernFemme; 11-30-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I would say to watch him closely when he comes back in and catch him in the act. That way you can stop him and put him outside!!

mabel lou

How about taking him out like you do and if he doesn't have to go then walk him in and place him in his cage for a few minutes and then repeat the process again since he has to go once you come back in the house. He is learning to go elsewhere so I would just put him in a area of where he either won't go because it is his sleeping area or he will hold it maybe so you can take him out again. He will learn the routine that you have set in place for him

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

You have gotten some great advice so far! Is there anything in those two spots that is holding his scent?? He is getting used to it so in his mind he thinks its ok. I would try to remove the scent if you can. I know with Winston if he did go in the house we immediately picked him up and brought him outside and told him this is where you go to the bathroom. After two or three times he understood that when he had to go he needed to sit by the door. They are very smart these bullies! It just takes time & lots of patience. Good luck!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

My female is lie that too, my male Dozer will go pee and pooh every time, and right away, usually in the same corner of the yard. He has his spot. Blossom, will go pee every time, and right away, but it takes her forever to go pooh. She has to sniff around forever, and sometimes after 15 minutes she still won't go. I bring her back in crate her for a few minutes, and either look for the signs she needs to go, or I take her back out, she needs to walk , sniff, walk, and find her sniffy spot, then she circles until she finally goes, it is very frustrating when you have to get ready for work , but I also have my husband here in the morning, as he works nights, so he can try when he gets home. We've had a couple of accidents, but for the most part she will eventually go. When she does we praise her and give her a treat. She doesn't go as often as Dozer does, he usually goes every time he goes out, and she may go only 2 times a day. Good luck, it's just trial and error and finding what their rhythms and sweet spots are.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

I have no help to render on this one. Amber was 8 weeks old in the winter when we were house breaking her and honestly I don't think she cares about the cold. Now, rain is another story but the cold isn't a problem. She goes out and I get my heavy slippers on, a good coat/sweater, a hot cup of coco or chicken broth and stand out there and wait on her. My problem is getting her to come back in after she does her business; I am freezing and she thinks its play time......silly bully!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

No help from here either. Our Bacon have an issue with the rain. She is freaked out by it. She would beg to come in even if I stand out there I the rain with her. She never had an accident for the last 2.5 months but when it rains she won't go outside. She goes inside one time while I was carrying her. I tried keeping her on a leash but then she would just run around all freaked out.
    So far it's only happened twice hopefully she gets over it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads