Champs really testing my patience!

shongboy

Nov 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Champ
Need some advice guys. It seems like ever since it started to get colder out Champ refuses to go #2 outside. No matter how long i walk him around the yard, give him treats and praise, he'd rather poop in the house. Its getting really frustrating :mad:. I can walk him around the yard for 15min and nothing and then within 5min of being inside he'll sneak away and we'll realize where he was. He always does it in the same 2 spots in the house too. He rarely has any accidents of peeing inside but for whatever reason he just won't poop outside. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Need some advice guys. It seems like ever since it started to get colder out Champ refuses to go #2 outside. No matter how long i walk him around the yard, give him treats and praise, he'd rather poop in the house. Its getting really frustrating :mad:. I can walk him around the yard for 15min and nothing and then within 5min of being inside [/ ]

sounds like you just have to out wait him when you have him outside, just keep walking him until he goes then give him praise for going so he understands what he is getting the treat and praise for. It takes patience but you can do it, just bundle up and keep walking until he does his poop.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Can you wait a bit longer before taking him out and then trigger it easier with less time outside? We did every 2 hrs needed or not for the repetition and consistency that he has to go out there so I never had any troubles at all but I would increase the times going out as well as a walk until he goes like mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I would probably go out side a little later too and walk around a bit longer and when he goes outside praise him, it just takes time and patience.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
You said he always goes in the same 2 spots, are they spots that you are willing to keep potty (or poop pads in his case i guess) on those spots? Since we moved to IL, we don't have a fence and it's way too much hassle to put one in with Navy housing and all so we kinda started not going out as often. I didn't mean to do that on purpose, I just always look outside to see if anyone is out there or any dogs since they go bananas and will run straight to them if someone is outside. Turns out that they both started going to the same spot in the basement if they needed to go and we didn't realize that they went to the door. Which is perfectly fine by me since they chose the basement and there's no carpet or anything down there. It is a finished basement that we have turned into a TV/game room with a bathroom and a closet but it has crappy tile that's easy to clean up. My other question if that's not something you're willing to do is, is there any way to block off those two "special spots" of his, keep an eye on him after you come back in the house and when you catch him trying to get to the blocked off areas run him right back outside to see if he'll go then? Am I making any sense? I hope I'm not just rambling on to you, it's kinda early so my brain isn't fully awake yet.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
My suggestion is to watch him like a hawk; notice the signs. As soon as he gets into the #2 position, clap your hands, say a firm and loud No, and rush him outside. When he goes, lots of praise. This was the only thing that really had an "aha" moment for Remi. The bells on the door is also quite handy.

We had a similar issue where we'd take him out every 2 hours and he would still manage to not go outside, but go in the house. If Remi doesn't go in the first 5-10 minutes, it simply wasn't going to happen.

Hope this is helpful. Hang in there; it's a lot of work, but will totally pay off in a matter of days. The trick at that point is consistency.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would say to watch him closely when he comes back in and catch him in the act. That way you can stop him and put him outside!!

M

mabel lou

How about taking him out like you do and if he doesn't have to go then walk him in and place him in his cage for a few minutes and then repeat the process again since he has to go once you come back in the house. He is learning to go elsewhere so I would just put him in a area of where he either won't go because it is his sleeping area or he will hold it maybe so you can take him out again. He will learn the routine that you have set in place for him

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
You have gotten some great advice so far! Is there anything in those two spots that is holding his scent?? He is getting used to it so in his mind he thinks its ok. I would try to remove the scent if you can. I know with Winston if he did go in the house we immediately picked him up and brought him outside and told him this is where you go to the bathroom. After two or three times he understood that when he had to go he needed to sit by the door. They are very smart these bullies! It just takes time & lots of patience. Good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My female is lie that too, my male Dozer will go pee and pooh every time, and right away, usually in the same corner of the yard. He has his spot. Blossom, will go pee every time, and right away, but it takes her forever to go pooh. She has to sniff around forever, and sometimes after 15 minutes she still won't go. I bring her back in crate her for a few minutes, and either look for the signs she needs to go, or I take her back out, she needs to walk , sniff, walk, and find her sniffy spot, then she circles until she finally goes, it is very frustrating when you have to get ready for work , but I also have my husband here in the morning, as he works nights, so he can try when he gets home. We've had a couple of accidents, but for the most part she will eventually go. When she does we praise her and give her a treat. She doesn't go as often as Dozer does, he usually goes every time he goes out, and she may go only 2 times a day. Good luck, it's just trial and error and finding what their rhythms and sweet spots are.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have no help to render on this one. Amber was 8 weeks old in the winter when we were house breaking her and honestly I don't think she cares about the cold. Now, rain is another story but the cold isn't a problem. She goes out and I get my heavy slippers on, a good coat/sweater, a hot cup of coco or chicken broth and stand out there and wait on her. My problem is getting her to come back in after she does her business; I am freezing and she thinks its play time......silly bully!!

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
No help from here either. Our Bacon have an issue with the rain. She is freaked out by it. She would beg to come in even if I stand out there I the rain with her. She never had an accident for the last 2.5 months but when it rains she won't go outside. She goes inside one time while I was carrying her. I tried keeping her on a leash but then she would just run around all freaked out.
So far it's only happened twice hopefully she gets over it.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
You have lots of great info so far. Is it cold where you live? My french bulldog is a lot like Champ (and she's 4!!). Ever since it started getting cold out she does not want to be outside. She will just stand there and look at me! We know when she is about to go in the house, she will sneak off in another room and she never goes to a room with no one in it. Then after she goes she will start running around like crazy. What has helped us to make her go outside is keeping her warm while outside. We will put on her fleece that Lari P made her or her jacket we got her from Petco. She just likes to be warm at all times in and outside, this has worked wonders for us! Hope this helps! :)

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Need some advice guys. It seems like ever since it started to get colder out Champ refuses to go #2 outside. No matter how long i walk him around the yard, give him treats and praise, he'd rather poop in the house. Its getting really frustrating :mad:. I can walk him around the yard for 15min and nothing and then within 5min of being inside he'll sneak away and we'll realize where he was. He always does it in the same 2 spots in the house too. He rarely has any accidents of peeing inside but for whatever reason he just won't poop outside. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

This may be silly, but is Champ cold? Peeing is more out of his control than #2. If he has to pee, he HAS to go. But he can hold #2 more easily so he might just hold it because he's cold and wants to get inside.

Bullies get cold surprisingly easily - Tilly shivers if it's under 70 degrees! Try buying Champ a sweater, maybe he won't be so anxious to rush in if he had a little bit of warmth!

OP
S

shongboy

Nov 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Champ
You have lots of great info so far. Is it cold where you live? My french bulldog is a lot like Champ (and she's 4!!). Ever since it started getting cold out she does not want to be outside. She will just stand there and look at me! We know when she is about to go in the house, she will sneak off in another room and she never goes to a room with no one in it. Then after she goes she will start running around like crazy. What has helped us to make her go outside is keeping her warm while outside. We will put on her fleece that Lari P made her or her jacket we got her from Petco. She just likes to be warm at all times in and outside, this has worked wonders for us! Hope this helps! :)

I see you're in boston. I'm in the northeast corner of CT. About 20min south of Worcester so relatively same temp as you.

Could be that he is cold. Funny thing is my g/f was saying we should get him a winter coat when it started getting colder out and i laughed at her and told he's dog he'll be fine. Maybe i'm wrong. All the advice you guys have given is great! Before it was like clockwork, he would eat and then not too long after we would take him out and he would do his thing. We have started making his food lately from one of the recipes we got here but that is only recently and this has been going on for a lil while. We have tried the whole take him out later but that doesn't seem to matter.

My g/f works second shift and i work 3rd so we are usually up pretty late. Most nights she will go to bed her regular time and champ will stay with watching tv on my nights off and i'll take him out before i go to bed which is all different times and still no help. As far as the spots he goes. One is in the dining room which is laminate hard wood and the other is our bedroom which is carpet(that he has absolutely destroyed). I try to watch him when i think he might but its hard. He sleeps with us in bed and sometimes when we go to bed he isn't readily to sleep and he use to jump off, play and then when ready would bark to come back as we have a high bed. I got sick of that so i built him some stairs to get up down as he pleases so some nights he'll got off the bed while we are sleeping and go poop on the floor and then come back to bed like nothing happened.

I'm thinking we might have to get him a jacket and see if that helps and also trying putting him in his pen if he doesn't go and then taking him back out.

Members online

No members online now.